Shunt question

What is a rolfer?

I don't get headaches but feel pressure sometime. When I go to the dentists, movies and car head rests... I have to have something under the back of my neck to keep the shunt from having pressure on it...very uncomfortable if I don't. Check out with dr. and I hope it is your sinuses. Good luck

Colleen! Hello friend- you're right, it has been a long time- I'm glad you are settling into your new home, am I correct in thinking that you grew up in PA? Assuming since you sold both the other homes that you are there more permanently?

I do visit this site (more often than I should!) and think of you every time I am on here- so you are in my thoughts....I tend to be more of a "snooper/looker on here".

Thank you for sending a "blast" e-mail regarding my question- as you can see, I've gotten a lot of response- I will keep you updated- I did send my PCP an e-mail last night asking his advice- although I am feeling better- right now-D

Thank you, I'll keep you all updated-D

Yes, please, what is a Rolfer?

I want to know too! Rolfer?

hi Dana! Welcome back! my surgeon just nodded in approval when i told him about pressure and i thought it was a sinus pressure type and he didn't elaborate. Canada says shunt malfunction = stomach ache, the nuero nurse said i would be sleeping all day and im nodding off writing this--lol. Mine is a codman adjustable but so far no ones checked it, they said if i am sleeping all day to go to er and if they cant check it they would ship me to philly none of this makes sense, i wish i knew. c'mon over we'll hop a train to philly to get our shunts checked-lol ps getting my annual mra soon and they check shunt pre and post with xrays but i think that's just to make sure it didn't move? i hope you get some relief soon xoxo~~

All shunts are calibrated. It takes two seconds to check. I would start there first. We were told not only to look for headaches but increased sleeping time. It needs to be checked. Its better to be over cautious.

I am so glad you asked this question because I to have been having headaches lately. I've learned alot reading the responses you have recieved. My shunt was placed in July of 2013. I try to keep a positive attitude and it seems to work. Ignorance is bliss! LOL I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts.

Hi Dana...read your note...ah...yes...I grew up in PA...we are leaving about 1 hour from family, close but not too close...I can tell you I am done moving...going to get settled...funny how I am returning ... almost like life goes full circle...things are truly working out...anyways, take care of you and I am glad you are feeling a bit better...keep us posted...Happy Hump Day ~ xoxoxoxoxo ~ Colleen

Hi Dana - I had my shunt implanted in Oct. 2011 to treat hydrocephalus. I have not had any problems except for the occasional headache but nothing I can't deal with. I was told it was a permanent placement and have only had it checked a couple of times shortly after it was put in place. So far, so good but I do appreciate your bringing up this topic and I hope you get some relief from those headaches. I usually take an Aleve but not very frequently.

Fond regards -

Kathy

Rolfing is a type of physical, almost massage, therapy developed initially by Ida Rolf. The underlying theory is a bit like chiropractic except that Rolfing works on soft tissue. By righting misalignment and clumped up muscles or tendons or other membranes, the body has a better chance of healing. There is a whole special area of training in cranial-sacral treatments. Those are very gentle and work with delicacy on membranes. I don't feel like I'm describing it very well. Here is a website that actually tells what it is about. http://www.rolf.org/about When I first heard about it, probably in the 70's a lot of the talk was about how painful the treatments were. That has changed. Today a practitioner might want to push it as far as possible when something is really locked, but will back off from actual pain. Whatever the description, it has been a godsend for me.

Update- I spoke with my Neurologist the other day, he doesn't think the pressure headaches have anything to do with the shunt- I agree since the allergy meds I started taking alleviate the pressure! Yeah!

Thanks to everyone for your support- I so appreciate it-

I wonder is there a group for the one with a Shunt, I suppose we are comfronted to the same issues? Thanks to let me know.

Luxtine, I don’t think there is a special group for people who have shunts, feel free to start one! If you need help with it, let us know?

I have the Codman programmable shunt. My doctors told me if it was malfunctioning I would know it. I would experience headaches and would not be able to walk properly. Anytime I require an MRI, the program needs to be checked by means of an X-ray. It can be reset in a matter of seconds if it needs to be. A Neurosurgeon indicated that I probably no longer require the shunt, which was put in to take the cerebral spinal fluid off the brain following the aneurysm. Most likely the brain functions has returned to normal. However, unless I experience problems with it, it will not be touched. There are times around the shunt, I feel an aching sensation. When I do, I just massage the area softly, and then it feels better.

I also have a Codman programmable-valve shunt. This was installed at the Cleveland Clinic, where I go for all follow-ups on my stent and clip. I schedule any MRI's with a back-to-back appointment with my neurosurgeons, who have a little plastic, doughnut-shaped device. They press it on my scalp over the valve behind my ear, read the setting, and adjust it back to 1.5 (my setting) with the same device, through my scalp. No x-rays; not sure what an x-ray would accomplish? Even if one's CSF circulation had repaired itself, I believe the presence of the shunt might drain more fluid than you want, if the setting is not right. I'm surprised at the amount of variation I'm reading about on this post, in terms of shunt patients' follow-up. I know the technology keeps advancing, so perhaps that explains it. Mine was installed 4 years ago.
Holly Springer said:

I have the Codman programmable shunt. My doctors told me if it was malfunctioning I would know it. I would experience headaches and would not be able to walk properly. Anytime I require an MRI, the program needs to be checked by means of an X-ray. It can be reset in a matter of seconds if it needs to be. A Neurosurgeon indicated that I probably no longer require the shunt, which was put in to take the cerebral spinal fluid off the brain following the aneurysm. Most likely the brain functions has returned to normal. However, unless I experience problems with it, it will not be touched. There are times around the shunt, I feel an aching sensation. When I do, I just massage the area softly, and then it feels better.

Anna,

The only purpose the x-ray serves is to see the setting. Then with a small remote, the shunt can be reset if needed, and the setting visually inspected. My shunt was put in back in 2001, so I bet things are done differently now. I think it just is so amazing that aneurysms can be fixed at all. At one time, this probably was not even conceivable.

Hope you are doing well.

Anna v. said:

I also have a Codman programmable-valve shunt. This was installed at the Cleveland Clinic, where I go for all follow-ups on my stent and clip. I schedule any MRI's with a back-to-back appointment with my neurosurgeons, who have a little plastic, doughnut-shaped device. They press it on my scalp over the valve behind my ear, read the setting, and adjust it back to 1.5 (my setting) with the same device, through my scalp. No x-rays; not sure what an x-ray would accomplish? Even if one's CSF circulation had repaired itself, I believe the presence of the shunt might drain more fluid than you want, if the setting is not right. I'm surprised at the amount of variation I'm reading about on this post, in terms of shunt patients' follow-up. I know the technology keeps advancing, so perhaps that explains it. Mine was installed 4 years ago.
Holly Springer said:

Hi, I try to create a group for the one who have a shunt because right, it was the same for me, impossible to get answers because, the neurosurgeon saved my life, so the small inconveniences seems futile, and my GP didn’t know anything about it and was not even ready to Google it, I think it would be nice to have all the info together.
I have been told if your shunt dysfunction, you may have high fever, loose of balance and an.incoherent behavior.
Maybe, after checking with your doctor, you should keep a food diary for a while and find out if you are intolerent to certain food,or certain drinks, it was my case, when I eat healthy food I have less headaches.