Cerebral Vascular Spasms and/or Seizures

The difference....

Seizures are produced by electrical impulses from throughout the entire brain, whereas partial seizures are produced (at least initially) by electrical impulses in a relatively small part of the brain. The part of the brain generating the seizures is sometimes called the focus.

VS

Vasospasm is generally thought to occur only in arteries and not in smaller arterioles or capillaries or veins. Vasospasm is certainly known to occur in the large arteries comprising the Circle of Willis. The essential problem with vasospasm is that it causes an artery to shut down. Since a brain artery's function is to transport blood (and all its nutrients) to a specific part of the brain, then it follows that vasospasm leads to loss of the ability of the artery to carry out its normal function.

These symptoms and signs may "wax and wane" (i.e., come and go with different degrees of severity) for days. Their onset is usually at a time point at least 3 days after the bleed. They last up to 3 weeks.

Fever
Neck Stiffness
Mild Confusion
Dysphasia
Hemiplegia
Severely Impaired consciousness

Classic Picture of "Stroke"

Kristin...this is neat info...thanks... yes, I did understand it...not in such tidy words/explanation...

yes, VS can certainly cause the shutdowns...

Interesting Information...

Thank~you for sharing...!

Colleen

Did you of you have a vasospasm? I did and I was very lucky that I lived thru it.

My wife had vasospasms for ten days, days four through fourteen, after the coiling. They told us ahead of time that that was the time frame most likely. Each day they gave her an angioplasty, either via balloon or medicine or both, to open the blood vessels. She was basically unconscious throughout that time.

They explained it something like this. The brain realizes that there is a bleed and tries to solve it by shutting down the blood vessels. But this actually works against the healing, because once the repair is done blood flow is essential for healing. Apparently after the fourteen days the brain finally realizes that it doesn’t need to do that anymore.

I had to give permission each day, and they would go ahead with it. The outcome was good.

Thank you for the reply. Is she doing well now? I have complications.

Yes. That was almost six years ago. Probably her biggest difficulty is walking that involves turning, starting, stopping, and changing surfaces. She’s a little more emotional than before, and some memory is shaky, but otherwise very good. We are thankful.

What are your complications?

I have trouble walking as well. When I woke up my surgery I couldn’t feel my toes. Once I was aware I realized I have something like neuropathy. Pain is so bad at night in my foot and leg. Going to neurologist to see if it’s neuropathy or another kind of nerve damage. I had to learn to talk again once I woke up from the vasospasm. Did your wife have speech problems? They diagnosed me as having early dementia after the vasospasm. And for some reason my doctors didn’t want me to know what was wrong with me.

My wife was fortunate in that she had no pain. She did have to relearn everything: talking, eating, sitting up, walking. She lost every ability because of the rupture and lying on her back in bed so long. Being in bed one loses muscle tone very quickly. But she got it back. Some do have headaches and such, but she hasn’t. So, yes, it seems good that you would have that checked out. If one doctor can’t help, go to another. Some are better than others in understanding issues and providing help. My wife was in the hospital 51 days and continued with rehab for a couple months after she got out. Considering what happened, she rebounded fairly quickly. I’ll pray you find help.

She had a really rough time. I’m sorry she had to go through it. She is a fighter though it make it out of that an be ok. God was watching over her and me too. My doctor told my husband that when I came out of the second surgery

Yes, I knew that when she made it to acute rehab she would give it the best try, and she did. At times later, after coming home, she would say she felt like “crumpled goods.” Before the rupture she was considered very healthy and was very active. Later she felt she couldn’t do anything. But others like me who were near her were glad for every sign of progress because of where she’d been. By the way, she had to be 600 miles from home for the treatment and initial hospitalization. For the rehab she was 220 miles from home. We were very thankful for our doctors because they prepared us well for what was ahead. They told was what to expect, what they knew, and what they didn’t know. And there is a lot they don’t know. Maybe not all do that.

Sounds like you had great people working with her. I’m having problems even finding my rehab. My doctors and husband are great full I have made so much progress. The doctor thought if I lived I would have extreme brain damage. I have early dementia but I’m doing great. I thank God everyday for watching over me and take it one day at a time. It’s nice to find someone that understands what I’ve been through.