Clinoid Coradid Artery Aneurysm

Hi, I am new to this site. I have responded to a few posts, but am still learning to navigate the pages.
I have a 5mm aneurysm and have had some changes going on. Up until this year it had been 4.5 and 4.6 for 3 years. I am having my first angiogram through the wrist and I am scared. Any information that you can share me?

Welcome Magnoliacc! Angiograms are always apprehensive aren’t they? I have never had one yet through the wrist.

But at my last angiogram, a couple years ago, Dr. Wolfe said they were starting to go through the radial artery. What I’ve read here is that it’s not as problematic as going through the groin. I do know it’s been a common practice for cardiologists to see the heart for a long time it seems. I look at it as there being less travel for the catheter which I prefer to view as a good thing. I hope the members who have had the procedure done through this route will come and share their experiences. I’m very interested as I might have to have another…

1 Like

Hi Magnoliacc, I’m kinda new to the group as well. My aneurysm was an unruptured 5mm located in the communicating artery. I had my first angiogram last Oct 2019. Mine was done threw the groin so I can’t give any advice about the wrist, but I can tell you that having it done was a mental life saver!! Just knowing the characteristics and the best treatment helped me to deal with my anxiety. It allowed me to make a stable decision on whether to sit and wait or to take care of it, I choose not to play the waiting game. I had a new procedure called webbing. I understand that it will possibly stand in place of coiling and clipping one day. Very impressive procedure. Anyways I’ve had my 6mo follow up angiogram and all is good. Now in another year and a half I’ll go in for another follow up angiogram and I’m interested in hearing about your experience threw the wrist. I hope you get the same comfort that I did and Im looking forward hearing your story. Best wishes and prayers. Boots

2 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I pray this is something that can be handled the same way. I guess I am just scared of the unknown. I suffer from anxiety anyway, so this has just compounded that issue. I will update on this site when it is all done and hopefully I can help someone else too.

Best Regards,

Mary

1 Like

I am a three time wrist angio. The first I couldn’t tell you a thing about. I can’t tell you a thing for a 3 week period but that’s a story for another day. My annie ruptured and I had a SAH stroke. The second angio was very uneventful. Several years ago I had to have an endarectomy because of carotid stenosis. I had a groin angio that was unsuccessful so they did the endarterectomy the next morning. I was pretty dopey but I remember the groin procedure and I remember after. They had my leg strapped down for a while because I was having a lot of pain and I just couldn’t lay flat and still. There is no comparison with the wrist. I didn’t feel a thing the second time. I had a pinpoint where they went in. I was up and out of there as soon as they could get the bleeding to clot. No pain, no problems at all. I was on plavix and I expected to be black and blue and I didn’t even have a bruise. My third one was the one that scared me the worst. I had broken my wrist. They had to plate and pin the wrist and it was right where they went in to do the angiogram. I was preaching. I didn’t want to have to have a groin angiogram and the orthopedic surgeon didn’t act like it was any of his concern. I suppose it wasn’t. Six months later, I had my third angio. They were able to go through the wrist. The only difference I noticed was there seemed to be more bleeding that time. When then took me to recovery, the nurse commented on why she got so lucky to get the blood bath patient. I asked her if anybody got the license plate number of the car that hit me. You won’t have that one to worry about. They were working around a fresh scar and a plate but they were able to weave in there and go right on. Nothing like this is a piece of cake but I would rather have the wrist angio instead of the groin any day of the week. Don’t worry… you got this. I am probably on a national list that goes out to doctors as the #1 biggest baby. Let us know how it goes. My surgeons were among the first who ever did the wrist procedure.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I will update here after mine is done on Thursday. It is encouraging to hear that the wrist was mostly positive.

Mary

1 Like

The longest part was getting the bleeding under control. I was on Plavix and knew that was going to be an issue. The wrist wound was the biggest problem because it was so close to their entry point and the wound was too fresh.

Mary, I was wondering did you have to stop Plavix for a few days prior to your procedure? I think my Dad had to stop a week before anything done to him. I just can’t remember.

1 Like

No. I had to stop before my wrist surgery but they had me taking my Plavix for the angiogram on the morning of the surgeries. I kept checking but they said it was fine.

I am not on Plavix yet. That will happen after the aneurysm repair. Hope you dad is okay. :slight_smile:

Mary

Wow that surprises me and good to know, thanks!

Dad is doing fine, wherever he is…I imagine he’s up drinking beer with the family or sipping scotch with his brothers and wanting my mom to fix him something to eat. Besides all the flirting with any angel that will allow it. ROFLOL

Sorry…did not know.

After reading some of your posts and comments I am now wondering if this horrible tinnitus I am having is associated with the aneurysm. It has been getting worse and I have also been getting a cramping sensation in my carotid artery. I have been having more lip and eye twitching too, as well as, weird stinging pain on my tongue. It has all been coming on for the last few months, so it made me wonder if it is connected to the growth and instability of the aneurysm? Just now putting all these symptoms together…tomorrow is angiogram, so I will ask the doctor about all these issues.

It’s all good! No worries. He lived a long life and was able to stay married to mom for 64 years, luck of the Irish I guess.

Good to write down your questions for the Doc tomorrow. Sometimes I get excited and forget…Just remember to get hydrated tonight, water, no caffeine if you can. And check in with us when you’re able. Your doctor may or may not tell you any results after the angiogram. Mine usually does, but once or twice, she had an emergency to attend to.

Best of luck tomorrow!

1 Like

Thanks! Will do that for sure.

1 Like

I have just had my stent procedure and have been told that I’ll need an angiogram in 6 months. The nurse who I spoke to suggested that I get some sedatives from my gp beforehand as I am nervous. I thought it was good advice

1 Like

Thank you all for your advise. My angiogram went very well. As a matter of fact they measured my aneurysm at 3 mm not the 5.2mm the MRI and MRA was showing. I was too out of it to ask why the difference, but will at my next appt.
I had the angiogram through the top wrist area, which is the newest way. It was done on the underside of the wrist and in some cases it still is, but for the brain they can use the top of the wrist down from your thumb. I had to be awake, so I felt more pain than what others might, but it was not bad. I am grateful and blessed!

Glad you did so well! I used to fall asleep during my angiograms. The last one, she used very little anesthesia and I was able to stay awake, follow all her directions and then fell asleep. The doctors can see your aneurysm much better with the angiogram so perhaps that’s all there is to the size difference! Again, really happy you did well and you checked in with us!

1 Like