Disability process, paperwork, legalities and more

I don’t want to discourage anyone, but my SAH was sept 2013. I have been denied ever since. The SS system is brutal. Everyone keeps telling me to keep s as plying, but I need to live. I believe it’s time to try to work. I know it will be hard. I’m not anywhere beAr where I was, but I have to do something, just not sure what. I’m going to stay positive and trust in dc God and myself. There is a reason why I’m still here. Keep the faith everyone. We dc are survivors, literally.:pray:t4:

I was told to hire an attorney the first time I applied by the ladies at SS. Have you attempted to go that route yet? The attorney can only be awarded up to 25% or $6,000; whichever the lesser amount is

Yes! I had an attorney and still was denied. All the tears of stress and paperwork were a waste of time because I have to start all over again. New attorneys said that I have to be unemployed for a year before they take my case. I had to work part time and it messed up my case. I need my doctors, meds. Etc. what is one to do??? I’m thinking about doing something to make a living. Not sure what. The waiting is brutal. Thank you.

The waiting is ridiculous. Can you believe this thread was posted 6 years ago? SSA and attorneys are no more aware of the disabling after effects now then they were 6+:years ago. It is just a sad situation. I don’t tell anybody about my rupture. The few people I have had to tell look at me with a blank look, I could have just as easily said I had a bad headache and they would have understood it better. In fact, the local hospital I was taken to does have my diagnosis listed on my patient portal as headache.

It’s sad, but that’s where we are, and so far there is no one to speak on our behalf. Maybe, because we are still here and not totally messed up, they don’t know what to do with us. We are the phenomenon, the unusual. No one wats to take the time. It’s just not right.

1 Like

I would have to say Mary and Msjay, to get everyone you know to write to your government officials, especially when they are looking at bills that are being lobbied. It is amazing how many of the folks working on the hill know someone who has ruptured and survived, ruptured and died, or has someone on the watch list. I was denied several times, before receiving my SS disability. The attorney knew I would be denied and was expecting that I would have to be seen by a judge. It appears that every State knows there’s a problem with the system, but they don’t hire more judges to cover the backlogs. Nevertheless, you must be willing and able to wait out the appeal process. It’s the ability part that’s very hard financially.

I’ve waited out the appeal process twice. When the last one was denied because I didn’t attend the hearing, which was on the day my aneuysm ruptured, well, I just decided to throw in the towel. I don’t have the patience for this anymore. I’ve been “in” the process for 14 years. I have had multiple issues since this began. If I could have just filed as an alcoholic or drug addict and it would have been approved and all over and done. For me, in more than one way.

I can’t play the stupid game anymore. I really don’t have the ability to deal with any of it anymore. My brain is mush and making a decision is above my pay level right now

They’ve changed the disability rules for addicts in the last few years. Seems like your lawyer could’ve and IMHO, should’ve postponed your hearing for you or did some request with the judge, once he/she learned of your rupture. I hate you’ve had to endure not only the hoops of trying to get disability but a rupture in top of it!

Is there something that we can do as survivors??? I’m in Virginia. How do we get congress to hear us???

Don’t apologize Mary, we are all different with different interests and skill sets! It’s what makes us work so well in this group.

Msjay, If you go to the BAF, they will be letting everyone know how to either participate in lobbying or how to contact your Congressman or Senators with the appropriate bills. Congress starts with the letters HR and the Senate starts with the letter S

1 Like

They currently have H.R.594 - Ellie’s Law. You can go to Congress gov and sign up for updates if there is any movement on the bill. I have contacted my senator and expressed my thoughts as best I can.

Lobbying is fast paced and it is not only physically but mentally exhausting. I have lobbied in the past and I know there is no way I could even begin to keep up the pace. I wish everyone going a successful day and I give them my deepest gratitude for going.

1 Like

Be careful as the bill numbers will change this year! They change every year. And with Kevin at the helm of the attorneys, it’s not so exhausting. They do a very good job!