Coiling

When they say coils may have to be redone, if the coils don't work is there still a chance of rupture before it's corrected?

Great question????? I often second guess my Coiling decision. My Brain Aneurysm is large and has a very wide neck. I fear failure of coils because of wide neck.

Hve you been told what happens if they fail eg. does it bleed.

No..I was told nothing. I am on once a year scans to check. From what I have read from others it's the same lightening bolt headache, neck pain like first bleed was. My guess is, if it happens we will know.

Hey Fiona

It seems to me from reading others experiences on this site, it sounds like each situation is different from the next when it comes to having to add more coils....Like in my case, I had absolutely zero follow up after they did my coils--I left the hospital with no warning that this was something that may need to be dealt with again down the line--I had no followup Angio, no MRI or CT scans, nothing..then 3 years after having the coils and thinking all was well, out of the blue a pain hit me so hard and fast it dropped me to the ground. The pain I experienced was very much the same pain i remembered from 3 years earlier (before my coils were placed) So in the hospital they said I'd had another bleed and it was from the coiled aneuyrsm. I was truly shocked. BUT keep in mind one thing that's important , I had NO followup. Every single person I've read about on this site, has had followup Angio's, CT's, MRI's or at least some sort of imaging done on their skulls post coiling, I'm the only one I know of so far that hadn't had any followup. So with followup you'd likely know in advance (before a bleed were to happen) , if you were in need of more coils or not. So yes, a re-bleed can occur , BUT getting followups to keep an eye on the coiled annie should keep you safe from a re-bleed . At any rate, make sure you get your follow ups no matter which procedure you go with ! Peace, Janet

Just wondering - did you get a stent to support the coils or not? I just had my wide-necked annie coiled and I find myself worrying the coils will fall out, although the doc has assured me they won’t!