Never underestimate a small Aneurysm

Hey all. its been a while since I have lgged one. Short history. three years ago I suffered a ruptured aneurysm, and shortly there after had Vasospasm. they clipped the ruptured aneurysm and one other on the same side of the ruptured one. They also discovered a third aneurysm on the other side of my brain. Well I went back to work three months after the first aneurysm ruptured with very few problems. after talking with my neuro surgeon we both felt that monitoring the remaining aneurysm would be prudent as it was very small. The surgeon and I nick named it little nubbin. I have regutar CTA scans with follow up by my surgeon. The aneurysm had not changed in size and shape, my blood pressure and stress was under control. In march I started feeling a need to have the surgeon clip the remaining aneurysm. In may I had my normal CTA scan. Even though the aneurysm had not changed, my doctor and I both decided I should have the surgery because of my age, and becuase of my good health. After the surgery the surgeon told my wife that the wall of the aneurysm was so thin, he could see the blood flow inside { scary, I know}.Im dont fine after my surgery on July 18, and returned to work this week. We are still learning about risk factors and probability of ruptures. Just wanted to let those of you sitting on the fence wondering if you should have a surgery or just watch to consider this post.

God bless all

This helped me to hear. I have had my biggie clipped 4 years ago and since they we have been monitoring the small one. My sister has had numerous bleeds with the most recent 2 months ago. (I don't know how she has survived so many and neither does her doctor.) It makes me realize that wait and see is not always the best option.

Carol

So glad you went with your intuition on this one!

Thank you

I have a small (8mm) fusiform aneurysm and nearly three months after it was found, I finally saw a neurosurgeon. I researched a lot in those three months and knew I wanted surgery. I wanted it treated. But he told me he refuses to operate because it’s so small and he thinks it has only a 1% chance of rupturing. He also said no other neurosurgeon would agree to operate and it would be malpractice if anyone did. I’m thinking of getting a second opinion. Reading your story scares me because I have this feeling that I need it taken care of, but I don’t know if it’s instinct or just fear. CT angio scans don’t show enough detail to say for sure if an aneurysm is dangerous. I’m glad you got yours taken care of in time.

Pam, a second opinion, and maybe even a third opinion is a good idea. Worth doing for your peace of mind.

https://www.columbianeurosurgery.org/wp-content/2009/12/Surgical-Tr…

I never had a CTA Neurosurgeon said it’s not required! Said my MRA is sufficient enough hmmm

I had one repaired by endovascular emboiization with coil and stent 5 years ago. The brain aneurysm was 7 mm. I had cerebral angiogram every 6 months for 18 months. Now it shows by angiogram that the embolized aneurysm has started to refill. It is still too small to repair, but doctor will monitor, will possibly repair in 2 years from now. I must say this worries me. The only way of monitoring my neurologist will do is angiogram, which is risky to do so often because it invasive right into the brain.---I would say to you that you should seek second opinion.--- Good luck,

Hi, thanks for posting masterplumber. That’s me. What was the size of the last small aneurysm repaired?

I think it would be hard to live with the knowledge that you have one of these bad boys waiting to cause trouble. Good on you for being brave enough to do it again!

1 Like

I have just got a call to go in to get my 7mm ACA and 5mm MCA clipped a week tomorrow. I am petrified but looking forward to the peace of mind after ( if all goes well)

What was your report at at 6 months? I ask, because my aneurysm was not quite obliterated at my 6 month angiogram. But I was taken off Plavix , told to continue taking daily aspirin and told to return in a year for another follow up angiogram.

Sunny said:

I had one repaired by endovascular emboiization with coil and stent 5 years ago. The brain aneurysm was 7 mm. I had cerebral angiogram every 6 months for 18 months. Now it shows by angiogram that the embolized aneurysm has started to refill. It is still too small to repair, but doctor will monitor, will possibly repair in 2 years from now. I must say this worries me. The only way of monitoring my neurologist will do is angiogram, which is risky to do so often because it invasive right into the brain.—I would say to you that you should seek second opinion.— Good luck,

Wow…I’m surprised they consider that one small.I had a 7mm and they considered it large…they can clip them all the way down to 3-4 mm.Scary,I would get a second opinion.

8 mm is not considered small. If a CT angio is not detailed enough, an arteriogram might be the next step. Do seek another opinion or 2 and research the specific type of aneurysm to see what treatment options are available. Best of luck, keep us posted.