First angiogram, depression and sadness, herbal aids?

So I am scheduled for my first 12 month follow up angiogram on Tuesday and I am scared to death. I don't want to relive any experience that was associated with my SAH, I don't know what the doctor will find or what my prognosis will be. I am still suffering going into days of deep sadness and depression and I can't seem to overcome it. I wonder if it will ever get better. I have been taking Rhodiola Riosea off and on and it seems to really help, but I am worried that maybe its part of the cause - who knows. Anyone have any advice or been through this and know what to expect?

Hi bro, I went through all of that. I got lucky with no craniotomy and just a coiling but the bleed was severe.

Just had my follow up angio (6mth) and the results were cryptic.

My advice is to approach the uncontrollable as exactly what it is and try not to think about it. Easier said than done I know. fot me the follow ups are important because what I don’t know I obsess over. Once I know the details of something good or bad it becomes understandable and I can repress the urge to overthink. Can you look at it that way?

Btw the sadness is normal

You are right - the unknown causes fear and anxiety. I suppose even if the news is not good, at least I will know and can take action on it.

I have had major ups and downs in the past year as I am sure all of us have. I've never had cancer or any other severe medical issue, but brain aneurysms are awful.

Part of my struggle has also been related to my own personality. I naively expected myself to heal in 6 weeks and go about life as usual. After one year and still battling I start getting very upset with myself as if its my own weakness or something, which I know is not true. I had a massive bleed and completely lost consciousness prior to the clipping - I should not have lived, but I did and could be in a lot worse shape.

Unfortunately the aneurysm has caused other tough challenges - like the anxiety and mind racing over obsession with any other minor issue in life. I am getting better though.

I'm also a Christian and my faith has had some extreme highs and some lows - I know remaining faithful is critical for me to continue to heal.

BTW I see you are from Australia. I grew up in SA and am a big Springbok fan. I remember hating the aussies as a kid whenever I would watch them play SA in a rugby or cricket game lol :)

Hope you continue to heal and get better.

Mike said:

Hi bro, I went through all of that. I got lucky with no craniotomy and just a coiling but the bleed was severe.

Just had my follow up angio (6mth) and the results were cryptic.

My advice is to approach the uncontrollable as exactly what it is and try not to think about it. Easier said than done I know. fot me the follow ups are important because what I don't know I obsess over. Once I know the details of something good or bad it becomes understandable and I can repress the urge to overthink. Can you look at it that way?

Btw the sadness is normal

I had angiograms every six months Number Nine. I know it sounds strange, but I’d rather have the angiogram and go home that day, then the rupture and be in ICU again. When you get the first one behind you, you will think, “Jeesh,what was I worried about?” Your brain will keep healing, you must work it like any other part of your body.

I don’t know about herbal supplements, but I would discuss them with your doctor. Some can react adversely with any medication you may be taking. I was under orders to increase fluids and protein. Even after 2 1/2 years, those two things help more than anything else. I do drink a chamomile tea at night that has been successful for me.

Depression is pretty common for people who rupture as we have to figure out what we can do and cannot do. Things that can help is to look back and see what you have accomplished this last year. Set some immediate goals that you can obtain - getting up at a given time, getting dressed, taking care of your hygiene, do one thing for someone else everyday, pick up after yourself. Set a weekly goal and a monthly goal - break those goals into steps that you can achieve. One of the things I did was start walking, just the driveway, then to the neighbor’s until eventually I could walk around the block. I started lifting weights, not the bar kind as I cannot bend without compromising speech and tremor, just the little ones you hold in your hands. I actually started with some really light pipe and worked up over months to ten pounds. I would do many reps since I was just sitting around anyways. I found just being physical helps a lot. Then decide what time you should go to bed and work to that goal. You may also want to find a therapist, hopefully one who is knowledgeable in Neuro issues. There’s been some wonderful leaps with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and PTSD as well as military with brain injuries.

As for faith, well everyone has their own path. For me, everyone who survived a rupture has a second chance to give back, pass it forward, make a positive difference in someone’s life, if that’s their calling. I would suggest speaking with someone at your church.

I hope you have good news with your first angiogram and please check back in so we know how it went. Keep your glass half full and remember to breathe!