Anyone out there have a ruptured aneurysm and surviving after 15 or more years?

I am just wondering if any of you have maybe survived a ruptured aneurysm when you were much younger and how itis affecting you? Mine happened in 1974 and there was no surgery! It has had long term affects on my physical and mental status! Mine was a posterior cerebral aneurysm, subarachnoid hemorrhhage. at that time you lied on your back for a week and hoped youd live! so, far i have thank goodness! :)

You are VERY lucky to have survived that in 1974. My Dad (Ted Michaud) had an aneurysm in 1975 (I think) and he had his operation then as well. He survived until 1991 when he had another aneurysm in 1991 but he ended up dying from complications from that. Since then I have had an aneurysm, and so has my mom, so my brother, and sister are watching themselves like HAWKS!!! Congrats on living this long with it and I hope that everything is going ok.

It is amazing how many people in your family have them! Wow! What are the chances of both of your parents suffering from this same thing? I bet they are pretty slim…statisticly. I am sory to here of your loss though. I have no idea if i have another aneurysm or not? been 15 years i think since my last mri. but, i have growing concerns now for my 3 children and 2 grand daughters. I m glad i am able to get more info these days than my parents were able too, when i was young and this happened. I am just now starting to realize the significance of what happened to me. Did your dad suffer any problems from his first rupture? Chronic pains or disorders that you know of? I am interested in knowing if other people are having simular problems as me maybe? Thanx for the reply!

My dad lost his sense of smell and taste, so we always had to tell him if something was burning or if something smelled REALLY bad. He also was skinny before he had his aneurysm, but afterward, he was VERY SKINNY. Before he was about 125-135, afterwards he had dropped to 95. He did get his weight back up to about 130, but that was it. I REALLY wish I could say that, but I have maintained my weight and gained a few afterwards as well. Part of that comes from having three children afterwards. I can’t think of anything else other then his temper, and mine have gotten a little bit shorter since my aneurysm. Did yours?

aileen thorson said:

It is amazing how many people in your family have them! Wow! What are the chances of both of your parents suffering from this same thing? I bet they are pretty slim…statisticly. I am sory to here of your loss though. I have no idea if i have another aneurysm or not? been 15 years i think since my last mri. but, i have growing concerns now for my 3 children and 2 grand daughters. I m glad i am able to get more info these days than my parents were able too, when i was young and this happened. I am just now starting to realize the significance of what happened to me. Did your dad suffer any problems from his first rupture? Chronic pains or disorders that you know of? I am interested in knowing if other people are having simular problems as me maybe? Thanx for the reply!

OMG !!! I just discoved this forum !! I have been alone all these years since my ruptured cerebral subarachnoid in 1970. I only knew of my room-mate at the time who was in such bad shape…it was hard to be together yet helpful too. Nobody understood. They operated and clipped the bleeder leaving me with a nice scar on the side of my head, somewhat sucken in, from the temple back around the side of of my ear. They went in that way, opening that portion of the skull to work. I was lucky. No bad physical effects but memory loss and emotional, traumatic effects that were never dealt with other than by my own denial, compensating efforts. Right now and since then I have experienced unconfortableness at the scar in the way of soreness, poking, squeezing feelings that have come and gone…the scalp is also sore to touch at times…after 40 Years !!! I cannot nor will not complain, I have been so lucky.

hello freinds, i have just read this forumwith agreat personal interest.I had my first SAH back in 1965 at age 18. i had my second bleed in 73 and a third one in 1982. i never had surgery and apart from all our usual troubles of emotional stuff etc…i was still 100% fit and able and fully functional. then in 2008 i had my last bleed due to a ruptured anny. i received surgery to coil the offender a few days later. i just ignored the bleed for two days prefering tojust stay in bed at home hiding the truth of things until a wonderful frteind blackmailed me intoseeking medical help…thank you…since then i have had many and various problems…i.e…short temper, the deepest depressions imaginble, short termmemory loss, balance problems, etc etc. but im still here…with no intent of dying soon,im worried because during hospital tests etc…they discovered another anny that is concerning them…so im electing to have further surgery to ward of the chance of any rupture an the threats that brings…so all in all ive suffered this malady now for 45yrs…alone because there wasnt a survivors/help group like this anywhere…this place is a blessing… i ask you forgive any typos here but typing now is all one handed because of lack of fine motor control in my left hand…thank god imright handed…be safe y’all…and remember this…your not a victim your a survivor…keep going folks…love and hugsssss…John

Joe Buesgen, Sr. said:

OMG !!! I just discoved this forum !! I have been alone all these years since my ruptured cerebral subarachnoid in 1970. I only knew of my room-mate at the time who was in such bad shape…it was hard to be together yet helpful too. Nobody understood. They operated and clipped the bleeder leaving me with a nice scar on the side of my head, somewhat sucken in, from the temple back around the side of of my ear. They went in that way, opening that portion of the skull to work. I was lucky. No bad physical effects but memory loss and emotional, traumatic effects that were never dealt with other than by my own denial, compensating efforts. Right now and since then I have experienced unconfortableness at the scar in the way of soreness, poking, squeezing feelings that have come and gone…the scalp is also sore to touch at times…after 40 Years !!! I cannot nor will not complain, I have been so lucky.

John. Best wishes! Please do everything you can to stop these or prrevent these from happening to you. Most especially, address those “side-effects” with your doctor and/or a referred counselor or , at the very least, speak to a close sympathetic, caring, friend. This is one aspect of the condition that we suffer with that is not handled aggressively for the patient. If I had had this type of help back in 1970 many, many personal, family and social problems would have been helped. Everyday is a gift, open it with anticipation and excitement.

Hello Joe…thanks for your concerns here…well as aboutallmy stuff…its all under control…i saw my doctor(primary care doc) i no more than he does…lol.after my surgery and untiltoday my scalp still iritates…i used to scratch it untilit bled until ibought myself a stiffer hair brush…omg it felt better than sex to finally get that itch properly scratched…its all because of the nerves inside and in the bones that somehow get excited and try to fix themselves after being cut through…its a small price to pay for living.I alo got somemedication for the depresions…sothats something else taken care of…almost…lol. my main thing is my own view of myself being only half the man i was brefore this last incident…but heck thereare many worse of than i am…the other stuff like balance i can live with…ive got myself a walking cane for safety…short term memory loss i dont worry about…i carry my name and address with me…and my passport in case i thinki need to fly back out here to the usa…i was here in houston tx for 3 months nov until feb…went back to england for a month then flew back here again in march…too damned cold in england…it made me very ill in myself…i fly back there again on 12th june…but i’ll be back assoon as i save upthe air fare again.
i have recently heard that my youngest daughter…now 40 possibly has an anny also…im encouraging her to get second oppinion at myhospital…i dont want her messing about wasting time at a place where they dont know their ass from their elbow…
i’ll keep everyone infiormed…and if i can answr any questions you or anyone has ill be pleased to do so…gid bless …hugssss…John

Joe Buesgen, Sr. said:

John. Best wishes! Please do everything you can to stop these or prrevent these from happening to you. Most especially, address those “side-effects” with your doctor and/or a referred counselor or , at the very least, speak to a close sympathetic, caring, friend. This is one aspect of the condition that we suffer with that is not handled aggressively for the patient. If I had had this type of help back in 1970 many, many personal, family and social problems would have been helped. Everyday is a gift, open it with anticipation and excitement.

Hey, this is old! Closing it to posts, feel free to start a new thread