Any Experience with HydroCoils?

I have a HydroCoil procedure planned for Tuesday 3/8/2016. Anyone have experience with this?

A bit of my history: on April 20, 2012, a 9X11m, wide-necked Basilar Aneurysm ruptured (which I, of course, never knew I had). It was coiled. Another aneurysm was found on the RICA. The following July, the RICA aneurysm was stented along with its neighbor, a second smaller RICA aneurysm. Two years later, the Basilar coils had compacted, necessitating more coils and a double "Y" stent. This past January, a routine follow-up angiogram revealed some blood build-up inside the coils and near the aneurysm tip. My new doctor will insert HydroCoils that he says will "clean up" this problem.

I'm curious -- what's your experience with HydroCoils? And second, how long do these pups have to be repaired, coiled, etc. ? Is there ever relief and completion?

Weary but wise, I ask your help, with many thanks!

Melanie

Melanie, are Hydrocoils a new thing? I’m way behind you in recovery or anniversaries, and I’m a PICA rupture survivor, but I’m interested in any responses you get. Have you researched Hydro Coils?

Hi, Moltroub -- Yes, I've done LOTS of research on HydroCoils....not to get too technical about it but my doctors actually call it Hydrogel.

There's different kinds, like HydroSoft, HydroFrame, or HydroFill, depending on what exact type of embolic coil they're using. Mine is the HydroSoft and HydroFrame b/c they're trying to close this pesky wide-neck aneurysm that keeps recanalizing.

Tomorrow's surgery will be the FOURTH time (in four years!) they've tried to close this thing permanently and it's kinda getting old having to go back in every year for surgery (on top of annual angiograms, too). The stents are working beautifully but it's these uncoated platinum coils that keep compacting on themselves.

Apparently Hydrocoils (with "Hydrogel") have been around since 2005. I'm just now hearing about it, also, which is why I asked here about more information. Help!

Thanks! It’s always interesting to learn more, I appreciate your help! I have a neck that doesn’t want to close, but it hasn’t changed for over a year, so we are just leaving it be. I hope you have a fantastic outcome with this procedure.

Very interesting to hear about Hydrocoils. I also had a wide-neck aneurysm and my surgeon at NYU - who is an expert in BOTH clipping and coiling, which is rare - really felt like coils would never be a permanent solution because of the wide neck. Things would move around and change, as you’ve experienced. Why don’t you see what happens with this round of coiling…and if there are still changes, you could go see another top rated Neuro to understand if they would approach it differently. Best wishes for tomorrow!

I can appreciate the concerns, have a wide neck BA that was coiled and stented about a year ago. I have hydrosoft coils among 9 other various size coils and a Neuroform stent. Indeed I too have a residual neck that is being watched closely, off for my next MRA today. Many of us with BA aneursyms are aware of recanilization. Stay positive and stay focused on a long productive life:)

My husband had a wide neck aneurysm rupture of
India January 2013. They coiled it at the time of rupture which I was that kfuk for and a tribute his fUll recovery to. At his 6 month angiogram the child had compacted. Our surgery at Capital Health in Jersey recommendEd a clip. Which we had done in September of 2013. Hard to go for the invasiveNess of theach clip but they seem to think its a much more permanent solution. Case by case thing. But did your doctor give you all the options and talk about why he/she thought hydrocoils were the best for u?

He calls it a “touch up” b/c it’s only a but if recanaluzation in the neck of it. I’ve had 2 rounds of uncoated coils plus a double NeuroForm stent implanted. My doctor is leading edge with this technology (I’m in Houston) @ TX Medical Center.

I had coiling for a ruptured aneurysm in 2008. Last year, I they found another aneurysm and needed to redo the coil (compacted) and possibly put in a stent as well. My IV Dr. suggested I look at a clip as well for this 2nd surgery. I went to a neurosurgeon who suggested a clip for both the existing and the new aneurysm (next to the 1st aneurysm). I chose the clip. It is a more permanent solution in my case. I did not want to go every few years for a new coiling. Although the 2nd surgery was much more invasive, I am happy I did it. You might want a second option for a more permanent solution.

Thanks for that, BZMom -- you are wise!!!

Surgery got postponed until 4/4 because insurance didn't OK the procedure in timely manner. Grrr!

Melanie, sorry you’ve been delayed, aargh! I don’t like procedures postponed either but the aggravation that goes with a procedure without the approval isn’t fun, believe me…

WOW....this is some news to me. I was coiled in 2013 for a leaking aneurysm and every year I have to do the MRA and I am aware of the residual and I really cannot afford an angiogram as my insurance now covers only 60% in the US and I am still paying for the surgery from 2013. How do you know when the coils have recanalized? This post has offered a lot of information and is a bit scary at the same time...is this ever over or repaired?

My neurosurgeon who does both clipping and coiling (and people come from all continents to see him, he is that amazing), puts it like this: if you are a good candidate for coiling (NO wide neck of the aneurysm, etc), they like to try the less invasive coiling. However…you need to have an amazing physician do this. They are not equally skilled. And even then, coiling often needs to be re-done. Clipping is the permanent solution but brain surgery carries risks. Again, you need to be with the best. The list of best hospitals for treating aneurysm is just a Google search away :slight_smile:

Just curious - for the wide necked folks, why not try the Pipeline? Do your neurosurgeons discuss why/why not? I have a wide necked large/giant that due to size had to have coils AND the Pipeline both (so it'll never dissipate like a typical Pipeline treated annie can). Although mine did not rupture, and therefore was a planned procedure. And Melanie - I'm so sorry your insurance dropped the ball! The worst kind of aggravation in my world - I've been all prepared for an angio on the other side of my state, child care in my absence and a hotel at the other end just to have it all fall apart the day before! So annoying. I've also had a surgery without insurance backing that I then had to sue to receive reimbursement for (taking 3 years to finalize), so if it can wait, get the insurance on board. Mine couldn't wait, but what an ordeal.

Cecelia -- I've wondered the same: when does this journey end ?!? I've now got coils, PEDs and stents in my brain with an ever-developing/ever-changing situation, it seems. It's a step at a time, I think. I may yet have to have a clip -- I don't know. I am hopeful this next round next month with Hydrocoils/Hydrogel will finally resolve this aneurysm completely -- like the PED did for the RICA aneurysms 2+ years ago.

The angiogram will show if an aneurysm has recanalized. I agree, Jennifer, research online and find the best neuro-doc closest to you and ask questions, don't let the docs intimidate you. Make the decision that seems the best fit for you and your situation with a doctor you feel confident working with.

Thanks, everyone, for your feedback! You give me hope and possibility!

Melanie...you are amazing...and, it is late night of your day..fo me to respond...my prayers for your succesful day...Awaiting your f/u...for your results of today...

I know nothing more of HydroCoil than I do of any GDC coil...and, any others in between... ..

Prayers for your successful day... awaiting your update..

WHo is your Dr. in Houston. I'm looking for one...

moxie said:

He calls it a "touch up" b/c it's only a but if recanaluzation in the neck of it. I've had 2 rounds of uncoated coils plus a double NeuroForm stent implanted. My doctor is leading edge with this technology (I'm in Houston) @ TX Medical Center.

Dr. Richard Klucznik @ Methodist/TX Medical Center.

Switched from Dr. Michel Mawad after he retired from St. Luke's/TMC last year.

Melanie, you probably already read this research, but it has a nice little section on Hydrocoils.

http://www.ajnr.org/content/36/7/1216.long

Fascinating discussion, Moltroub -- thank you!!

Lot of this is way over my head but I am encouraged the researchers are looking at everything, even collagen. Makes me realize, too, that the doctors are guinea pigs as much as we are!!!