Your opinion does matter

I am at a cross roads here and need some input from all of you fine people. Five years ago I had an anuerysm that ruptured while I was having an orgasm (embarrassing to say, but happens often to others). Luckily my awesome husband, who is a firefighter/paramedic, was right there with me. LOL. I was taken to Methodist hospital and underwent a clipping. By the grace of GOD and my awesomem surgeon, I made a complete recovery with minimal deficit. I am a nurse, was able to return to school and obtain a BSN and continue to work in a busy emergency department. In April I had an angiogram for a 5 year follow up of the clipping. This showed a new anuerysm in vertebral artery at the basilar apex. This is where the circle of wilis is, the portion of your brain that affects your balance, speech, vision and many other important things. The angio was done mid April 2010. On June 21st a coil was attempted. This did not work. They could not get the coild to adhere to the anuerysm. Needless to say I was distraught over this news as I knew what the next step would be, a clipping. Well I spoke with my nuerosurgeons nurse today who informed me that I will not be able to get in to have surgery with my awesome surgeon until 8/28/2010! Wow that is another eight weeks! My question to all of you is, Would you be worried about this delay knowing that you have had a rupture in the past? Would you seek a different surgeon? I am not sure what to do. I know that everything happens for a reason and GOD has a plan. But this seems a little extreme to be walking around with this in my head and having the history that I have. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Let me know how long you walked around knowing you had an aneurysm.

GOD Bless!

Sherri Preston

Hi Sherri,

Just wanted to let you know that I had to wait 3 months until I had my coiling procedure, due to the fact I was still recovering from an SAH that was clipped in late Feb. It was scary when I really thought about it, but tried to be positive & keep focus on my procedure date.
Take care & keep smiling
Hugs
Dani

Hi Sherri
I have been told that my clipping will take place in Sept or Oct (maybe). I feel my life is hold while I wait to get the op. I have never had one rupture so I can only imagine how you feel known what it is like. I would probably speak to a different surgeon in your case to see if they can get you in sooner.

Take Care
Claire

Hi Sherri,
I know how you feel about trusting your surgeon. I wouldn’t want to switch from my awesome surgeon either. I assume your surgeon is aware of your latest issues. He would probably fit you in if he felt it was necessary, as Jim said. I think mine would. Just make sure you are not alone alot of the time between now & surgery. That is the scariest scenario for me. Luckily I was with people when my aneurysm burst with the presenting horrific headache and 911 was called pronto. When they went in to clip the aneurysm, they found another and clipped it too. My two year check-up/angio in November.
Thinking of you.
Laraine

Sherri,
glad you found us. I am an 18yr. survivor of a basilar rupture(our time of rupture was similar as well!!!) While mine sealed itself, I then needed to have surgery. Coiling,which was new then, was ruled out. The first attempt of a clipping failed. Ten days later a successful proceedure occured. This was a trans facial approach. If you cannot picture anyone else poking in your head then I guess waiting is an option. However if feeling like you are a ticking time bomb, then look else where. While I didn’t wait for my brain surgery,(it surprised me) I did wait some three years later for my mastectomy. That was no where as volatile, but it was unsettleing non the less. I guess I would talk with someone else, that may help you through this process. Do remember you could end up waiting just as long to see someone new. I know it may seem like I’m flip flooping but please remember the only right thing is to follow your gut feelings. Its amazing what wonders the humane spirit and science can do together. Hope to hear from you. warmly, Gail

Hi Gail,
Thanks for responding. After much thought and discussion I think I am going to wait and stay with my surgeon who did the first one. I do feel like a time bomb but I am sure that GOD didnt spare me from a rupture 5 years ago just to have another rupture. Maybe it is just a test of patience and faith. I am going back to work tomorrow and I think that will help. It is stressful but a different kind of stress. Take care and I will keep you posted ;0)

Gail Bickford said:

Sherri,
glad you found us. I am an 18yr. survivor of a basilar rupture(our time of rupture was similar as well!!!) While mine sealed itself, I then needed to have surgery. Coiling,which was new then, was ruled out. The first attempt of a clipping failed. Ten days later a successful proceedure occured. This was a trans facial approach. If you cannot picture anyone else poking in your head then I guess waiting is an option. However if feeling like you are a ticking time bomb, then look else where. While I didn’t wait for my brain surgery,(it surprised me) I did wait some three years later for my mastectomy. That was no where as volatile, but it was unsettleing non the less. I guess I would talk with someone else, that may help you through this process. Do remember you could end up waiting just as long to see someone new. I know it may seem like I’m flip flooping but please remember the only right thing is to follow your gut feelings. Its amazing what wonders the humane spirit and science can do together. Hope to hear from you. warmly, Gail

Hi Jim,
I can totally relate to the fear of being alone. After my rupture I was so afraid to be by myself that first couple of weeks. It is like you don’t trust your body anymore and aren’t sure what it is going to do next. It took me a while to get over that. Now, since finding this second anuerysm, I find that again I am fighting that fear. This of course is driving my family crazy. lol. Again, I will say my mantra of You are never alone, GOD is always with you. That helped me the first time. Take care ;0)

Jim Fitzpatrick said:

After Ellen brought me home, I went everywhere Ellen went…we think it was because I was afraid to be alone

Laraine Wessels said:
Hi Sherri,
I know how you feel about trusting your surgeon. I wouldn’t want to switch from my awesome surgeon either. I assume your surgeon is aware of your latest issues. He would probably fit you in if he felt it was necessary, as Jim said. I think mine would. Just make sure you are not alone alot of the time between now & surgery. That is the scariest scenario for me. Luckily I was with people when my aneurysm burst with the presenting horrific headache and 911 was called pronto. When they went in to clip the aneurysm, they found another and clipped it too. My two year check-up/angio in November.
Thinking of you.
Laraine

Hi Laraine,
I am glad to know that I am not alone in my paranoia of being alone. After my first anuerysm I didn’t tell anyone about that fear. Now however I am telling my family and trying not to be alone. I think I will stick with my current surgeon. Everthing happens for a reason and for some reason I am supposed to wait to have my surgery. Take care ;0)

Laraine Wessels said:

Hi Sherri,
Thinking of you.
Laraine

Hi Claire,
I thought waiting the additional eight weeks was long but you have to wait until Sept or Oct, why such a long wait? I too feel that my life is on hold. I was going to try to apply for a teaching position as a nurse which would start in mid August. Now I can’t do that because if I were to get the job I would have to be off for 4 to 6 weeks shortly thereafter. I am also obtaining my MSN in nursing and have withdrawn from my current class and will have to set out the next one also due to the surgery. I just keep telling myself, just a little bump in the road on the journey of life but still a great inconvenience ;0)

Claire McDonnell said:

Hi Sherri
I have been told that my clipping will take place in Sept or Oct (maybe). I feel my life is hold while I wait to get the op. I have never had one rupture so I can only imagine how you feel known what it is like. I would probably speak to a different surgeon in your case to see if they can get you in sooner.

Take Care
Claire

Thanks for sharing Danielle. I am going to make a do to list and try to get a little more organized before my surgery and continue to work. That will keep me busy. Time goes by so fast anymore anyways. It will be here before I know it. ;0)

Danielle said:

Hi Sherri,

Just wanted to let you know that I had to wait 3 months until I had my coiling procedure, due to the fact I was still recovering from an SAH that was clipped in late Feb. It was scary when I really thought about it, but tried to be positive & keep focus on my procedure date.
Take care & keep smiling
Hugs
Dani

Think about it this way. The aneurysm didn’t develop overnight. It was there you just were not aware of it. 8 weeks will fly by. Just be aware of your body and if something is not right even if your not sure just call your physician. I waited from 02/01 until 05/23 the second time around. I know from experience that it won’t be easy. I wish you the best. God bless.

Hey Sherri

Good luck to you as you wait… I will be rooting for you… and you can always change your mind on waiting; you could also just make an apppointment with another neurosurgeon and get their take on the aneurym, location and treatment… sort of as a back-up. I understand your trust that if your surgeon felt ok about waiting till August, then it’s ok. (Of course, he’s also not the one running around with an aneurysm in his head). I had a rupture 5 years ago, with no warning, was in excellent health… so with that in my bones I don’t know as I could wait. Like you, and most of us, I think my surgeon is awesome… but I also think we tend to somewhat idealize people who have saved our lives (I’m a therapist so I have some experience in assessing that)… consequently we are hesitant about easily trusting another professional in the field… But we know there are more of them out there, because each one of us swears by our own neuro-surgeon. Just something to think about…

Sherri,
I am glad you were able to come to terms with your situation. Having made a decision empowers us. Trust your gut and know it is the right one at the right time. Remember we are here for you. “Slow and steady my friend”. Gail

Hi Sherri

Unfortunately its the health service in Ireland that means I have to wait that long. That is a private appointment as well. If I was going public my first appointment would have be 2012! It is very bad over here. I am just trying (unsuccessfully!!!) to not think about it and hope they time goes quickly. I have just let all the people close to me know the symptoms of a rupture so if anything happens they will know what to do…other than that its the waiting game for me :frowning:

Take Care
Claire

Sherri Preston said:

Hi Claire,
I thought waiting the additional eight weeks was long but you have to wait until Sept or Oct, why such a long wait? I too feel that my life is on hold. I was going to try to apply for a teaching position as a nurse which would start in mid August. Now I can’t do that because if I were to get the job I would have to be off for 4 to 6 weeks shortly thereafter. I am also obtaining my MSN in nursing and have withdrawn from my current class and will have to set out the next one also due to the surgery. I just keep telling myself, just a little bump in the road on the journey of life but still a great inconvenience ;0)

Claire McDonnell said:
Hi Sherri

Take Care
Claire

Hi Claire,

Keep living your life as you normally would. That is what I am trying to do. I keep telling myself that worrying is not going to change the outcome of anything, but may make it worse. I would think about getting a medical ID bracelet and wear it. If the wait becomes longer just come over here to Indiana and you can stay with me! We can take care of you lol. ;0)

Thanks so much for the encouraging words Gabriele! Life goes on! Speaking of which I need to go to Walmart ;0) Have a great day!

You are so right my friend! After comparing my films, they believe that this current anni was there 5 years ago when I had the other one rupture! So I guess I can live with it another few weeks ;0)

Hi Sherri,
I also had a basilar artery clipped in 1998. I am glad to hear tht the new protocol says to re-check in 5 years (no mention of it back then) but then I’m not sure I want to know! Mine did not rupture but leaked toward the end of my 8 week wait from diagnosis to surgery (it was that long even back then). But there is only one person I would trust to go to that part of my brain if it happens again. The Circle of Willis is tricky and not many surgeons are comfortable going there. I would wait for him. Watch for signs of change which may signal leakage. It may be a little change, but you will know it. Listen to your head & body. If anything changes, call your doc. I got more tired, snappy. But part of that could have just been the waiting. They will work you in, if needed. As all of us survivors know, trust is a big part of our survival. Good luck!

You are a genius Sherri…just ordered my medical ID bracelet! Don’t know why I never thought of that! Thank you :slight_smile: I am just checking flights to Indiana now just in case :o)