Taste distortion

Laura H, Glad to her this from someone else! How long ago was your surgery? Mine has already been a year? I over salt too! So I taste SOMETHING!

I used to get the hospital smell. Mostly when I just came home from the hos[ital. I hope you get better too!

I had my aneurysm surgery on May 7, 2013. A little coincidence there :) I agree, Fight the good fight! Glad you're doing so well!!

Hi Holly,

I now have odd taste since my aneurysm rupture. I can't taste sweet things at all, chocolate, honey etc just have a bland or no taste. Vegetables and some meat tastes like it should, but most things are just not quite right. I am going to acupuncture to try and get back on track, and its one of the things my acupuncturist is trying to repair, not much luck so far, but I'll let you know how it goes. It certainly does make cooking a challenge!

Cheers Kayt :)

Hi Holly,

I also had this issue of taste distortion. It did not happen right away though, it was two months into my recovery, and thats when I lost alot of weight also. It eventually went away, and I have not heard of anyone else with this issue until now? So I never went to seek help.

My operation was last May.

I hope it gets better for you also.

Take care, Tracy Reilly

K.k. Everything tastes matalic. That went away n now I just don’t have the desire to eat anything. I have to push myself to eat. I have five in my head. 3 have been coiled n I go back in this sept.

My sincerest wishes that everything goes well for you. I had one, which was clipped, and that indeed is enough for a lifetime, as I am still adjusting to the effects it left me. So, I indeed wish you the best.

I find the bitter taste wakes me up during the night, which is very annoying. However, I do have an appetite, especially for things I should not eat. So, I, too have to concentrate on eating healthy.

My daughter came out of ICU to rehab and the first thing she wrote (she couldn't talk due to a trach) that she wanted to go to Mongolian BBQ. She had awakened from her coma, and surgeries with a passionate love of really spicy hot foods that wasn't there prior to her event. It has been two years and she is no longer eating food that burns, but her tastes still aren't quite the same. I don't know if it is a taste distortion or a memory issue since her memory was pretty much gone and has been improving to the point that she can remember a lot of her past.

Hi Dorothy,

I sincerely wish that your daughter becomes stronger each day. I had lost much of long term memory, and really did not realize it until after I was home from the rehab, which was over 4 months from my event. I hated to tell my children, although I knew who they were, virtually all of their history with me was lost. However, with time, I did get the long term memory back, as well as have short term memory as well. To exercise the brain my children has bought me a Nintendo DS, and brain games to play on it. There are many ways in which to exercise the brain. Crossword puzzles, work search, any games which make you think. When I came home from the rehab, my children were very proactive in not allowing me to hibernate. There was a schedule of exercises with weights, puzzles for the mind and even games they had for the Certified Nurse Assistant I had living with me 24/7 to do. Neither of my children lived with me; however, they would call the CNA twice a week for a report! Boy, is that humbling for a parent-to have a child check-up on you! However, my daughter, being a nurse, knew how important it was to get back to living and establishing a routine, even if it was difficult.

Keep the faith. As many have pointed out, the brain is an amazing organ! Challenge it!

HI Holly

My sister also has taste distortion, especially with sweet tastes which taste bitter. She hasn't been given an expaination for this. After the aneurysm she was not able to keep any food down for about 6 months after which a dietician started her on NESTLE PEPTAMIN and then moved her on to rice flour and gradually introduced other foods. The doctors still are not sure what the cause of the vomiting was but they say that if it was brain damage another part of the brain would eventually take over this function. You might just have to wait and be very patient.

Nicky also lost sight in both eyes but had lazer surgery and is now able to see. The medical term used by the surgeon for this condition was TERSON'S SYNDROME . Have your doctors checked your optical nerve ?

I hope this helps you in some way.

Omg, thank you, this site is great. I had my clipping 3 months ago. And this is the first time I have gotten some confirmation, for all these issues. My sugeon also kind of poo pood my complaints, like it was meds of anesthesia side effects. I’m a nurse. Unfortunately this isn’t my first major surgery. Never had these issues.

I’m Paula, 54. I wish these nurologist would use these sites to help patients and families, with the recovery issues that can seem overwhelming, scary and unexpected.