Concussion And Annie

I have had 3 concussions and 2 other small head bonks/ I know I need to wear a helmet at all times. :slight_smile:
My question: Can repeat concussions ( 2 losing consciousness) cause Annies?

Good Morning @Abbycat70! There are a lot of theories of what causes aneurysms and they donā€™t really know. One of those theories is concussions. Iā€™ve had a few myself, one being a very nasty one when I was 13 months old or so Iā€™m told. Mom always said the side of my head swelled up like a grapefruit. There are other theories of course, familial links, obesity, smoking, high blood pressure, stress, etc. last time I had a procedure, my surgeon mentioned she and her team want to study genomes and their relationship to aneurysms. Personally, I think she is on to something. Otherwise, everyone with the aforementioned issues would have aneurysms and they are just too rare. What do you think?

1 Like

Well, letā€™s seeā€¦I need to lose weight, I have been a smoker, my emotions are bigā€¦could be something to this theory.

The doctor is going to put in an order for an MRA. I tried to get a CT because
I hate the MRI machine, but no can do,

I think itā€™s certainly possible - my neurosurgeon asked me if I had any history of head trauma, because I donā€™t have any other risk factors for aneurysm (no high blood pressure, mine is actually on the low end, no hereditary history, never a smoker, etc). At the time I said no, but my brain finally reminded me about a time in college that I hit my head pretty hard (got a nasty goose egg), and it was in the exact location of my aneurysm (which wasnā€™t detected until about 14 years later, a slow growing near-giant size, if that theory is true that itā€™s from hitting my head). I never received medical treatment for the head injury, so I donā€™t know if I had a concussion, but I donā€™t remember having any typical symptoms of one.

1 Like

Whoaaaa there, Abbycat! Donā€™t be blaming yourself for whatā€™s happened. Nobody knows why these things occur, and unless youā€™ve got some research that points that way, why beat yourself up over it? (And even then ā€¦ beating yourself up doesnā€™t get you anywhere, well anywhere good, anyway.) Now my theory is that aneurysms are caused by drinking milk at a young age. Iā€™ll bet if you pressed them, everybody on this support site would admit to having started drinking the stuff shortly after they were born. And every last one of 'em has a BA. There. Perfect correlation: that must be it. :crazy_face:

Rude of me to butt in without an introduction. Iā€™m Seenie, and Iā€™m one of the ModSupport team: I work with the one and only Merl, our man ā€œdownunderā€. Merlā€™s much cooler than I am, so itā€™s just as well he drops in more often than I do.

Abbycat weā€™re glad youā€™re here, although itā€™s a total bummer that you ā€œqualifyā€ for this club. The people here are great, though, and the amount of shared experience on this community is absolutely astounding. Hang in there, and hang out here. Itā€™ll do you all kinds of good.

Seenie

Thank you. I think it was fateā€™s way of getting me to get scanned when I had that stroke, now I see everyone in there

1 Like

Seenie, Iā€™m falling off the chair laughing so much!

Hey Abbycat,
I have to agree with Seenie ā€œDonā€™t be blaming yourself for whatā€™s happened.ā€

Often there is no clearly identifiable reason/cause. Iā€™ve had medicos give me the it could be ā€˜Xā€™ or it could be ā€˜Yā€™ speech. But to be honest, using their theory, it could be any other letter in the alphabet too. They really donā€™t know. Often they like to run through the ā€˜health historyā€™ then ā€˜Family historyā€™ then ā€˜lifestyleā€™ looking for that cause/effect. I bamboozled them a bit, my health history is not good, my family history is not good and my lifestyle is not good. They didnā€™t know which one to pick :roll_eyes: :smile:

Personally, I think one of the problems here is that we often go to drā€™s looking for answers and although they often donā€™t like admitting it, they donā€™t ALWAYS have the answers, they often just donā€™t know. Some people can go through life ā€˜green, clean and sereneā€™ and still end up in the exact same place and yet others can have repeated head trauma, drink, smoke and have no ill affects at all. The reality is no one really knows why. There are some medicos who will swear itā€™s head trauma, some will swear itā€™s smoking, some will swear itā€™s related to a stress levels, but NOBODY can pinpoint a cause/effect. For years I had drā€™s telling me my symptoms were all in my head (Imaginary), little did I know just how close they were. It was all in my headā€¦ ā€¦just not imaginary.

Itā€™s normal to want answers, but the reality is often there isnā€™t one.

Merl from the Modsupport Team

1 Like