Bit of an intro

Hi there,

I'm Merl. As an infant I was involved in a motor vehicle accident and knocked my head. Back then there were no brain scans available, so the dr did his examine and basically said 'Bump on the head, bit sore but all OK'. Things were not OK. There were signs things were not OK but they were not identified at the time. I was labelled a hypochondriac. There were behavioural issues over the years, but I was just labelled "A shit of a kid" and I must admit the label certainly fitted. If there was a right way and a wrong way of doing things, I did it ALL the wrong way.

So now we fast forward 20 odd years and I'm driving down the road and the lights went out, I couldn't see. I went and had scans to be told I have a 'nasty' growing in my head. They operated (craniotomy) but due to the positioning of the 'nasty' not all of it could be removed as it was too close to bits I need. So the dr's sent me home saying all was fine, but again things were not fine and 3 months later I was back having further surgery and this time had a shunt inserted.

Post op I pushed myself to rehabilitate and I returned to work, sure things weren't great health wise but I could push myself along. I had to learn to ignore some of the weird sensations (tingles, sweats, HEADACHES!!!) but I managed the best way I could.

Then in 2013 the wheels fell off my little wagon and in that year had 3 surgeries. Since then I have again been trying to rehabilitate myself, without success. Again the dr's say all is fine, but I'd like them to take my pain and manage it for a day, just one day, and see how they would cope. They tell me "we understand pain..." but understanding pain and managing pain are 2 totally different things. This is something I believe they have NO understanding of. So that's my 'personal' brain story.

In addition to 'personal' story/expeiences, I have married into a family with 'brain issues'. Six months prior to my own diagnosis my (now) niece was diagnosed with a benign brain tumour, which was removed successfully, but as a result she developed an aneurysm. She has had 3 additional surgeries on it. Then in '11 my sister in law, my wife's twin sister, passed away after a long battle with brain cancer (glioblastoma) and we all supported her for as long as we possibly could within her home before she was admitted to palliative care.

In my previous employment I worked with people with disabilities. Teaching and supporting them to live an independent lifestyle. Teaching them how to live in the community and look after themselves. The range of disabilities covered everything from acquired brain injuries, intellectual disabilities and physical disabilities. This has given me some truly hands on experience and in some ways a greater understanding of my own present situation, not that this has made things any easier but more that I had 'some' understanding prior. I actually thought I knew all about it HA. But now, being the patient... ....Ohh hell, how little I actually knew. I can now look back at some of the skills my clients have and how they cope and utilise them for myself. In all honesty I think they taught me more than I ever taught them. Never believing that one day I would be the one with the disability.

So, as you can see, through my experiences, I have a many faceted view of the brain as a patient, as a carer, as a skills teacher and as a family member.

The only thing I'd like to add to all this, is that, this is NOT an easy journey for any of us and anybody who tells you it is, has NEVER been there. If we can assist each other along this journey, the better off we could all be.

Merl

Wow Merl! You have had quite an eventful life! There is some research that iindicates childhood brain trauma leading to aneurysms as an adult. Isn’t it interesting how life prepares us for our own troubles and trials? Welcome to the group!

hi Merl! me too, welcome btw, lost a sister to b/c too, im 6 yrs post sah, nice to meet you, just missed you on chat ttyl

Thanks for the welcome

Moltroub,

Eventful? yea, one way to put it, I would much rather it was less eventful, that's for sure.

Ronk,

B/C is one nasty %^&*$ disease. In working with people with disabilities I have had to deal with dementia clients. They lose their minds then their bodily functions. But due to the deterioration of their minds, they have very little idea what is happening as the body fails. With B/C it works the other way around. My SIL lost her body but knew darn well what was happening, seeing that slow constant decline was just so hard for everybody involved.

Yea, I noticed you a couple of times in chat and just missed you. We'll catch up at some point

Merl

Many-faceted indeed, Merl. We look forward to hearing your insights.

Merl...welcome; you have quite a story... thank you for sharing it...

So agree w/the childhood brain injury /trauma...I had cried too long once....(too long to share detail)...Mom always let us cry not more than 5 minutes...one time, she was restricted (by a stopped train) to cross the RR tracks into the house...(because two older sisters were w/her...) from getting quickly to me...and, when she did, it took her well over an hour to walk/rock me to calm me down...and, who would ever imagine a 9 month old can/may have some damage from crying more than 5 minutes?... The train was stopped for its repair for 45 minutes...and, mom would not attempt to crawl under it or over it....w/the other two girls w/her...However, as I began walking...I had a lot of trips/bumps...ad which never prevented me from doling the next,...

I was home-schooled until the third grade...and, then, I loved the merry-go-round...and have no memory of falling off it or anything...but, oddly, I came across my old report cards...and, my 3rd grade teacher notes my headaches...I have vague memory (and not of age/grade)...of my mom allowing me 1/4 of an aspirin...so the report card makes my (limited) sensibility...imagine that would be related...I have no memory of teacher/mom connecting on the headaches...

But...I was 16 before mom told me about my crying...and, I think that was when I came home and told her about being selected for the experimental accelerated classes. She told me again, about my 9 months old cry...when I was a young adult...So I can only imagine, the emotional impact on my mom...and. she waited to really tell me until she thought I was mature enough to maybe understand...I did understand her emotion...and, not the potentials...and, who would have in those days?

Just recently, a program on TV was about al lthe parents who have wrongfully been accused of injury to a baby/child...He said he was a believer in the 'abuse" blaming for some time...before learning/knowing more about brain injury (No, I cannot say names...need to find my notes)...

It was marvelous to me in seeing this article...w/a doctor stepping up...saying that accidents can occur...w/o a parent being the "killer"...because I can remember how emotional my mom was just telling me the little bit...about my crying....and, I wonder if, for any related reason, I had not survived at 9 months... how my mother would have been "presumed/held responsible"... and, I do not have a clue what would have been inspired as fault/cause in those days...compared to today....the past decade or so...

As an observer (w/o comparing to my mother/ my crying) to media coverage...seeing a devastated parent...to imagining the loss of the child...and, a parent held responsible/guilty...

Merl, I was so impressed with your sharing your background here with all of us...thank you..

Merl said:

Thanks for the welcome

Moltroub,

Eventful? yea, one way to put it, I would much rather it was less eventful, that's for sure.

Ronk,

B/C is one nasty %^&*$ disease. In working with people with disabilities I have had to deal with dementia clients. They lose their minds then their bodily functions. But due to the deterioration of their minds, they have very little idea what is happening as the body fails. With B/C it works the other way around. My SIL lost her body but knew darn well what was happening, seeing that slow constant decline was just so hard for everybody involved.

Yea, I noticed you a couple of times in chat and just missed you. We'll catch up at some point

Merl

Thanks for the welcome

Hi Madere, Insights? lol I doubt I'd call them insights, more 'views'. I say this as some may see some them as being a bit selfish in some regard. I have found my previous knowledge to be a bit lacking and I think some of my opinions are a bit more set in concrete than they used to be after my latest episode. My experiences with the medical profession have caused a love/hate relationship. I love to hate them lol. But I must say I have learnt a LOT along the way and am very willing to share this knowledge. I am a strong believer in us all helping each other. I do not have all the answers but if I can help, I will.

Hi Patioplan, Ohh I know that family guilt. My background WAS catholic and that self blame is huge. My poor mother still beats herself up about the past. Admittedly it wasn't good, but blame is not going to help. I say 'WAS catholic' as I don't follow now at all, if anything now I'd say I was more agnostic. 7yrs in a Catholic boarding school will do that to you. Its now my view if there was a god there would be no such thing as catholic boarding schools. I know that it was my behaviour that lead to all of this, but I do question the actions of the dr's from way back then and if a diagnosis had been made then how different it all could have been. It all seems to be focused around blame and the dr's have perpetuated this and there is no way they will take ANY responsibility, despite them often being the first to point the finger at others, especially family. Now I find I can keep rolling this stuff over in my head (and for a long time, I did) or move on, which is what I TRY to do. I say try cos at times it ain't that simple, but I try.

Merl

Hi Merl,

Welcome to the group..I am brand new too...just diagnosed with two brain aneurysms on the anterior communicating artery. I'm sorry you are going through all of this (includng what has gone on with the brain in your family) and I will pray for your strength through this current situation and that the pain subsides and no more surgeries are needed! It is so true that people cannot understand any pain you have or how frightening an aneurysm is unless they have one or they know someone who does.

Peace,

Mike

Merl...thanks for bringing me a smile... we could probably share a lot...maternal family was catholic; paternal ancestor was one of the initial Lutheran bishops...and, then, married a Baptist....His minister married us in my Lutheran Church...a decade later we separated/divorced anyway...

As for MDs in the old days...I cherished mine...an ob/gyn for the young bride... he took care of my having flu, of having an accidental cat claw in my lower lid...he checked it, cleansed it...told me what OTC to get(ask for Anna...she will tell you how to use)...and...IF you have any swelling/redness in the morning, get in here and I will get you to the right eye doc...

Last year when a neurologist was scheduling one blood test.. I asked if he'd add all the other annual tests...he said no, I'd have to go to PCP.. definitely ups the billing...and, two trips for me...etc...it is those things that generate N/V issues... and, I will skip those stories.... patioplans...

Merl said:

Thanks for the welcome

Hi Madere, Insights? lol I doubt I'd call them insights, more 'views'. I say this as some may see some them as being a bit selfish in some regard. I have found my previous knowledge to be a bit lacking and I think some of my opinions are a bit more set in concrete than they used to be after my latest episode. My experiences with the medical profession have caused a love/hate relationship. I love to hate them lol. But I must say I have learnt a LOT along the way and am very willing to share this knowledge. I am a strong believer in us all helping each other. I do not have all the answers but if I can help, I will.

Hi Patioplan, Ohh I know that family guilt. My background WAS catholic and that self blame is huge. My poor mother still beats herself up about the past. Admittedly it wasn't good, but blame is not going to help. I say 'WAS catholic' as I don't follow now at all, if anything now I'd say I was more agnostic. 7yrs in a Catholic boarding school will do that to you. Its now my view if there was a god there would be no such thing as catholic boarding schools. I know that it was my behaviour that lead to all of this, but I do question the actions of the dr's from way back then and if a diagnosis had been made then how different it all could have been. It all seems to be focused around blame and the dr's have perpetuated this and there is no way they will take ANY responsibility, despite them often being the first to point the finger at others, especially family. Now I find I can keep rolling this stuff over in my head (and for a long time, I did) or move on, which is what I TRY to do. I say try cos at times it ain't that simple, but I try.

Merl

Hi Merl,

Thank you for sharing your story. It has been 4-years since I had a craniotomy to clip an aneurysm on my left ophthalmic artery. Things are going well for me. I work full-time- helping kids and I go to grad school full-time. Take care

Hey Patioplans, Ohh so religion is in your blood, you poor bugga lol I'm the same. Ive got 4 aunts and 3 uncles all in the cloth (priests and nuns) I ended up moving countries to get away from it all lol lol lol.

Don't get me wrong with the medical profession, some are excellent and if you've got a good one then grab a hold and don't let go. I did have one but he died and my success rate is not good with dr's. I'm not a nice patient. I ask too many questions and they don't seem to like that.

Hey Myrna,

For me sharing is very therapeutic and having others who know from personal experience has helped me more than anything. I found the craniotomy the most confronting of the 5 surgeries I've had. The others were a more simple burr hole. But the idea of them cracking my skull, removing a section and going in scared the daylights out of me. "In there is the thing that makes me 'me'(my brain)And you're going to do what???" I actually recovered from it all fairly OK considering. It has only been since my last hospital episode that things have taken a sharp decline. I'm still ever hopeful things will improve but the dr's aren't of that mind, so its a case of doing the best I can with what I've got.

Merl

Thanks Merl for your story (: I used to feel that hearing others stories would be of no use to me. It took a long time and lots of therapy for me to be convinced otherwise! Again, thank you so much for sharing your story!!

Hey Ahcilia,

I used to be the same, I didn't think this would be of any use to anybody. But in reading other members posts I could see parallels with my own situation. Different comments would make me think and investigate, even just to change my thinking from a negative to a possible can be enough to change my paradigm. I truly am my own worst critic, I push myself to do things, to do more and I often over do it and pay for it in pain. In working with people with disabilities I saw some of the 'worse case scenarios' and think "Well at least I ain't there..." and think "it could be worse". The reality of all this is that this is my load. This is the reality I now have to manage and if sharing helps others work through their "load" then all the better for everyone imo

Merl

Thank you for taking the time to post your personal battles here. They have encouraged me!

Merl said:

Hey Ahcilia,

I used to be the same, I didn’t think this would be of any use to anybody. But in reading other members posts I could see parallels with my own situation. Different comments would make me think and investigate, even just to change my thinking from a negative to a possible can be enough to change my paradigm. I truly am my own worst critic, I push myself to do things, to do more and I often over do it and pay for it in pain. In working with people with disabilities I saw some of the ‘worse case scenarios’ and think “Well at least I ain’t there…” and think “it could be worse”. The reality of all this is that this is my load. This is the reality I now have to manage and if sharing helps others work through their “load” then all the better for everyone imo

Merl

Merl...since our brief connection...I have found a website that is so impressive...TeachMeAnatomy by

Oliver Jones in the UK... have not found his title(s) ...he has his copyright and privacy statement..i.e no use as a diagnostic...yah-de-yah...

How I found it (or it found me)...I had been attempting for some time to learn about foramen (foramina, pl...)...A foreman...is a hole into the brain...My attraction to that was "foramen magnum"...the hole that allows space for the spinal cord/vertebrae to enter the base of the brain area...

Prior to that, I learned that the oculomotor nerve (CN III) came thru a 'hole' of the sphenoid bone...my first intrigue of holes into the brain...

sooo... tracking something else (diff terminology)...I reached the "name the holes in the base of the skull and what goes thru each"...by the www.uvm.edu/...SkullBase...(for tumor/surgery)...

Across a page...are: Bone....Cranial fossa....Foramina...vessels and nerves...

So intrigued by the 'foramina' ... I began searching that...and, somehow that magnificent Oliver popped up... and I have been intrigued/infatuated with him and his data...

I have tracked a couple of similar anatomy sites here... his was easier to read/comprehend... and part of that could be my timing... I am yet so slow in reading/comprehension...worse of memory

You can pull up the entire Site...and, pull down the list of data...from bones to whatever... At the end of each specific ...he also has a "Clinical Relevance" ...and of course, my memory is often of 'clinical revelations'...

Merl...I think you will appreciate the TeachMeAnatomy site...may want to begin w/Middle Cranial Fossa...

Hope you will let me know your thoughts on it...Patioplans...

Thanks Patioplans,

I already have this site bookmarked in my favourites. I found it great to follow the paths within the brain and the differing structures in relation to these paths

Merl

Merl...thank you,...I also checked out some of the Relevations...on other sites, i.e. Mayo clinic ...on the Cerebellum... I have learned more about the Cerebellum these past few days than my last 12 years!!!

If you have any other sites to suggest...please let us know...Pat

Merl said:

Thanks Patioplans,

I already have this site bookmarked in my favourites. I found it great to follow the paths within the brain and the differing structures in relation to these paths

Merl