Sleep and driving

I am six months out of 2 surgeries for a giant ruptured ani. I get so tired but can’t sleep. Does anyone have suggestions? I don’t want medication due to side effects and melatonin is taken daily. I think because of lack of sleep, I can’t remember anything and won’t drive due to dizziness. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Good Morning Slbz! Driving is a privilege at least that’s how I look at it and also don’t drive under various conditions. Glad I’m not alone…Have you tried not taking naps during the day time, not eating within two hours of going to bed, not watching tv in the bedroom, withholding caffeine after say 2:00 pm? One thing I did while I could still work was use a chamomile tea blend. An over the counter brand is Tazo Calm. I have a loose leaf mix that I get when I go to see my Neurosurgeon. I had to do something to help my circadian rhythms as I worked both nights and days, in a rotating shift. Oh and another trick one of my PCP doctors taught us is to set the air conditioner down about five degrees or so from your moving about your home temperature setting. So if you set your thermometer at 70 during the day, drop it to 65 or even 62 at night. For some, even a shower will help them fall asleep. Whatever you do, create a ritual so your mind and body know it’s time to sleep. hope these ideas give you a place to start. Don’t forget to let your doctor know.

I recently read a study that 40-60% of TBI {traumatic Brain Injuries} survivors suffer from insomnia. I have the exact opposite problem, I sleep at least eight hours at night and am still tired next morning. You may need to research insomnia. good luck

I have trouble sleeping often. It's like my brain doesn't want to power down sometimes. This sounds odd but the thing that puts me to sleep immediately is playing a music download on my Kindle that I keep near my bed. It's called Drift by Tania Rose. Truth be told I have no idea why it puts me to sleep. I tried listening to it during the day one time and it sounds like someone just snoring softly. But to my brain it's like a lullaby I guess.

If you're interested, here's the link to the song.

sleepytime sinus soother tea helps, tc xoxo

Harlylena- I played the Drift song segment, Ohana woke up, got her head out of the blanket, tilted her head and listened until the sample was over. Guess what we got?! If the dog likes it, it must be good!

Haha!!! That is too funny.

Moltroub said:

Harlylena- I played the Drift song segment, Ohana woke up, got her head out of the blanket, tilted her head and listened until the sample was over. Guess what we got?! If the dog likes it, it must be good!

My Dad can't stop sleeping! He slept most of the last two days. But he's only a month out of surgery.

I was like that for about 3 months after my rupture. Things have been better lately. Yoga and long walks are helping.

wow!! just tried a otc sleep aid called "getting sleepy" 11pm untill 6 am i slept like a rock! first time in over 6 yrs!!http://gettingsleepys.com/

also was on day 1 of b/p meds so was it that or the sleep aid? ugh

ronk said:

wow!! just tried a otc sleep aid called "getting sleepy" 11pm untill 6 am i slept like a rock! first time in over 6 yrs!!http://gettingsleepys.com/

I slept all the time the first year and still take three hour naps:). It was hard to,stay awake more than 15 minutes. Now when I eat, I can literally fall asleep ten minutes after the meal is over.

That is a real dilemma. While undergoing cancer treatment years ago I was on a med that gave me severe insomnia. After a few weeks of not sleeping, my Dr. did prescribe Ambien 10 mg - I was so messed up by then. I stayed on it for the 4 years I was undergoing treatment. I loved it when I was able to stop taking it a few months after stopping treatment.

Not sleeping or not getting enough sleep can really do a number on a person. I'm so sorry you are going through this. Maybe Ron's med might help? I also occasionally take 1-2 5 mg of Lorazepam (anti-anxiety) when I need to get to sleep, but can't. I don't have any side effects, feel great when I wake up in the morning, and it doesn't interfere with REM sleep like the strong sleep medicines like Ambien.

I wish I could offer you something that worked other than that, but I don't know of anything else. I do know (as other people have said) that being on the computer late at night interferes with my being able to sleep. I hope you get some relief soon.