Advanced Occular Ischemia and Neovascular Disease

In March of 2012 I was diagnosed with a 2.5 cm fusiform aneurysm. I underwent a coil and stent procedure. I was not informed of the possibilty that I would develop eyesight problems because of the lack of oxygen to my eyes. After coming to terms with the lifelong headaches and short term memory problems I was hit with the very real probability that I would loose my eyesight. I was fortunate to have a very caring optometrist. He was able to get me into one of the few retinal surgeons in my area of the country. I had repeatedly been turned down for disability and medicaid. My surgeon waved his fee and his office put me in touch with the Lion's Club. Sight unseen they paid for the Hospital bills. Even though I was lucky I am now legally blind, unable to drive, cook and do many of the things which make us independent. I would really like to start a blog, facebook page or other ways people in my positon can get the information it has taken me almost two years to find. I would appreciate any help or ideas anyone has. Please email me at ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■. Please use large font size. Thank you and hope I can be of help to others.

Hello Lisa. Sorry to read of your ongoing vision problems. Have you been referred to a rehabilitation service? They may be able to help you learn new ways of doing normal things and/or provide you with gadgets that make life easier. In the UK there are various charities that provide help and funding. There will probably be something similar in your area. A quick internet search picked up something called Lighthouse for the Blind. It's in San Antonio, but the website suggests it serves other parts of Texas.

Oh, and hoping for a better future... In Europe they are testing cars that drive themselves! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-24849948

Judith

ps can't work out how to increase text size. Hope you will be able to do it on your computer and read this.