Time off work suggestions please?!

I am having a stent and coiling done on April 24th, almost 8 months after a crainiotomy and clipping on a fusiform aneurysm. I know this procedure/surgery (angiogram) is easier, however when the doctor doing the procedure said he will sign off on 2 weeks off work I almost cried. I went back to work after 2 months last time and should have taken 4! I still get headaches, I work a job that it very high stress sales, at a computer 10 hours a day under fluorescent lights. Is 2 weeks enough, or should I talk to my family doctor as well and see if I can extend it? My work has already told me to take as much time as I need because they need me 100% when I get back. Suggestions?

I think 2 weeks is way too soon, at least from my experience. The headaches from the surgery didn't wane until the 4th week and I was absolutely still very fatigued for months. I remember a good friend telling me at Easter 1 1/2 years after my surgery that the year prior (6 months after) I did not look or act like myself. Everyone is different - I was told that I would be in NICU for one day and be released from the hospital the day after (that didn't happen). I was told that I couldn't do much, including drive, for the first 3 weeks until my first followup.

I also firmly believe that going back to work when you are feeling fatigued or still having headaches can set your healing back. I would definitely extend your going back to work - I am surprised that your doctor only said 2 weeks. Good luck on this and on your upcoming surgery.

Sherri

Thank you Sherri! I had the same thoughts as you, 2 weeks is too soon! I am still fighting nasty headaches 7 months after the first surgery, I'm actually very apprehensive for this next less invasive procedure/surgery. I appreciate your feedback very much. Have a wonderful day!

Sherri Long said:

I think 2 weeks is way too soon, at least from my experience. The headaches from the surgery didn't wane until the 4th week and I was absolutely still very fatigued for months. I remember a good friend telling me at Easter 1 1/2 years after my surgery that the year prior (6 months after) I did not look or act like myself. Everyone is different - I was told that I would be in NICU for one day and be released from the hospital the day after (that didn't happen). I was told that I couldn't do much, including drive, for the first 3 weeks until my first followup.

I also firmly believe that going back to work when you are feeling fatigued or still having headaches can set your healing back. I would definitely extend your going back to work - I am surprised that your doctor only said 2 weeks. Good luck on this and on your upcoming surgery.

Sherri

Maybe you can talk with your doctor about your previous experiance. If not him, maybe someone on his staff such as a nurse practitioner, or physician assistant.

I think you definitely need more recovery time and maybe it’s time to think about a different career that has less stress and pressure. I know you can’t just decide to change, these things take time and thought , but at least consider it.

depending on how your recovery goes, I think 3 or 4 weeks is more realistic. since you are having a stent they will likely put you on plavix just beforehand, and I know when i had my stent and coiling, the bruising took about 3 weeks to go away (from being on plavix).