Annoying head pain

I am now 8 weeks after my clipping surgery and I am feeling some pressure on the incision site and behind it. Is this normal? I notice it more after a long day. I also have an indentation where the head positioner pin was holding my head during surgery that is a little uncomfortable as well. I went to my follow up last Thurs. and my surgeon said all was great and I have no restrictions! I mentioned this and he just said it is normal. Just wondering if anyone else who had clipping had this as well!

Thanks,
Michele

I had an MCA clipped on July 21 this year. I still have a dent, not sure that will change. I had a strange feeling at the incision for a long time. Everything felt tight and I kept getting little zaps. My doctor said it was normal and it would take up to 3 months for everything to settle down. Almost 6 months later and everything is back to normal. Altho I still have my "dent".

Mary

Yes it is normal I had mine clipped and also had those indentations they will go away with time. I also had a spot close to my temple that throbbed and I could see it. Also normal and will go away with time.

I had clipping just over a year ago & my head still feels ‘weird’ and I have the indention(s). I too was told it was normal and that it may improve but be prepared for it to always be this way. Either way, I’m happy to be here!!

Hi Michele,

Glad to hear your follow up went well. Mine did too. I go back still in Feb., I still have eye issues. Not sure why??? Time will tell.

Anyway, sorry to get off subject. You know, the pressure and the indentation is worrisome of course but doesn't it seem like whatever is currently an issue with us is always answered with "it's normal?" After my appointment yesterday, I learned it was a good thing to write down everything that happened and when and how long so I could ask her what I thought might be a problem. I'm going to do the same thing for the next appointment. Can you just call the office and ask? You shouldn't have to worry.

The indentations I think we'll all have forever. Mine is very prominent, at least I think, right at the temple. It is sort of shadowy so it's not entirely obvious. Yuck anyway.

Don't know if this helps but how's everything else going?

Jeannine

My clipping was Feb 3, 2011 and I still have a dent.

Thank you all for replying! I am not talking of the dent on the side of my face (I have that too) …I have one in my head about 4 inches above my ear and the size of a quarter…I lost all my hair in that spot too! Very strange! But glad to hear it isn’t just me!

Jeanine, I did mention this all to my doc when I was there and he said its normal! Glad your visit went well! Maybe you should see an eye doc for your vision. I heard they can give you a lens or special glasses to help correct some vision issues. Glad you got in to see your surgeon for your follow up! My visit went well and I am having no other issues but this one thankfully! I know it’s not a big deal, and trust me …I am happy to be alive and well!

Thanks again for the responses!

Hi

I also had a clipping early October 2014 and lost a lot of hair from the stress, meds, angiograms in a perfect V behind my head on both sides. The rupture was in a really difficult spot to reach behind where my vertebra and head meet up. So, they scanned a lot and had to get in there with their scopes and I had a pretty big scar healing well now. I guess they had to remove some of the bone as well on the last vertebra. The only real issue I have is some weakness in the shoulders/ muscles on one side by the scar and the "dent" that is lost muscle from atrophy and perhaps they had to cut some nerves and muscle in there as well to get in so its slowly healing. THe scar is numb around that area where the plates are healing back but that does not bother me. The asymetry or weakness on one side of the shoulder (right side) is not a huge deal. I actually went to a local PT today to check out my movement and he said I was doing the right excercises at the gym, etc. Vision is back 100%, no restrictions for over a month now...!

Hello sorry for late response. I had mine in 1998 and I still have a dent! I do remember feeling pressure for awhile afterwards. And I actually still feel some tenderness on occasion! But not a problem at all. Sounds like ur doing great though!

@ j knights I had a slight vertical dysplopia (I think it’s called) and they prescribed a prism lens that corrected it. In time in did get very close to normal!

I'm approaching month 3 and my numbness and tightness is finally starting to fade. I started to get little zaps of pain and extreme itchiness, and a little at a time, the feeling is starting to come back. The itchiness was so weird- the area itching was actually numb, so you can't scratch it. Just weird.

I'm not all the way there, but my head is feeling quite a bit more normal than at 8 weeks. The lumps and bumps on the top of my head seem to have smoothed out a bit- maybe it was swelling?

The dent is still around. Boyfriend still swears he can't see it- lol.

Hang in there.

One other thing- I started to take alot of fish oil and then the numbness started to calm down. I swear it is making a difference, but it could be a total coincidence. Anyways- something to speak with your dr about!

Hi Kit! So glad at 3 months I can look forward hopefully to be right where you are! Sounds like you are healing up well! I too get those exact same zaps and itching you are talking about! I guess it is just a way the nerves repair themselves! But good to hear your dents are smoothing out! My husband swears he doesn’t see my dent on my left side of my temple! I wish I could take the fish oil…but I have a shellfish allergy so I don’t think I would be able to!? But I am taking lots of supplements and vitamins daily!

I have a shellfish allergy too. Fish oil should be shellfish free. You can probably ask the pharmacist.

Oh…good to know! I will check and see then! Thanks!

8 1/2 years later and I still have the dents, sometimes itchiness and some "electrical" type zaps...those darn nerves! Stiff neck from the Right PICA annie and plates and screws in forehead from a MCA. However I am doing GREAT! You get used to these things in time and they do get less and less. Happy I can read and write on this site. Take care!

I had my surgery October 5, 2014 and I have the indention on the right side of my face in the temple area. My surgeon suggested that chewing gum might help build the tissue in that area back. I am like all the others who have had the surgery. I still have headaches on the right side ,where the surgery was. They come less often and are not as painful. It is a new step everyday in our journey to a different life, yet it is becoming one I try to find beauty in. I have learned to slow down and look at the little things I never took time for prior to the surgery. Each day I feel better and stronger. I hope you will also. Some days are more normal than others.I rest when I need to and listen to my body. Thanks to everyone for this site, it has helped me so much with this journey. Questions asked by others are questions I have needed answers to. Get out and enjoy the day.