What choice to make? Clipping vs. Coiling with stent

Good morning. I am new to the group as well as finding out about my Aneurysm. My story. I am a healthy 39yr old woman with no prior medical issues. On September 26th, 2018 I developed a slight tension headache while at work around 4:30pm. Nothing out of the ordinary. I took a BC as I would and headache went away. I left work around 5:30pm while on the phone with my husband. About 1 min into my commute. I starting feeling weird all over. I felt short of breath, very dizzy and numb on my right side. I told my husband how I was felling as his place of employment is literally 5 min down the road and he headed my way. I tried to grab my water with my right hand as I was still driving and could not pick it up. I then tried to look in the mirror to make sure my face was not dropping as I at this point panicked as I thought I may be having a stroke. I could not see my face clear as it was blurry so I pulled over to the gas station and had my husband call paramedics as he was on his way. When my husband arrived with 911 on line, we noticed my right hand had turned blue. He rubbed my wrist area and color came back. I was able to do all the things operator asked him to have me do. Just was still feeling dizzy and numb. Paramedics arrived and took my vitals. Everything was good besides I had an elevated BP 155/101 which is abnormal for me as my bp is always in the normal range. I had just had my annual bio metrics screening the day before so I knew everything was good prior. Paramedics stated I was stable enough if I wanted to be transported to ER by private vehicle so we did. Once I arrived at ER, due to my symptoms, they immediately started running tests for stroke. I had EKG, MRA with dye contrast, CAT scan, and ultrasound of my arteries. They decided I needed to stay overnight for observation. The next day, staff neurologist came in stating he looked over my results and that I did not show signs of a stroke but that they would treat it as a TIA mini stroke. So at this point I am happy. But then he said, but we did find a 4mm Aneurysm of the internal carotid artery. Whhhhhaaatttttt!!! He said not to worry it is a small one, we usually worry when they reach 7mm. So I said is that the reason I had the weird symptoms. He stated the aneurysm had nothing to do with my symptoms. At this point I am confused. I was released and to follow up with a local neurologist. I did what everyone says was the worst nightmare was to google and research. I had an Aunt who passed away due to a ruptured aneurysm in 1996 so my whole life just felt over. I saw the neurologist who informed me although my aneurysm is small, it is irregular in shape. Mines is like a bubble with a unicorn horn on it. So he refereed me to go for an angiogram. At this point, I am terrified as I had only been in the hospital to have a baby. After the angiogram I met back with the neurologist and he advised after meeting with a board of colleagues that I should get it treated sooner than later. I was giving two options based on my special situation. To go for the clipping or coiling with stent. Which they left up to me to decide. I am not partial to the clipping only due to I had to get my nerves together for the angiogram and just the thought of surgery on my brain is terrifying enough. But with clipping, he states I will never have to worry about it again. With the coiling and stent, he asked do I want to live with a stent in my vein for the rest of my life and that I would have to take the aspirin and plavix for the first couple of months. I also read that sometimes the coils compact and you may have to get a recoiling. Could someone give me feedback of your experience with clipping vs. coiling with stent. Also, to this day, no one knows what caused the symptoms that lead me to the ER. Some days I still have dizzy symptoms which I will take a Dramamine to help. Anyone else experience anything similar?

Hey Marilyn
I have to say here your fears are normal, I mean let’s face it who wouldn’t/doesn’t have fear when they talk surgery, but then they say ‘neurosurgery’, that doesn’t simply double the fear, it quadruples it. It did for me. My initial surgery was an emergency situation, so I really didn’t have time to think about it much. But with the following surgeries I’ve had time to contemplate and that was simply awful. All those ‘what if’s’ run through our minds at 90 miles an hour.
As you’ve been told by the dr’s 4mm is considered small and at minimal risk or rupture, but the ‘horn’, that sounds concerning. As you’ve found out yourself, Dr Google isn’t always the best way to go, but I think we all do it, especially when the medicos are less the forth coming with information. And I know for myself it only add to my confusion and concern.
I think it’s a bit much the dr’s to be giving you very little information and saying “Well, you choose…” At a time when you’re trying to process everything and then they want you to make a choice???
In my opinion this really is something that needs to be discussed with a professional as there can be a few variables with both processes. With clipping a craniotomy (opening the skull) is often performed to locate the annie and a clip placed around it, that is if they can get to it. The coiling and stenting is done via the artery but the process can need to be repeated if the process fails for any reason, but again this really needs to be discussed with a professional and not something I could give advice on.
Others here may be able to give you a clearer picture of their personal experiences regarding the processes, but in my experience no two neurosurgical procedures are the same and nor are the recoveries, so saying exactly what will happen is impossible.
I do hope that others here will be able to give you a bit more specific information and I wish you the very best of luck which ever route you take.

Merl from the Moderator Support team

1 Like

My wife had the coiling done now almost seven years ago. She did not have a choice, really, as the professionals decided for us. She was in an emergency situation with it having ruptured (6mm) and having endured two ambulance flights to a location 600 miles from home. I personally think it is unfair to have the patient decide. Our team said they would take pictures; if they could coil they would do it the afternoon, if they couldn’t it would be done a bit later with the lead doctor of our team doing the procedure. As it turned out they could coil. Six months later at her checkup the found that the coil had compacted, so they added coil and a stent. It has been good ever since. My wife was unconscious until long after the first procedure had been done, so she has no memory of that. She was good going in for the second one, and she said it was really easy. She had no pain with it. She has a left leg that has issues, but otherwise she is quite active and does most everything she would like to do (except ride bicycle, jump, run). My encouragement would be that you seek professional advice as to which procedure to use–they should know more than a patient does.

Hi! First, I’m so sorry that you’re in a position to have to make this choice. Second, I am sharing my story with you, but certainly each patient and situation is different so you will need to make the decision that is right for you, but I’m hoping this will help you in some way. I found out about my aneurysm in March and after a CT angiogram and cerebral angiogram, it was determined I need to have my clipped because it had a very wide neck and coils just wouldn’t work. Mine was 4mm and ultimately I was told I could decide not to have the surgery at all. Old school of thought was that small aneurysms generally didn’t rupture but they’re not finding this to be true anymore. I am 40 and my neurosurgeon told me if it were his daughter he would tell her to have the surgery. Ultimately, since I have 2 little kids, I could never have declined the surgery. In the end, my neurosurgeon told me it was very good I had the surgery when I did as my aneurysm was much thinner than he expected. My experienced having the clipping done was extremely positive. Yes, there is more of a recovery than with coiling, but with my personality, I think I would have constantly been worried about the coils dislodging or something else going wrong and with the clipping, I don’t have those fears. At my last check up he told me have a good life and that was it. He also did say a benefit to clipping is that if something goes wrong, he would already be in there to fix it whereas with coiling if something goes wrong they just throw more coils at it hoping for the best. Maybe he was just telling me that to feel good about the clipping. I was much calmer on the day of my clipping than I was on the day of my angiogram if that makes you feel better! Either way, have faith in your surgeons, go in with a positive attitude and just do what you feel is right for you. Hang in there! There are many ups and downs but I can honestly say it’s been one of the best experiences of my life and I’m more filled with gratitude and live more fully than I did before finding out about my aneurysm. Best of luck to you! (((hugs)))

1 Like

Hello, I just wanted to share my experience as well. Mine, also, was an emergency situation due to rupture (3-4mm). I did not have any say in my treatment as I was not in a state that I was able to make decisions for myself, and have no memory of any of the 2 days before my surgery. However, I had the clipping done following my rupture in June. Going on 5 months ago, and I feel great today. I did have a 2 week stay in the ICU, which may have had more to do with the rupture than the procedure. I’m not entirely sure. I too have been given the ok to “Live my life as I would any other time”. No real restrictions for my every day life and a follow up angiogram 1 year from surgery. I am glad that my surgeon and family members made the decision to clip (My surgeon basically told my family that this was the better option and that is what he would be doing), because I do not live every day with any worry whatsoever. I feel so blessed to have come through my rupture and surgery as well as I have and to have had the surgeon and guidance I have had over the last 5 months. I hope you find the guidance you need to make the decisions you have to make. Best of Luck!

1 Like

Hi. So sorry about the choice you are facing. Three and a half years ago I found out I had a 6mm aneurysm on my acom. I chose coiling, and I ended up also having 2 stents placed in a “y”. Anyway, I had no complications other than a lot of bruising on plavix and a little bruising with baby aspirin, which I now have to take daily. I think I would make the same choice again. I felt really confident in my Dr. (a rarity for me) and that helped a lot. Odds are in your favor no matter what you choose-good luck!

Thank you everyone for your feedback. The support has been very helpful as well as comforting. I have decided to go with the Stent assisted coiling scheduled for December 13th. I am nervous as this will be my first time going under. Wish me luck. :slight_smile:

Good luck! I wish you the procedure to go smoothly !

Good luck with your surgery. I will be seeing a neurosurgeon December 11 to see what the best course of action is for my 15mm aneurysm. I’ll be thinking of you on the 13th!!!

Best of luck to you!! I was very nervous about going under, too but you will do great. It helped me to connect with my anesthesiologist in preop. Sending you lots of good vibes and can’t wait to hear your update after!