Strange sensations in my head

Hi Everyone. Does anyone else have a strange sensation in their head like a firework went off? It kinda feels like when your foot goes to sleep and you poke it, electrical and tingly. I am experiencing this a few times per day. It “goes off” then fades away. Is it my imagination? I don’t recall ever having this before. I have only an unruptured aneurysm so no surgeries but did have CTA and regular angiogram in Jan 2011. I’m sure the docs would say it has nothing to do with the aneurysm, like my headaches etc so I won’t bother asking them. Just curious.

Please do ask them...

If they have not already, ask them to review/explain your angio images w/you...show you the aneurysm/artery (name and segment) and which cranial nerve(s) may be near it... and, if it/any could relate to your sensations... If your sensation/feeling is not in the same area, can they show you the images that should relate to the area disturbing you... and/or possibly refer you to a neurologist or? Angios are geared to show the detail of arteries... the CTA shows the brain anatomy a/w/a the arteries...just a difference in what shows the most detail of what...

REMEMBER ...I am the non-degreed/ non-licensed, non-professional who can only recommend / suggest you ask your mds...maybe I am supposed to write this statement before I suggest?

Wishing you the best of luck... keep us informed...

Thanks for the info. I don’t know much at all about my annie. I was simply told it’s not likely to rupture and go to the hospital if I get a bad headache. I didn’t know enough to know what to ask but thanks to your help and this site, I will be better prepared with questions at my next appointment.

Hi Mitch,

I had a ruptured aneurysm in March 2009. I was coiled and recovered quickly. In June 2009, I began having strange sensations similar to what you describe above. I was diagnosed with partial complex seizures, either a result of the rupture or the small strokes I suffered during the coiling procedure. Since that diagnosis, I have been treated for seizures (seizure meds with dosage experimentation until we found the right dosage for me) and haven't had a seizure in about a year. I don't know anything about this, except that what you describe sounds a lot like what my seizures feel like. If I were you, I would just as a neurologist about the likelihood that you could be experiencing seizures as a result of your aneurysm, even if it is unruptured. Good luck!

SKS

Hi SKS:

Thank you for the info, I never gave a thought to seizure possibility. Glad you recovered so well from your rupture/coiling. Do you expect to get off the seizure meds in the future?

Unfortunately, I don't expect to get off the seizure meds any time soon. My job is high risk for injury or death if I suffer from a seizure while on the job, so for as long as I work (I'm only 30), I expect to be on the meds. Luckily, I have not experienced harmful side effects from the medication so I don't mind taking them. The seizures are a very strange and almost indescribable feeling. They can conduct tests, the same as those given to epileptics, to determine the likelihood that you are having seizures, although all the tests I had were normal.

I hope they are able to find out what might be happening and solve your problem. Seizures are no fun, and though it sounds like if you are having them, they are equally as minor as mine, it's not good for the brain to have any seizures, even small ones.

Mitch,

Because I can see, read/comprehend much better than before... I went back thru the BAF site data...and, now suggest people read the Understanding section and, in another column there is a list of other sites to view...far beyond the little list I sent in to Avis on Awareness...

We all talk about wanting the public to know more...so...it is vastly important that we all know more...

Glad SKS gave you another suggestion to ask about...

I'm curious to hear more about this --- I do get sudden tingling on one side of my head, and it has happened a couple of times today, but doesn't happen every day by any means. I have 1 coiled (that did not rupture) and 2 unruptured being monitored. It feels exactly like a foot falling asleep - but it comes on quickly, like water being poured over my head almost, then goes after a short time. I don't know if I had these prior to all this --- I notice much more now than I ever did before, I'm not sure I would have paid much attention before.

I was diagnosed w partial seizures a few yrs ago (4 in one day, never before or after, very odd) and am on seizure meds now - so that might make this less likely to be seizure - I didn't even really consider that possibility. Guess I'll discuss w/ my neuro next appt.

Hi Jennifer...I wonder it it is the coils...I am not having this, but other things in head...and I am a bit frustrated...infact, I have had my right arm...since this surgery...not work right...and it is time to start letting Doc's know...but like you...they don't seem to care...

No advice...but I hope it is a site of healing...

Btw...have you noticed how some coils on this site haven't worked for people...I was never told this, how about you??? scary for me or us...on our 6 mos angio...

Oh well...can u tell? I woke up during the night with a headache...not good mood today...hahaha...!

Let me know if you find anything out about what is going on in your head...Big Hugs ... Colleen, Gotcha in my thoughts...!

Hi Colleen -

I wonder about the coils too. I read more on seizures today, and don't think it's that. I asked about how often the coils compact, and the nurse practitioner reassured me that it's not that common (I think she said 7% but I'm not sure), and especially not common in aneurysms that are under a certain size (8-10mm I think - again - not sure of the specifics). She said even in the bigger ones, the chances are that they will NOT have compacted. I'm trying to let that comfort me, but I'm pretty scared about both the process of the follow-up angio as well as results. She said the main thing is to make sure a scar has formed over the aneurysm, and that no more blood is getting in. Fingers crossed.

Sorry for the bad night - I had a headache over the weekend and was just so depleted - it hurts, of course, but also the emotional component. I've been feeling more scared again lately, and I'm tired of feeling scared. I don't want to spend days, or parts of days, feeling frightened and depressed, but sometimes the reality of what I have just hits hard.

I hope your headache is a short one!

Got you in my thoughts!

Hi all: I still find it odd that so many of us have headaches with treated or untreated (unruptured) aneurysm’s. And the docs say there’s no connection. I’ve had bad headaches for 10 years and they continue on although just found out about annie 1/2011. I guess many of us get tested BECAUSE of the headaches and they find the aneurysm’s. Many others must have aneurysm’s but don’t know it. I can’t imagine the fear if I had a ruptured aneurysm. Mine is small and apparently not a threat so it’s no big deal and I’m still not comfortable with the whole issue. I really feel for you all who had to have treatment for your annie’s, very frightening. I wish you all well and hope some day we can find a cure for our headaches! I fell in '96 (ice storm) and really hit my head hard. I was referred years later to a cranial-sacral osteopath who has really helped me. NOBODY else in 10 years was able to help with the headaches.

Hi Jennifer...

You are a sweetheart...Thankyou for the Gift and Kind note...

Thank you for the information from the Nurse Practitioner...My Neurosurgeons Nurse Practitioner is as helpful...she claims she is so overworked...and then I am afraid to ask her anything...Your information...will keep me feeling a bit more positive...I know you are scared me too...and then the one's they are watching...praying this doesn't grow...

Again...I think alot of your feelings are normal...

Headache feeling a bit better...sick to stomach from ferocet...but it helps so much...

Have a nice evening ... ! And Remember to Take care of YOU...along the way...!

Cyber ~ Hugs Colleen

PS...I hope you get to the bottom of the sensation in your head...I get burning from time to time...but not fireworks...