Balance home exercise suggestions

Hi everyone,

I really get so much out of this site. That is because we can all be a resource in helping others, as we truly understand the problem.

That is why I thought to turn here for any advice that may be given.

My ruptured aneurysm was over the right PICA and just about destroyed the cerebellum, which as most of you probably know is the part of the brain affecting balance. The brain assault has me living with the souvenir of traumatic brain injury.

Consequently, I feel like I am walking like a demented duck! Others says that is not the case; however, to me that is the best way to describe it.

Therefore, I am seeking any advice from those who may do home exercises for balance, as I think that would help me greatly.

In addition, anything else that you do regarding diet or supplements would be appreciated.

Holly

Hi, Holly, I took a quick read through the Cerebellar avms group on the avm community, because those members have similar balance issues to yours. A couple of the members have mentioned that weighted balancewear vests can be helpful with walking. Unfortunately, there was not a lot of helpful information about exercises, so I hope you will get responses from members on that.

That sound interesting to investigate, which I will.

Excuse my ignorance; however, what is an "AVM" ?

It is an arteriovenous malformation. Most of them occur in the brain, and may rupture, similar to an aneurysm.

Okay, those I have heard of.

My rupture was in one of the arteries at the base of the brain; however, when they had done the surgery they remarked that I have a very odd configuration of arteries in that area, which they attribute to having developed when I had fallen backward as a toddler. The doctors felt that the aneurysm may have been the result of that fall but had never manifested itself until the day it burst.

Interesting. I think my son's facial avm was triggered by a bump on the head when he was a toddler.

Hi Holly,

Here is a link that you may find helpful.

http://www.msktc.org/tbi/factsheets/Balance-Problems-After-Traumatic-Brain-Injury

Thank you. I will investigate that.

Susa said:

Hi Holly,

Here is a link that you may find helpful.

http://www.msktc.org/tbi/factsheets/Balance-Problems-After-Traumati...

Hi Edwardo,

That would explain why the exercise of tossing a ball to me when I had physical rehab had been done. I will have to see what type of similar thing I could do by myself at home. I live alone, so there is no one to toss me a ball.

Edwardo said:

Hi Holly , My wife had severe Balance deficits after her rupture (sah) she was 2 months getting to a residential rehab - wheelchair bound unable to stand, no balance . discharged in the chair then a nasty fall , another Brain Surgery and a 2nd residential rehab . Still no Balance one of her therapist decided to try throwing a beach ball to her but in such a way that she had to reach a little out of her comfort zone . One PT was holding her belt and supporting her while she reached for the ball . She did this little game every day and soon she began to step out to get the ball. I believe this simple game of catch helped her learn to balance again . She does very well on her own now. perhaps it might work for you as well .

Oh I really liked Edwardo's WeeFit suggestions! Holly, I had a non-ruptured aneurysm clipped in 9/2013. I also felt like a demented duck (love that) but it was worse if I tried driving or looking to the sides while walking or forget looking up at the sky. This lasted for about 5 months until I started going to physical therapy. They had me do things I thought were too simple until I tried them. Things like standing on one foot for 30 seconds then the other foot (I always started falling to the side). I graduated to things like standing on one foot then moving my head to one side then the other; the rocker board where I stood on a board that rocked forward then backwards; then walking a little foam beam; etc.. They had me practice going to the store and walk as fast as I could while visually scanning the shelves (that was tough). My eyes seemed to be lazy. The left one especially refused to move to the sides. They started working on eyeball exercises which involved things like holding a business card in front of me and have me follow it with my eyes. Then holding it in front of a busy tv screen and doing the same. Finally they started preparing me for my driving test and I have to tell you that was FUN! I'd sit and bounce softly on a ball and hold a round object and pretend I was driving. Out of nowhere a therapist would come running across the room or jump out from the side to test my reflexes. First time I dropped the round thing and almost fell off the ball. (So fun!) Then eventually I graduated to sitting in a wheeled stool and they'd have me hold onto straps and they'd pull me around the room and do turns, etc. My head would swim and finally after a few weeks I could handle it. (Did I mention how much fun it was?)