Dementia like-symptoms, 46 y.o. Female, 3 years post-clipping bypass

Dear friends,

In the past few weeks I have been having problems that are dementia-like. I can’t identify that there was a problem (except for memory and word-finding) until later. For example, I am sure I locked a door, then the next day it’s not locked. I am having problems doing my job, when I go back the next day something was not finished even though I am staying an extra 5 minutes to double-check my work. It’s almost like someone is playing a cruel-joke (but it’s only me).

With my memory, I watched a t.v. show series 2 days ago and then when watching the next episode, I was not able to follow because I didn’t remember what happened previously.

It feels like this has come on very suddenly, I have had some memory issues over the past few years, but this is not just memory, it is confusion and not ability to “see” things. For example, I could not “see” where the put my credit card in at the gas station. Normally one does not even look, you just know. Now I have to look and find.

I have checked my face for droopage (none) and also cannot tell that I had a stroke of any kind.

Are there kinds of dementia that are stroke caused, but you don’t have outward symptoms? Also any other kinds of possible causes related to our brain surgeries?

I had a brain bypass. Neurologist appt is in October, hopefully that is not too late?

1 Like

Good Morning trekhard! I’m sorry to hear that you’re experiencing some troubles, it does sadden me. I used to say that I hoped I got Alzheimer’s before I got cancer(due to all the CTA’s) My Neuro RN corrected me and said dementia. It was funny in the moment. Unfortunately, there is an increased risk for us. https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1161/STROKEAHA.116.015242

There are many more studies but this is one I chose.

With all that there is hope and things we can do

Again there is information all over the Internet, this is one I happened to chose: https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/risk-factors-and-prevention/how-reduce-your-risk-dementia

Call your PCP and have them give you a quick look. They may have some suggestions specifically for you. While it may seem counterintuitive, especially when we feel tired, but exercising our brain and bodies is one of the best things we can do. I know it has helped me a lot…

And please, please write down these questions and issues for your Neurologist.

I met a woman who had an SAH and she was far more functional than I. She can drive hundreds of miles, she can still work. She doesn’t have aphasia, stutter, tremor or an odd accent. She doesn’t repeat some simple words like “wait” or “no” three times when she speaks. No photophobia, no increased issues with sound…She shared she uses sticky notes all over her desk at work. She also uses calendars, writing on a physical calendar as well as putting things in her work calendar on the computer and her phone calendar. Yes it seems like more work, but she is able to get it done.

Don’t give up on yourself! You will find tricks to combat this! Big hugs trekhard!

Thank you so much!

I started this morning by trying to recount the t.v. show I watched last night. I also bought a thesaurus to help with aphasia (which I do have). No one would be able to tell I have this and I do believe I can get around it with memos. But it is scary as I have a job caring for pets. The hardest part is that I think I did something, then I discover the next day I didn’t. Also when people interrupt me, it completely stops me from finishing my task. It’s also hard as I never know now if I told my husband something or not. I can’t argue as I just don’t know what was said. I know, but I don’t know the exact words. Thanks for writing back, it is depressing. The depressing part is not knowing the future, is it going to get worse or better? Is it a sign something is wrong with me? Did I have a stroke that I didn’t know about? Am I able to work? My husband just temporarily retired and we were going to be relying on me working for a few months. Now I feel like I can’t safely work for my clients… :frowning:

Pets, like children have a tremendous ability to rebound, don’t worry about the four legged clients. The two legged are not quite the same…you might want to carry a memo book with notes on each client of what needs done and check it off. Or use a smart phone if you have one. I don’t know about the Androids but I’m sure they’re similar to the iPhones, there is a note section that you can put circles in front of each task, when you’re done with that task, simply click on the circle and it’s finished. I use it daily. There is also another feature that I can use to set reminders and times to be done, it will pop up and warn me or let me know I forgot about it. Something my Speech Therapist taught me was each morning to look at my calendar for the day and date, look at my calendar for any appointments I may have and then look or create a to do list.

Things do get better! Not long after I was released from Neuro ICU, I had to go to the local ER. I couldn’t remember how to sign my name. I looked away and was able to allow muscle memory to take over. I can now look and sign it. I used to have an unbelievable memory. Once in court, I actually recalled over a dozen meds without looking at my index cards. I could simply close my eyes, or not and recall everything. Can’t do that anymore, can’t visualize any longer. I even took or had family and friends send photos so I could put them in my phone. When they call, their picture comes up. With just a number and no name or photo attached, I don’t know who it is and most likely won’t answer.

It is extremely aggravating when someone interrupts our flow, be it words or tasks. I lose my place, so to speak and find it difficult to get back to what I was doing. I simply can’t remember. That’s where my notes come in handy! Folks who know me wait until I take a break, or they don’t try to give me a word that I’m describing but don’t remember. If it’s not the exact word, I lose all my words.

I started keeping notes on conversations that were semi important so when my BH would say something about my recall, I would have something to refer to. It helped my self esteem tremendously. Just because someone has not undergone brain surgery doesn’t necessarily mean they have the best recall roflol

Even our beloved Veterinarian has given me rules to live by. I’m not allowed to take one of the dogs to the ER Vet unless I contact her first. Yes I have her personal number, we’ve known each other for almost 30 years. I used to be extremely calm in stressful situations. A couple months ago, our oldest rescue impaled her chest out in the woods, I lost all my words. It didn’t look bad, no blood, just a fifty cent piece size wound. But drama queen was just issuing a little whimper every now and then. I did call Dr. Kim, but we didn’t wait and we took her to the ER Vet she recommended. She knew it was bad, because even she couldn’t understand me. It was much worse than even the ER Vet thought.

Then last month, our other rescue had an injury. That rescue was extremely abused by her first owner. It is imperative that we stay calm around her. I actually was able to drive the 30 miles to the ER Vet! So yes things do get better, just have to work on it…

I’m so sorry that you are feeling these memory issues. I’m seven years post SAH (coiling). I been having these same issues at times. I second check everything. I’ve left my keys in the door of my house overnight. I forget tv shows as well. I’m not sure why this happens, but I will see my pcp and neurologist as well. It’s not fun. A little scary, but do what you can to make you feel safe. Check yourself to make sure you have done what you thought, if you can remember. Memory is a tricky thing. I pray that you and all of us with memory issues will find ways to offset our shortcomings. It sucks not having a support system or reason for these type of episodes, and something to make them better, or for us at least understand why. I’ll be praying for you. Please be patient with yourself. I know it’s frustrating, but we have no other choice. Feel better and I’m here for you.

2 Likes

Trekhard, please call your neurologist and let him/her know about these symptoms. In 2018, my mother began to complain of dementia symptoms ~5 years after having an aneurysm clipped, but due to her age, it didn’t occur to us that it could be related to the aneurysm. A few months later, she suffered a debilitating SAH, and we discovered that her aneurysm had grown dramatically since her last scan.

I’m not trying to scare you, but knowing what I do now, I’m heartbroken that we didn’t immediately press my mom to follow up with her neurologist when she started to show symptoms. You write “It feels like this has come on very suddenly.” Don’t wait until October. Ask for a scan now–it really can’t hurt, and will hopefully give you some peace of mind.

1 Like

It seems that you could control your life for some points.

Hope, my info will help,
I suggest that testing your brain, example
you locked the door, then you ask to yourself, “Did I lock the door?” then if “you did”, talk to yourself “you did a good job!”

When I was in bed, I saw my surgeon as three person.
and saw the sign. My doc and nurses suggested me to test what I see. It works. It is about the channel from my eyes to brain.

2 Likes

Thank you everyone. I contacted my surgeon’s office and he is saying to do a CT-angiogram so it is going to be checked out. I feel relief!

1 Like

Thank you Raspberry Pie. Luckily the surgeon is going to call in a scan for me. So sorry you had to go through that with your mom.

Hi Clare–so glad they’re going to do the scan, and I hope you get reassuring results and a clearer head soon!

1 Like

Trekhard,

I rarely visit this site anymore as I moved on from my issues related to aneurysm but I can relate to your post. My rupture occurred in brainstem which is far away from higher brain areas but I found similar issues especially in reading comprehension and also in recalling TV shows or movies that I watch recently. In my case, I have a central vestibular disorder stemming from my rupture which caused a small stroke. In turn, it affects my visual ocular system so I have eye ataxia resulting in jumping eyes (nystagmus). In a cognitive reading evaluation, I scored poorly. Initially, I thought it is due to my poor vision due to the nystagmus and double vision but after getting my double vision corrected, I still scored poorly. I don’t have any issues with the rest of my cognition like writing (composition), math, auditory memory, long term memory. My Neuro-Ophthalmologist at Stanford explained that the vision system plays a big part in short term memory and my vision system has been compromised. I would do 2 things: Request a reading and writing neuro-evaluation. It is a standard test where your reading and writing will be ranked. Secondly, ask your surgeon whether the artery which was bypassed is related to memory, the vision system or higher brain function. The CT-angiogram may come back clean but if the bypass occurred in the area which is responsible for higher brain functions and you have data from reading evaluation that shows a problem with memory, you have an avenue for further diagnostic and treatment.

1 Like

You are describing the exact symptoms I was experiencing right before my diagnosis of aneurysms was made. I had 3. Left temple, center above my forehead and right temple. None were good but the one on the right was dangerous. I had two open cranial surgeries in one year.
Recovery took years.
Before the surgeries…I was being treated for high cholesterol. I had two iliac stents placed.
I mention all of that because 1. I was told I had early onset dementia when I described the exact symptoms you were describing and 2.
I think (just my opinion) that if you have vascular issues in one area, aneurysms, you might have them in other areas.
My first diagnosis was early onset dementia. Thank God that was CRAP! Sudden onset of memory issues is something you should investigate but believe me…don’t take that diagnosis lying down.
Also…if you haven’t done it already, I did a cognitive study before the brain surgeries and then a year after. I wanted a baseline and I wanted a measurable test so that I would know what I was dealing with.
Don’t accept this diagnosis without a very through exam, okay?
Best of luck!!

1 Like

2Fight, I always enjoy your willingness to share information! Thank you for the reading and writing neuro eval, I’d never heard of it!

Great info, thank you!
One thing I have noticed about my vision, while it seems pretty normal, I have noticed that I have to type everything twice (on my phone) because I keep hitting the wrong keys. So maybe that is tied in!

Jubilee, Does a neurologist do a cognitive study?

Luckily I do not have a formal diagnosis, those are just my symptoms. My nana didn’t get dementia until her 80’s and my mom and dad are almost 80 and they are both sharp, so it does not really make sense to be dementia, more likely a vascular issue. :slight_smile:

No, the neurologist doesn’t do it but he can request it. It really helped me to have a baseline and a discussion
with my psychiatrist and my psychologist. I had both at the time. I needed to know what was happening because that
kind of memory loss is scary. It didn’t help that I was in full on menopause. You’re not losing your mind! Good luck and
I hope this helps!

1 Like