Unruptured aneurysm

Hi Lynne:
My aneurysm burst at work 2007…10 coils later and 23 days in the hospital with Terson’s syndrome (blind in one eye). I was a mess for 4 months but got back to work. I was told at that time it could grow back…sure enough it did. The surgeon kept monitoring the situation and I just couldn’t live that way any longer and elected to have bypass surgery in 2011. Unfortunately the bypass failed but he put 2 clips on it. Only 5 days in the hospital and a beautiful “zipper head” as my husband refers to it…incision from the base of my neck to the middle of my skull then hooked around to the left. Only 2% remains! I would do it again in a heartbeat. I was pretty black and blue after surgery as I was on the table for 10 hrs. Part of my head is still numb. My biggest problem was not the pain from the surgery but I had terrible back spasms from being horizontal for such a long period. Good thing is, the drugs they give you now, you just don’t remember much!! Everyone is different. For me, I just didn’t want to worry if I was close to a hospital “just in case”. Get a 2nd opinion as I did. Best of luck and listen to your heart. This was a cake walk for me compared to the first time!!!

Hi Lynne, congrats on your anniversary and the renewal of relationship. I had a 4mm aneurysm clipped on September 26, 2013. It was discovered by accident in July and after several rounds of testing we decided to have it clipped. After surgery my surgeon told my family if mine had ruptured I wouldn't have made it because of it's location. They had to go through my sinus cavity to get to it. They opened a hole in my skull in my left temple the size of a quarter. It's kinda cool in a weird way. I think because now that I'm healing much faster I find it fascinating what the body is capable of doing to recover. Miraculous really. From what I've gathered here at this site is that while there are many similarities there are also many differences. I couldn't drive for five months and had alot of balance issues. Physical therapy was a God-send. I play(ed) lots of games, did puzzles, wrote alot here and recently started volunteering with the Habitat for Humanity. All of it has been therapeutic in various ways...each exercising parts of my brain I always took for granted. I won't keep blabbering but you have a shoulder here if you need one. Well heck I think you've figured out there are LOTS of shoulders here. Comforting hugs to you.

I had a aneurysm rupture in Dec 2001. After my surgeon repaired the rupture they discovered two unruptured aneurysms. I returned to surgery 2 weeks later. During 2002 I had an infection in the flap and returned to surgery. After this ordeal, I decided to go back to college to obtain an MBA. I was able to earn the MBA. In Oct 2013, I fell twice injuring myself. I had an MRI and angiogram done when they discovered three more aneurysms. At that point I did not know if I would have the surgery again. My doctor told me I was a high risk for a rupture. I had the surgery in Dec 2013. Recovery was difficult this time around but I was able to return to work six months later. I want you to know that I understand how difficult this decision can be. I was worried about the swelling on my right temple. That people would make comments about it. Most people tell me that it is really unnoticeable. I was concern that I would be unable to work. I have not experienced any problems. I want to live to enjoy my kids and grand kids!! I thank God that he has allow me to have a wonderful life. You are very fortunate to have your husband by your side as you go this.

Dear Lynne,

When I went to the hospital with a terrible headache, cognitive problems and what turned out to be an unruptured aneurysm, I was given a "choice" to have immediate surgery or go home and think about it. But I was plenty impressed by not just the headache but a brief loss of speech, temporary inability to recall numbers, etc. And my grandmother had died of a ruptured aneurysm at the same age. I chose the immediate surgery. But of course I can never know what might have happened if I had chosen to wait. It's worth noting, however, that the choice I was given was between "now" and "later." Not "never"; that wasn't an option anyone recommended. So I made my choice thinking that if "never" was out, and "later" meant giving the aneurysm the chance to rupture and decide how much of my life to take, I should choose surgery "now" and let the surgeons do their best to decide how well I would be instead.

Maybe all our stories help, though every aneurysm and every person is different. (I know I really value the support I feel when I read in this forum.)

But my only advice is to get a second opinion. It's really tough making a decision about this. If your doctor hasn't said anything that tips you one way or another, it seems like a very good idea to show your scans to another doctor (or two!) to see if you can learn anything more, to inform your decision. I'm sure your doctor is good, but there's always another doctor out there with still more experience in exactly your issue; if possible, I'd urge you to find that doctor and get her opinion, too.