Stenting my lateral aneurysm

Hello and greetings!

I found out in May of this year that they thought I had a 3mm aneurysm at our local (terrible) hospital. In fact, the neurologist said he would worry one bit about it. The discharge notes said nothing about the finding. After going back to the hospital and requesting my records I was able to go to a neurologist who sent me to a neurosurgeon.

We did the cranioangiogram and they found a 8 mm TV x 6 mm CC x 5 mm AP laterally oriented saccular aneurysm arising from the ophthalmic segment of the left ICA, next to the ophthalmic artery. Not only that it is irregular shaped so it has a head on it. (I think it looks like a turtle!)

Because it is lateral, they can’t just coil it and call it a day. Most likely they will stent it. My surgeon did say that if that “bleb” ruptures while trying to coil it we could have some problems and they might have to get creative. They did prepare me for a smallest chance that they would have to clip it. (I really don’t think I have to worry about that but I appreciate them being forthcoming) Clipping for me is tough. It’s behind a bone so it will require some drilling and also a large neck incision for blood control. I really don’t think I have to worry about that though.

My surgery was already delayed once due to Covid. And my neuro says I am at the top Of his list. He is anxious to get in there- mainly I think because he really doesn’t know exactly what he’s going to do. He talked about balloons and coils and stents and combos of all of those. Just depends on what my brain will “let him do”.

We have been trying to get my blood thinner mix just right and that was the other complication. Apparently I am hyper sensitive to the thinners and we need to get this cocktail right before he can operate.

So if you think about me- send good vibes on the 31st!
Jeri

1 Like

Hello @MamaJeri
As many members say: Welcome to our group that no one would like to be a member of. Here is a lot of support to be found.
I will be thinking of you on the 31st and I am sure everything will go well. The neurosurgeons are highly trained and I suppose there is always a plan A, B, C etc. even if they don’t tell the patient about it. I ruptured in October last year and had my aneurysm coiled. I had to have a second procedure with a stent and more coils in April. When I was put on “blood thinners” we found out that I am hyper responding on Plavix/ Clopidogrel and the opposite for Aspirin. It took a few weeks before we got the right levels. You will be in good hands and you will be surrounded by highly skilled people. I was anxious about my second surgery but when I made the decision to go ahead and do it, I felt peaceful knowing that it would be better to get it done. We would love to hear from you again.
Best wishes for a smooth recovery.

2 Likes

Prayers to everyone… I just had a cerebral angiogram (follow up- stent) and found out that my aneurysm is gone!!!

2 Likes

@Jay
Wonderful news!

1 Like

Thank you… I no longer have to take plavix ; just baby aspirin (81mg) .

3 Likes

@Jay That gives me hope! The formula they are creating for these blood thinners has to be picked up at my hospital which is “down the hill” about an hour away. If this was something I had to do regularly, It’d be a pain to pick up.

But the surgeon did say something about a balloon possibly that would make it so I didn’t have the stent at all- but he just won’t know until he can see it.

I feel so welcomed here! Thank you!

2 Likes

Welcome to both @MamaJeri and @Jay! It’s amazing to ah e two new members on one post.

@Jay, your first post and it’s very good news indeed, awesome, I’m really happy for you. Why don’t you start a new topic and introduce yourself? We would really like to get to know you.

@MamaJeri, Wow, just wow. I’m so glad you took over the wheel and drove your own medical car so to speak. I’ve had four procedures for one rupture - coil, more coils, coils and balloon, coils and Neuroform Atlas Stent since 2013. I just tell folks I’m a caged, wired airhead now.

@oct20 is right that there seems to always be multiple plans, at least my Neurosurgeon has always had them and like yours has always shared them with me. On #3, when I became an airhead (balloon and coils) she was thinking she may have do a craniotomy, so I had my hair cut short. The first three and all the angiograms before and after were through my groin, but the last in December was through my radial artery. Many members have had theirs through the radial artery I. The last few years and all shared that it was very easy. I voted for radial entry on my last one and Dr. Quintero-Wolfe said we will see but be prepared for the groin.

When I got to the hospital in December for the last procedure, the wonderful NP that works with Dr. Q-W said that my radial arteries may be compromised due to my stay in spa therapy (NSICU where one doesn’t even have to wipe their own bottom). But they were good, a bit squiggly (tortuous) but Dr. Q-W is very adept with tortuous arteries as she does a lot of work with AVM’s. I’m very pleased to share that what the members shared was absolutely correct and if you have an opportunity for your Neurosurgeon to go through a radial artery, I’d grab it. Recovery time is a whole lot faster! I still had to spend the night but that wasn’t a big deal.

The biggest thing we have learned here and with all my procedures is to get your house in order before you go in on the 31st. Not only cleaning it (it will be a way to get rid of any angst you and your husband may have) but also all the paperwork, like wills, power of attorney’s, insurance policies etc.in one place and easily found. I look at it as being a Scout - Always be prepared. If you’re a spiritual or religious person, it doesn’t hurt to get that house in order either. Hugs are important so hug your husband if for no other reason then the fact y’all have put up with each other LOL. If you’re the cook and he is not, have some easy meals prepared. As you already know since your angiogram, there’s a bit of time for recovery. Make it easy on you both.

Find a way to really talk to your husband. It’s been my experience that we as patients may have some trepidations, but our partners usually have more fear. Seems everyone wants to be brave and they ignore the huge white elephant in the room. I don’t believe that’s healthy, better to address it and kick the dang thing out, in my opinion.

Since you mention going down an hour drive, my guess is you probably live in the beautiful Sierra Nevada’s. I hope your not affected by any of the fires going on.

Be safe, hydrate before your procedure so the needles and catheter go in easily and best of luck!

Moltroub

2 Likes

Hello @Moltroub
You have shared so much important information in this post. I also prepared a lot before my second procedure, cleaning, paperwork and serious talk with my husband and family. I also cooked extra food and had dinners ready in the fridge. I felt like I had everything under control. However, when I came home from the surgery and the next time I opened the oven, what did I find……:flushed: 30 ( not so delicious) meatballs :roll_eyes: ! I guess I was a little nervous after all.
Be well prepared @MamaJeri and don’t forget the meatballs.
Good luck!

2 Likes

Good morning to you @oct20,thanks! When I ruptured I had been trying to make lard in the crockpot. I wanted to use it on my handplanes. I at least unplugged it. By the time BH got home a couple days later, I hear the house reeked and someone was quite upset about the crockpot. Guess who’s never tried that again? :rofl:

So a big yes to checking all the things you might be cooking!

Moltroub

1 Like

@MamaJeri
Good vibes sent to you today! I hope everything went well with your surgery and that you will have a smooth recovery.

1 Like

I read your story I hope you are doing well and starting to to live again with out all the medical stuff on your mind. You’ve had beautiful weather to sit out side and enjoy the rest of summer. I’m thinking of you and take it slow . Best wishes and a speedy recovery.