Checking in

Hi all…Been busy. Back to work 3 days a week. Home Schooling my senior, and being a mom to 2 pitbulls has kept me busy…:wink: Still have dizziness. Had a ct scan, dizziness testing, and have seen a ear doctor and everything has come out fine. Guess my equalibrium is off. Geez! My body literally wants to walk to the right sometimes and I have freaking bruises on my arms to proof it…lol…I have also lost my peripheral vision in my right eye. But hey, if this is all that has happened I am one lucky girl. So happy the weather is breaking. Chicago weather can def. be depressing. I did have a question. Has anyone ever had there kids scanned. I was talking to the neurosuergon at work and he said to get my boys scanned. They are 18 and 20. To be honest with you my stomach turned when he told me that. So I guess I am going to make the appointment. He said to have them scanned every 10 years. Just wanted to check in. I am going on 5 months post op and things are pretty good. I am so thankful.

Hi Sweetie...You sound so upbeat even with many bad effects from the annie...

I understand that it is scary about the boys being scanned, but better that you find out they are clear of annie's or caught before rupture...I have no children, but neuro right away told me if I had children they should be checked right away...also told me my sister's should be checked...it is unfortunate...but better that they can be checked before for rupture...

Keep it enjoying life...you are so worth it...Happy Friday....Colleen

hi meleah,

i had my anny rupture back in oct 09 and my nuero also advised me to do this..my children were 15 and 20 at the time..fall of 2010 i went ahead and scheduled a scan for my oldest,my daughter,who had just turned 21...it all went well and her results came back flawless with no annys...breathing a sigh of relief..i guess its better to be safe than sorry...im glad we did it and def will get my son tested when he turns 18 or 19...good luck n God bless

Great to hear from you and you seem to be doing very well! :slight_smile: I’m dreading having my kids, daughter 21 and son 22 scanned. My mum spoke to her family Dr after my diagnosis and she was scanned. She didn’t tell me the results until just recently but she has an annie on her carotid artery. It’s scary for sure , the good news is she is a good candidate for coiling which I wasn’t. She hasn’t decided what to do as she was also given the option to monitor for awhile. It makes me very anxious.

Meleah...

So glad overall you are doing so well...regret my memory lapses on so many things...There was the genetics research study awhile back...off hand do not know if the results are on the BAF website... and, IF there is any data on how to have family examined... i.e some genetics blood test or only radiographics... I am such a dim-wit...on results... Being such a ditzy...it seems to me there has to be some easy genetics testing...and, not necessarily radiographics... can only suggest you ask your md/neuro ..and, bring the answer back to others in this site...

Your equilibrium...seems many, mostly all, of us, have balance loss...which relates to hearing/vison...I did vision therapy which was magnifiecent...over the years I have had some relapses...

Today I received the Neurology Now magazine which has an article Preventing Falls that references our Vestibular system, the Proprioceptive System and the Visual System ....please go to www.neurologynow.com to access the site and get on their mailing list... I also get their magazine which instigated my response here..

Ironically, I did the visual therapy before I really knew/comprehended auditory loss...and, I have hearing loss as well as the vision loss. Thru vision therapy...I regained my balance, my ability to read/comprehend tho yet sooo slow ( I have to read, re-read, outline for days /weeks, months to learn...at least at my interpretive level...)

Actually, bless your md to some degree for his/her care/concern of your family...we all need to ask so much more... I, personally, am very involved in posterior circulaton arteries and a term, hyperemesis, so please let me know which artery(ies) you had an anurysm...hyperemesis is a term that appeats to be overlooked for women... for two reasons...the main... it is just women and second...it is just women...

Overall, my first impression (personal, non-degreed, non-licensed) is that family/genetics needs to be addressed ...

Somewhere in your family history...there may be another aneurysmal rupture/stroke... because of the adopted, that history is not readily available...Some adopted are blessed with familial connection...others are not..

Please ask your neurosurgeon...based on anterior or posterior circulation of your aneurysm(s) if it may be genetic...somewhere on the genetics study...the variations in anteiror and posteior circulaton was presumably done...

Forgive me gigantously...that I am not attempting to frighten you....but to bring out more information for you, for all our members/peers...

For your five months, for your excellence in recovery, I am delighted and continue to wrap prayers around you

Hi Meleah, aren't the things that happen after treating an annie just sometimes funny despite their seriousness? I have a Wii Fit and it regularly tells me I'm off balance. Duh! I'd love to send it a message or correct it something; however, that can't be done so I'll just have to keep making faces at it.

RE: the scanning of relatives. Take that very seriously!

My surgeon practices at a researching hospital. One of his specialties is annies. Here's a summary: they can be inherited; three places on the genome have been identified that support the inherited tendency; also, research shows the tendency to rupture occurs 15 years earlier in each generation. My surgeon said he wanted me to know 2 things: they will grow and they will burst. So, as you can figure out, knowing they are there before a rupture is the key. Then, they can be watched and a surgery elected, instead of having a life or death emergency.

The other surgeons told their patients to get checked. Looks like a theme!

Hi Meleah -

My 13yr old was just scanned a couple mos ago as she was having what turns out to be migraines, but was having vertigo for weeks along w headache - so given my history they did MRI and MRA, and she's fine - but I was scared - I know how you feel. I have 2 other (younger) kids, I know that they don't seem to recommend it until young adulthood - so your kids are the right ages to get checked. They will very VERY likely be fine, and then you will be relieved. But, as a mom, I get the fear. My dad had a rupture - so family history is likely in play for me. Thank God there is even the possibility of early diagnosis - but chances are your boys are fine. Also, boys are less likely than girls to be afflicted.

Glad you're able to connect to the fact that you are one lucky girl!