Father who had brain aneurysm surgery

My father had surgery for a brain aneursym in 4/2013. Had he not had a blood infection we would not found out about it. Dad is 68 years of age. He was active in the yard and with cleaning/detailing the cars and helping others. Since the surgery it's been quite an adjustment for him as well as the rest of the family. He's forgetful, very moody, depressed (at times), frequent headaches and sleeps alot. There are days where he gets a boost of energy to tackle some things around the house but then if he does too much he is then confined to his bed for a few days with a bad headache.
I really don't know of many people here locally that have experienced a loved one having the surgery. It breaks my heart to see him in the condition he is in at times. I know it will take some time as it wasn't just a simple surgery. Once he had the initial surgery he had to go back in a week later for a pump to be installed to control the leaking.
Any advise or suggestions anyone has would greatly be appreciated.

Hi there! Welcome! glad your here since the site has helped me so much since my sah rupture in 09. Hang in there he is still early in the healing process. Do you mean a shunt? I've never heard of a pump. Was he clipped craniomitry style or was he coiled from the femoral artery in the groin? Even regular folks at his age display the same issues as you describe but once brain surgery is done it seems as tho they are magnafyed. I''ll keep you all in thoughts and prayers~~

Dad had the clipping procedure done. He did not wake for four days after the surgery. He was brought home maybe 3-4 days after he woke. They sent him home with an obvious bump of fluid on his forehead. Told us to be careful and if it burst to rush him to the ER. After a week of major headaches and other issues we had he went back to the doctor which they immediately admitted him due to the fluid built up on his brain. That is when they had to install a pump behind his right ear.

There are many days/nights he does stuff that is out of the ordinary and does not remember a thing.

Your dad and his brain are still healing...it takes time...sometimes the smallest improvements to you are big for the brain survivor...have patience and lots of love...it is a hard road...~ Gotcha all in my thoughts ~ Colleen

Better Days...welcome...you all are going through a lot...

Have you asked the docs why he was sent home so soon...before they observed / tested his status?

It is frightening to me to read...started to ask if clip or coil...and read your above response...

Pat

P.S. to below...

What is the pump called and did the docs explain its anticipated time? Was it a shunt?

Which artery/segment was the aneurysm located on?

What have the neuro-docs explained about the recovery process...what he can do...

Should his hearing and vision be tested? Has his driving been restricted?

Has there been a referral to a neurologist?

I could readily ask if that is the treatment geared at the seniors...yet, we see such similar in the much younger...Was no rehab potential described/recommended for him?

Pat

We have asked several times why they sent him home to what we thought was so soon. When he woke after being out for four days they monitored him in ICU. He was weak and had a really bad headaches. With the headaches all they would do will give him more meds. When he was able to talk and walk on his own is when they sent him home. He had the clipping procedure done for the reason he had a aneurysm with another one attached to it and the dr's also thought with his age and heart issues this would be the better option. He was still in pain so the dr's prescribed Methadone. This was a nightmare! I can't even describe what he was doing. Least to say it was not my Dad. My Dad is kind, caring and loving. We had to call the dr to change his meds. He didn't know what he was doing and sometimes seemed like he was doing it in his sleep. After being home a week with the fluid still built up on his head they admitted him back in the hospital. They first did an angiogram (I believe is the correct term)to drain the fluid. It worked for maybe two hours. They had to wait 2-3 days before they had to do the shunt procedure. So within less than two weeks he had two procedures done.

We have also asked about getting him help such as rehab but have been told since he can walk and talk there is nothing they can do.

Better Days...I so regret what your dad and his family have gone thru during the process...

Further regret, that we are generally discharged...w/little to no recovery instructions, referrals, recommendations, transfers... Some recover so well from rehab, like some of our members, others remain in care facilities... Limited stats on the percentages...

Most facilities put a patient thru some basic testing before discharge...of their memory, ability to cook an egg, etc...(mine did not) besides if they talk and walk...

Did you ask the docs if "nothing they can do"...is that Medicare/Medicare B restricted? OR???

Well, I could talk...with global aphasia and anomia...so you coulda heard anything...

Has your dad's hearing and vision been tested?

Yes, I could also walk...trip on curbs, fall down stairs/steps...run into walls/doors...because I could not judge distance...let alone not have balance/coordination...
If your dad's driving has not been addressed by the docs...beg/plead with you to pursue that... before he may have a fantasy memory of what he used to do/enjoy...

For meds...you can pull up much data off the 'net on each one...I highly recommend subscribing to www.worstpills.org under the Public Citizen organization...you can check out their websites...The cost is $15/year for subscription for more detail...

In this forum site...search for Two Books...I highly recommend from the BAF main website... the authors are neurosurgeons...the books are easy to read (even for those of us who have to read/outline/re-read/study and pray for memory...)...

Those books maybe so helpful...it was quicker/easier for me to read first, the one by Dr. Eric Nussbaum...

RE: angios...one or both of the books addresses the use of angios during the surgery, too...if my memory did not slip too far...

Prayers,

Pat