Anterior Communicating Artery Aneurysm at 38 and surgery (Scared!)

@Prissy110483
Hello and welcome to our group that no one would like to be a member of.
You will find many members that have had this procedure done, I am one of those. My aneurysm was in a different location than yours and it ruptured one morning almost two years ago, I am lucky to be alive! I got emergency care and the aneurysm was coiled, you can read my story in my profile. After the first follow up appointment with my neurosurgeon, he told me that he recommended a new procedure with a stent and more coils as the aneurysm couldn’t be fully treated when it ruptured. I also had to be on Plavix and Aspirin before the next procedure. This is the standard procedure. I was terrified! I had the option to wait and watch but the recommendation was to take care of it before it would possibly rupture again. It took me a couple of weeks to digest the information and I decided that it was in my best interest to get it fixed. Once I made my decision, I felt less worried about it. It helped me a lot to read about this in this forum, I was not alone and you are not alone.
My neurosurgeon assured me that the procedure would be a mild breeze compared to my experience when it ruptured. He was right. I had the angiogram procedure with a stent and more coils in the morning, came to the ICU where I stayed overnight and went home after lunch the next day. Just a mild headache for a few days, and the puncture site in the groin takes a while before it heals properly so you will get information what to do and not to do.
Sometimes they use the artery in the wrist instead of the groin and the recovery will be faster if they do.
Here comes a post that can help you prepare for the surgery

I can understand that you are worried about this, but I think it would be the best thing to do. You will be checked with an angiogram or MRA/MRI after a while to see that everything looks fine. You will most likely be on a anti platelet medication for the rest of your life, but a lower dose after a while.

When I was waiting to get into the operating room, I overheard a phone call from my neurosurgeon and he said “xxxx is my first patient today “ when I heard those words I felt so calm, I remember that I was thinking this is what he does for a living ….day in and day out……he is the expert in fixing blood vessels in peoples brains.

When is your procedure scheduled? Or is this about your father? Think about what support system you have around you. The recovery time is usually not very long but depending on the type of work you have you may need some extra time at home. Be prepared to take it easy for at least two or three weeks. You will get discharge information from the hospital.
Get your home in order,wash clothes and tidy up, prepare food and put in the freezer so you don’t have to cook the first days. We cooked a large plate with meatballs the night before the surgery, we cooked them in the oven, and forgot about it :sweat_smile: I think my husband and I was a bit stressed after all, thankfully we turned off the oven before we got to bed.
This was a long story for you. I wish you all the best with your surgery. Get back to us and ask questions. I know that @Moltroub has a lot of experience in this. I hope that more members will join you.
Take care of yourself and relax.

2 Likes