Angiogram....groin entrance vs wrist

@Moltroub
:sweat_smile: :partying_face:

1 Like

We might need to start a Humor in the Hospital off topic topicā€¦Iā€™ll bet thereā€™s a bunch of us with funny storiesā€¦What do yā€™all think?

2 Likes

Oh yes. Humour is important in all of this.

1 Like

We can blame Noah Webster for the different spellings! Iā€™ll do it right away!

1 Like

I have had 2 angiograms. First time they tried to go through my wrist, got to my heart and saw my arteries are backwards (natural variance), so they had to back out and go in through my groin. Second one was in the groin area as well now that they know they canā€™t go through my wrist. The wrist was painful for me and I could feel the wire/catheter being entered and fed through, but through the groin I could not feel it. I despise angiograms because Iā€™m super sensitive to the contrast dye, so the whole experience for me is just unpleasant.

1 Like

Hello Kimberly. I had the wrist procedure 6 days ago and it was not too bad. But starting on the 3rd day after the procedure I was getting bruising. Itā€™s very painful - just as you mentioned. I feel like I need a sling. Does that sound like what you experienced? Oh, I donā€™t have pine cones around here, but I wanted to get back to some gardening and landscaping right away.

Thanks for posting and welcome again! Please call your Neurosurgeon or reach out through your patient portal and let them know whatā€™s happening. Always better to be safe than sorry.

I had my wrist entry back in June 2021 and was told not to do too much for a couple weeks I think it was. I think her words were something like ā€œlet the weeds grow or hire someoneā€ ROFLOL And I wasnā€™t allowed to carry cinder block with that hand or use a garden fork or shovel nor get the firewood split and stacked.

Itā€™s taken me 3 years to agree to the catheter procedure (lone parent/ kids now mature so I can concentrate on my health). Iā€™m booked in for a wrist procedure in a couple of weeks. I didnā€™t think Iā€™d be as calm as I am : )

Hi! I have had both done. I experienced more bruising and pain with my groin versus wrist. However, when I had my wrist done, I was in the hospital and they kept me there for another week, so I was not moving around a lot. With my groin, also in the hospital, but I was released the next day.

Iā€™d like to think that youā€™re calm about it because youā€™ve spent three years coming to terms with it and reading and sharing with us what it is all about. I think the majority of the fear is about the unknown but because of being here, you know stuff you maybe never thought youā€™d need to know.

Well done for getting yourself booked in.

2 Likes

Iā€™m really happy to read youā€™re putting yourself first! Good for you! I agree with @DickD in that discussing here with our members is a terrific source of support. I also think we become calm when we make a decision instead of having to concentrate on what decision we will make. I hope you come back and let us know how it wentā€¦

2 Likes

someone like me whoā€™s had both has probably already replied here, but me personally, iā€™d prefer radial. sore? yes. but when they went into my femoral it was more annoying having to lie flat forever, and being sore as i walk. also, i have numbness / sensation change on my mid-thigh beneath where they went in. weā€™ll see if it resolves soon! it only just happened during my surgery on thursday the 30th of june.

eta: yes i told my doc, and he wasnā€™t concerned. said give it some time to resolve.

1 Like

Thank DickD. Itā€™s 3.52am here. Had a couple of glasses of wine that gave me a massive hangoverā€¦poison wine!..been watching episides of Dr Phil. Itā€™s time to face the music, so to speak, and find out once and for all. Back in 2019, the neurosurgeon said ā€˜we donā€™t know how to tackle itā€™, I hope it needs no tackling.

Hope you are well Moltroub. The forum has been a great support and source of information for me. The dr had said it would be a 3 month waiting list but got the appointment within a month. When I got the appointment late 2019/ early 2020, Iā€™d cancelled it because of a few reasons, one of which was that the appointment came through too quickly. Iā€™m not cancelling the upcoming appointment. The fall I had in Spring this year brought home what could happenā€¦I was lucky it didnā€™t rupture.Thanks again Moltroub.

Yeah, Iā€™m not sleeping, either! :man_facepalming:t4:

The soreness seems to take a good bit of time to go away, especially if you have a hematoma. I had an odd feeling on one that my Neurosurgeon said she might have nicked a nerve. The last femoral entry I had, for the stent, sheā€™d used yet another type of plug and it felt really strange. She told me Iā€™d become an expert in plugs, she hadnā€™t another patient with the number of angiograms I have hadā€‹:crazy_face::joy:

Yes Iā€™m doing well, not sleeping eitheršŸ˜‚. Canā€™t blame it on poison wine, havenā€™t had a glass for a few months and now itā€™s beer season. Iā€™m really glad youā€™re getting support here! Perhaps youā€™ll be as lucky as Iā€™ve been and medical science has come up with something that can work for you if it needs anything! Cheers!

iā€™m thinking mineā€™s a nicked nerve. at least, thatā€™s what dr. googleā€™s pointing toward. :wink:

:joy: donā€™t we just love Dr. Google? I think the rules for femoral entry was to check for heat, swelling and maybe hard spots?

Hi All
Just wanted to update on this post. I had my angio one week ago today and they did in fact, enter through the groin as they did in the past. My Dr said everything looked good - still the one annie but he was not concerned. On my last angio a couple of years ago, I remember being told that of the 2 annies left, one was completely closed and the other ā€œalmostā€ closed. I am assuming that last one remains ā€œalmostā€ closed so I am waiting for my nurse to read his final report, explain to me what is happening, and talk about our plan moving forward. My recovery this week was slower then anytime in the pastā€¦I am going to say that my age has something to do with that lol. Ive had soreness in areas I cant explain and my breast swelled for one day ( looked like a boob job according to one of my friends haha) but other than that all went well. They used a new clip to close off the artery, they always come up with new things to play with lol so I think thats why my site is still a little sore, but I am moving around ok so I wont worry. Thank you all who replied to first post on groin vs wrist, and thank you for all the support!!

3 Likes