Is mri tof safe

Hi everybody! I would like to ask if MRI TOF safe after post clipping. The neurosurgeon refer for MRI and I just worrying it safe. Thank you.

It sounds like MRI TOF (Time of Flight) is a type of MRA (angiogram). Angiogram is the gold standard to evaluate aneurysm repair. I had coiling and I had to 2 angiograms (6 months and 3rd year). My Neuro-Surgeon is satisfied with results and I do not need to have another angiogram for the rest of my life. If it is an angiogram, it is non-invasive procedure. I was provided valium and fentanyl during the procedure. The procedure is done in the hospital and did not require over night stay. It is considered a safe procedure but it is done by Neuro-Surgeon or Endovascular Radiologist. In my case, I did have pain in my knee for a week where the Neuro-Surgeon mentioned that he may have nicked a nerve. There is a recent posting on this site where the patient experience pain during the procedure.

Hi 2 Fight,I think my procedure is just normal MRI but not 3D is 2D. I just worried it is with high resolutuon magnetic waves. Hopefully if they send me it is safe . Just wonder if any people on the site had id. It is very kind of you to answer all my questions. Maya

Maya,

You may want to ask the Neuro-Surgeon whether it is a MRI or MRA (angiogram). In the case of angiogram, it is still an endovascular procedure where a camera probe enters your groin via catheter through the artery which eventually enters your brain in conjunction with a MRI providing real time imaging to the aneurysm repair. I am not sure of 2D or 3D other than MRI and CT scan is planer (2D). There are multiple cross sections so with the right SW, a 3D image can be made. If it is an angiogram which was your first question, it is a safe procedure; however, there can be pain. Please refer to “Questions of Cerebral Angiograms” in this forum.

Maya,

Yes. Please call your radiologist. I called mine to find out what the doctor has ordered and she explained to me and it turned out that the order was not what the doctor ordered. (oh oh?) Anyway, your radiologist should be able to explain the procedure to you clearly. Good luck!

Hi Maya,

MRI is very safe as long as you don’t have any metal implants. Unlike x-ray and CT, it doesn’t use radiation to create the images. This means that MRI doesn’t make you more at risk of cancer.

TOF (time of flight) is an angiogram technique that also doesn’t require a contrast agent to be injected during the imaging. So, all you have to do is show up, take a nap in the scanner, and be on your way!

Meli

Meli,

Your comment in the most part is correct but understand that there can be some discomfort with the procedure. I had some pain in my knee and another member of this group also had momentary pain.

Also, the aneurysm clips are nonferromagnetic" or weakly ferromagnetic so it should be safe with MR technology. However, I know someone who had aneurysm clipping done in the early 90s which may have had ferromagnetic material so she can’t have MRIs.

Maya,

Angiogram is considered the gold standard for imaging and examining the integrity of clip or coiling. It is safe. It is conducted by either Neuro-Surgeon or Endovascular Radiologist. Is it 100% pain free procedure? It is why you are provided pain medication during the procedure. In my case, it was valium and fentanyl. Like Bibwelove mentions, the best thing is reviewing the procedure with your physician. Good luck

Thank you very much for taking time and reply to me. My neurosergent refer me to do MRI TOF and I dont think even if I aked them to do angiogram they wont do it.Another concern I have that I already have 3 CT scan from December 2016. On opinion it quite a lot. What you think 2 fight?Thank you very much.God bless you.

Maya, based on references that I have seen, it sounds like TOF MRI is an angiogram. As I understand, CT scan has high amount of radiation but MRI is not based on X-Ray. I would call your physician’s office and have the nurse explain the procedure that your Neuro-Surgeon ordered. Angiogram are considered the gold standard in evaluating blood vessels. If you are experiencing neurological issues, Neuro-Surgeon needs to check your clipping.

Thank you 2Fight, I am going to call tomorrow find out.God bless you.