After surgery

Same with me, whenever pressure goes below 30.00 my head knows. Too bad I could not get a job in a weather depth somewhere.

I was good after my surgery in Dec 2010, then the headaches returned about 3 months after. I have tried 6 different med w no success. Then about 6 months ago I got nerve blockers and my daily head is down to a few a month… At time I still get weird sensations in my head. It feels strange in cold weather, and at times I feel like I’m laying on bricks instead of my very soft pillow. I wish you all the best in your venture to find relief. Amazing surgeon says has nothing to do w surgery… I beg to differ

Patty said:

I think so, I had my surgeries in 2001/2002/2003 and 2004, I know my head hurt for awhile but it goes away. If you ever feel unsure about how you feel thought, I think you should call your doctors nurse, that's what I did and it made me feel better knowing that what I was feeling was ok.

Caroline, I experience the same thing and I had my Annie in May 2013. I didn't get a lot of headaches for several months following my brain surgery, but now it is very common along with the sensitivity with my head. There are days that I don't want shower water to touch my head, much less wanting to scrub it with shampoo. I've had 3 migraines since my surgery, but headaches are a part of my life. I've noticed that weather changes and stress have A LOT to do with my pain as well. I recently saw my neurosurgeon and neurologist for tests and a review. They are blown away by my progress, but the headaches and depression is perplexing them. I take gabapentin 2x daily, just started on magnesium oxide and I'm still struggling. Praying that you and I, along with the many others that are struggling with these symptoms experience relief and healing soon.

I had a ruptured aneurysm in my brain 14 years ago on October 31st, I nearly died. I fight daily pain and sometimes it's a real struggle. I have tried several medications through the years. I am now taking Nortriptolyne and Seroquel daily. Sorry if I spelled them wrong. Unfortunately, for some of us the head pains are a life-long thing and we have to deal with it on a day to day basis. There are some days I am just sick in bed and have to stay home. For the most part, I can sort of 'ignore' it if I can. I have to work and can't just stay home, I am the only income provider in my little family. I sure wish you well!

Doug, the level of Magnesium Oxide though OTC that my neurologist prescribed Is kept behind the counter at my pharmacy. I have to ask for it and initially was asked why I wanted it. Remember even vitamins, minerals, herbs, can have effects on your body that need to be taken into consideration. A friend of mine tried taking magnesium oxide at a much lower dose and was not real happy that it also can make your bowels move - quickly. I had to explain that was what I meant when I said “no strain”

Doug said:
Mine come with weather changes. Where does one get a quality magnesium supplement that has good absorption rate?

I have had migraines forever it seems - much much worse during my recovery from hemorrhage & coiling and they subsided a few months after - but I still get 36 hr migraines from all sorts of reasons like certain foods especially chocolate & MSG - drastic weather changes cause them too - stress....lack of sleep....life....etc some of us just have to cope with them - I take an excellent product (expensive tho) called Amerge when I am really desperate to get rid of the migraine and that product is quite effective with no nausea or drowsiness

Caroline, I had an unruptured aneurysm July 2012, I've had migraines about 4 months after my clipping and still have them. I'm on Topamax 50 mg twice a day. If I wasn't taking the Topamax I would be having them every week. I see a Neurologist and the Neurosurgeon they both tell me things change with your brain chemistry as well when they go in and do a craniotomy its a big deal. Yeah I hate them because its debilitating, but try and get tests done like I did and when they find out whats going on or not, they may have to put you on headache/migraine meds. Sweetie you have my support. I know what you're going through. I'm going back in a couple weeks for my routine MRI, I pray that it is normal. Message me anytime. God Bless

Well yes from time to time, I have to watch my food and my drinks and also to avoid stress because stress is the worst, but anyway you should check with your radio neurologist or your neurosurgeon, take care, good luck.

This happened to me and it seems they have never gone away. It feels like there is pressure. Best way to describe is as if there is a tight rubber band around my head. Neurologists gave me Midrin. I do not want to be on meds remainder of my life. I bought a book by David Perlmutter called Grain Brain and it talks about sugar being a silent killer. I removed ALL sugar from my diet as well as gluten free and that has helped greatly. But, they have never fully disappeared and my head is tender. I had my aneurysm clipped 2 years ago. Hope this helps!

Sylvia did you remove gluten free food or eat gluten free food?

I ate gluten free food. I am especially careful to limit sugar intake. At the beginning, I completed removed sugar and I have to say it helped 100%. Another things that does help greatly is I go for a 2 1/2 mile walk each day. That is my number one thing. I have to do that.

Thanks for info. I am just reading info on Dr. David Perlmutter. A neurologist sure knows what he's talking about.

Sheady

I’m going to try giving up sugar and gluten to see if that helps… But I’m depressed just thinking about it… No chocolate?! :slight_smile:

I had an unruptured aneuyrsm with a crainiotomy; I had headaches constantly; after 2.5 years I saw a different neurologist who noticed that my left shoulder/neck area was swollen and recommended physical therapy. It worked and any headaches are minor. I'm sure our necks get wrenched around during surgery. I noticed the difference in my own shoulders in the mirror and the therapy worked.

I have had a ruptured aneurysm I have two clippings and it’s been over 4 yrs and my head still hurts so far i have been told I am a complicated case and just be happy that I am alive and good job on getting myself off of opiates (cold turkey) sometimes they just don’t know what to do with me and it is very frustrating but you just have to keep searching for answers and don’t give up hope is all we have to go with
If you figure it out please don’t hesitate to share

I had headaches after my rupture and subsequent surgeries for 4 years, pretty much constantly, escalating to really painful about every 10 days or so. I recently went on amitriptyline which has almost eliminated the constant pain. I have a Rx for percocet for those bad headaches, and that works. I also use marijuana, which is a great help.

I would say its normal however I did not have headaches after a few weeks. but I had sah grade 5 endovascular coiling, not sure what you had done. Clippers seem to have more headaches and im guessing this is your case? tc xoxo

It has been two years now, my head is still not back to normal. (as if it ever was) Still have headaches, blurry vision, tired. I don’t think I will ever get back to… what I ever was, but hey, at least I am alive.

Hi Caroline,

Yes, without a doubt my headaches returned after coiling. My neurosurgeon says it is migraines (something I had never suffered from before I had a aneurysm - and neither was I someone who got "normal" headaches often at all). Now there is hardly a day that passes without my having headaches in various degrees. Mostly I get them suddenly at night - they are so severe and unexpected, that I sit up straight from dead sleep to wide awake.

I have been prescribed muscle relaxants that I used to take every day, but they only helped for a very short while. Now I just live with the headaches and take painkillers when I cant stand them anymore.

Hopefully, yours will pass and you will have a head-ache free future! :)