Basic Brain information

Found this little booklet on doing a search. It has decent basic brain information as well as a nice section for family and friends. Though it covers all types of brain issues, I think it’s a good addition.

http://www.finr.net/files/ubi_acute.pdf

Moltroub...thank you so much for this...it is excellent...

I have been working on a similar...w/outline form...including the main supplier arteries to the various areas...Under the temporal Lobes (page 6), it notes the groove called the lateral sulcus (Sylvain fissure)...

I learned that the middle cerebral arteries traverse in the Sylvian fissure; and, the various segments and branches can be tracked from there...

One site that I have so appreciated is the www.meddean.luc.edu/lumen/MedEd ... easy to find in search by artery name...There are lots of good sites; this one is easier as they note the supplied areas; and, also failures/disease ... this may be helpful to anyone wanting to know more about the affect/effect of their aneurysm...

Thank you so much for providing this finr data...I will be checking on the order process/price...

Pat

Pat, glad you liked it. I could not use the link you provided it says “page not found” at the Loyola U medical school site. You can just download the book from the Florida Neuro site. Have you thought of taking a Bio Psych course at your local college? I had one back in the 70’s and it’s where I learned to disect a sheep’s brain and learn all the parts. It’s amazing how much knowledge of brain function has changed since I was a college student!

Moltroub...re: the link...as I noted ... search by artery name..and med.dean will be in first half dozen or so sites listed...there are also many more w/excellent data...my little brain (reality) just links o some easier...however, sometime, they would have a particular artery site "empty"...likely updating, etc...

There have been two excellent programs on PBS...both on Alzheimer's/dementias... and, names are blanking as I type...they have a lot of info so similar to us...re: hippocampus (memory) and the limbic system (emotions, etc)...the thalamus/hypothalamus...this latter that connects to (major supplier of) our pituitary gland...and on into our endocrine system...

My slow read/comprehension...I have to read/outline/study b4 pieces/parts begin to get to memory...which will be re-reading/outlining from this first booklet....

Thanks re: download...I was hoping they had some preprinted and/or CD/DVD...that could be gifted to many...re: ischemic stroke, PTSD, cancer care who have the diagnostic to intermittent rad checks... this easy-to-read data could be so helpful to so many of any disease/injury...then the rehab companion of finr...

Pat

Pat, I think they have them for their patients, but remember printing and CDs/DVDs are a cost a lot of organizations just cannot afford to endure in the US right now. Perhaps if you have access to different folks, you can email the link to the website. It’s good you found a way to continue learning! It sounds like what I did when I was a college student - read, outline, study, read again and the piles of index cards I went through back then…good times!

Yes...I know it would be costly...why I wonder about an offsetting fee for it...they could probably route it thru B&N / Amazon...If the price was reasonable...vs highly profitable...

On the other hand, I will ask my tech about download/burn of it... lost all this part of my brain cells...from Word 2010 on...I'd be lost w/o my tech...

I was blessed by memory/learning...so excited when the highlighters were first available...it is tough for me now...highlighting those few areas ...well hey..."what area was that?"...from "what book...what site?

In my re-learning...I have found numerous same/similar...often diff sites...In my attempt to clean-up my stored stuff, a tech is downloading an old Sony laptop onto CDs for me to view on my desktop...to decide dump/save...the Sony is the old XP...a great laptop when I was able to use/see it.. Last August this Dumb Caller got a Smart Phone...have only learned calls/answers...of course, how to charge it... One of these days, I will read/outline the little instruction booklet...

Lol. I learned to text in ICU - the nurses taught me:)

Moltroub...this will bring this, your site, up...

You were blessed your nurses could teach you...my logged memory was @ 3 minutes...however, I could not say my name or "phone"...I called it "hello"... I had no memory of any of this...family/friends kept notes and/or had their memory...have much to share on recovery over time.

Moltroub...as noted on the blog, I wanted to bring this, the "Understanding Brain Injury" brochure forward for new members...whether they had, or are awaiting, a procedure...

Their main site is http://www.finr.net and lists so much. One section is on Educational Resources which is excellent, w/sub-sets by name, e.g. aneurysm...and, which so clearly visualizes the tissue around an aneurysm (MCA on this particular picture) displaying the pressure on the tissue around the aneurysm.

This, hopefully, will encourage members to review, particularly once they have their diagnosed aneurysm/other (forgive my memory drop),anatomy. On aneurysm, get the name of artery and which segment of it... to be able to track on this/other website.

When we view the fluoroscopic images, none of the tissue is displayed...

I have for some time, asked "how blood replaced with metal can relieve the pressure in its anatomical area"...

Wishing you all the best and right decisions and recoveries.

This brochure and then other sections of finr.net have a tremendous resource that I can only imagine would have been so beneficial to me years back...to be able "to see/comprehend" the anatomy.

I have for some time so promoted data on the "limbic system"...which is in the temporal lobe...and, the temporal lobe has various sections, two of which I have some memory: anterior temporal, and medial temporal...

Well....some humor for me...I have lived long-enough to get updates and revisions, and new (to me, if not to all).

One site (new to me) is http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ert/2012/176157/ which is from the U of Western Ontario, London, ON, Canada. It is lengthy, tho has the various Figures w/draft images... Beginning to learn the anatomy can be so helpful to all in making decisions on procedures and what to ask your doctors.

P.S....some of us are yet working on radiation levels and the resources of info...then to contrast materials...

Patio plans,

I am responding about your brilliant question “how blood replaced with metal can relieve the pressure in its anatomical area”… Was it answered? And how was it answered?

Campanile...NO, I have not gotten an answer to that...from any med scientist, doctor, other; in fact, it was not acknowledged in my initial Q in a discussion entitled "ask the doc". which is no longer available.

However, a former member's comment made me chuckle; I cannot now say it or her name.

Actually, I had imagined the pressure issue, and this website image so supports it...our angio images are so (right word?) geared at only the arteries and not the adjacent tissues/nerves, bones, whatever.

Thanks for asking...

I wonder how much the blood weighs vs the coils.

Well...supposedly those coils are equivalent to an average hair...however, none state the length of the hair...or the coarseness... (ok...smile) ...

More Easy-to-Read Sites...these of the Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati...

Anatomy of the Brain

http://www.mayfieldclinic.com/PE-AnatBrain.htm

Unruptured Aneurysm

http://www.mayfieldclinic.com/PE-AneurUn.htm

Hope these will assist anyone in learning/understanding the impacts on our brain by an aneurysm and/or a rupture and the treatments.

Thank you patio. The Mayfield Clinic info states that aneurysms of the ACOM are less likely to rupture. I hope this is true, since my aneurysm is there.

I just had my ACOM aneurysm clipped. Dr said it was about 3-6 months from rupturing. They look at size, shape etc. mine was about 5mm with a wide base and a daughter. Please make sure you get a couple opinions.

Just remember "less likely"...and not that they "will not rupture"...

We are all given averages...even in "size"...for various (numerous) reasons, I do not rely on stats either.

Campanile said:

Thank you patio. The Mayfield Clinic info states that aneurysms of the ACOM are less likely to rupture. I hope this is true, since my aneurysm is there.