A day to celebrate

Yea ME! Two years ago today. I am thankful for my medical team at MGH! I want to congratulate all of you that are making progress in your continued recovery. While the progress is sometimes harder to see, I know that I am continuing to heal. I wish the same to all that are looking for that healing. God bless.

9 Likes

Congrats Brian! Two years is a HUGE milestone for those who survive a rupture. Happy dancing for you!

4 Likes

Hi Brian,
May I ask if you had short term memory issue during your first year? My daughter got the rupture a year ago which caused her right side being paralyzed. We’re grateful that she is alive and making good progress physically. However, her short term memory is quite a hurdle. For instance, she cannot remember what she had for her meals, despite, food was one of her favorite. Since Doctor reduced her anti-depressant fluoxetine from 40mg to 20mg last week, I have noticed she started to retain new information a bit longer like an hour. Thanks for your help.

Congratulations! Stay positive, things get better over time. I’m dancing with you also. Thank you for the well wishes. God has been good to all of us. Each day is a blessing.:pray:t4::heart:

1 Like

The first year is the hardest with everything. Give her time. I pray for her continued healing. Memory has and still is an issue for me, but it’s much better than it was. I am almost 7 years post SAH.

2 Likes

Msjay, thank you. God is good to us all.

1 Like

This coming friday will mark a two year anniversary for my aneurysm rupture. I am thankful for my San Antonio TX doctors and nurses. I was coiled for that surgery. And my second brain aneurysm had not ruptured yet, but they found it and removed it in December almost two years ago when they were removing my avm.

Thank you! I appreciate your message.

Hello Lytran - I had some short term, and a little long term memory issues initially. Most of this corrected itself in the first weeks after my surgery. The short term memory problems persist to this day, but I am sorry to say not in the manner that you describe your daughter to be struggling with. I have trouble recalling various conversations or tasks that I need to do. But I would say that it is not a significant memory issue, and happens only periodically, though my family might suggest that it happens more than I know. I think I remember most things. I had OT for about eight months after which concentrated mostly on techniques to help me not forget or to remember what had been forgotten. That helped a lot. I did not need any medication, though I can understand how some medication could relax the memory to the point that things are forgotten. If you are seeing improvement, albeit slow, concentrate on that fact. I can’t tell you how many times that I was told how the brain is a complicated instrument and doctors only really understand 1% of its capability. Everyone is going to recover differently from this traumatic event. Sometimes plateaus are reached and it takes a while to get to that next recovery burst. Be patient and encouraging and ask for prayers. I am sure that is how I recovered. God Bless!

3 Likes

Thank you! I appreciate your message.

Congratulations Carolyn. God Bless.

Have you ever heard of emdr therapy? I am so upset today I could not go to work. Emdr therapy was suggested.

Carolyn9, Here’s a useful article. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/325717#how-it-works

There are some therapists trained in it in our area. Like Cognitive Therapy, it helps the client with “tools” to assist them in the area they need help and to take control of events/feelings that are controlling them.

1 Like

Carolyn - I am not sure it this was a question directed to me or not, but I have not had EMDR, but I have had psychotherapy. EMDR sounds like hypnosis, since you are in REM. I guess I would suggest that you hear them out and understand why they think this would be helpful. Then research and learn. I hope things go well.

BrianS, REM or Rapid Eye Movement is part of our sleep cycle. EMDR is not hypnosis, it does fall under the psychotherapy umbrella. It does use rapid eye movements that the client does while awake. I know, confusing right? Think of it as conscious movement as opposed to subconscious.

For those members who don’t know, psychotherapy is talk therapy and there are many, many specialties under the psychotherapy umbrella. As Dad used to say “There’s more than one way to skin a cat.” LOL

Very happy to hear that you’re now 2 years down the road of recovery. Go well!!!

1 Like