SAH & 2nd annie TBD - emotional ups & downs

Hello Fellow Survivors. As many of you, I feel incredibly lucky to be sharing my story, and here it is, the long version – because I kind of need to get it out…

Originally from Trinidad, I am a 49 y.o. mom of three teens (19, 15 & 15 - twins) married to a wonderful husband for 23 years now. We were on the last day of a 12-day ski-trip in the French Alps spending the Christmas holidays with my husband’s family. It was indeed as exciting and fun as it sounds until…

That Friday morning, January 5th, 2024, I went to the bathroom and soon after, out of nowhere, I felt like I hit my head on a concrete beam – pain radiated from the top of my head down and down my neck and spine. My knees became weak and wobbly, as I tried to go wash my hands, and then holding on to the walls to get to the sofa. Meanwhile, my husband had gone off to get some croissants for the kids, and my mother-in-law was awake with me. I should note that my French is fluent-ish, but intermediate at best, and all words left me as I was dazed and confused. I did not relay what I was actually feeling or had felt – I just held my head with a facial expression that I was in pain. She awoke my father-in-law (retired doctor) who checked my temperature, I think he checked my eyes, she put on her Apple watch with ECG function and I appeared “normal” – they suggested I lay down and rest. I made it to the bed and proceeded to vomit. There was nothing in my stomach. The context of that day was that my husband, three teens and I would pack up and head to the 5-hour train to Paris just after lunch, and fly back to Washington, DC on Sunday. Missing either of these legs would have been logistically complicated – in retrospect, of course, our logic was not the wisest. The train ride went fine – I felt tired and weak, but otherwise was able to walk as needed – I think I Googled my symptoms on the train and came across brain aneurysm, but kind of dismissed it. The next day, we had planned to take the kids around the neighborhood where we stayed in Paris, and so I mustered up my little energy and told my husband I just needed some Paracetamol for my headache. We took it easy, stopping and resting intermittently. We even had made plans to have dinner with friends who used to live in DC. I talked about my experience the day before with them and my friend suggested I should get compression socks for the flight.

Sunday, we got to the airport, and it was pretty clear that I was not feeling great… but we kept going. My kids and I waited on the side of the luggage line, as my husband went to print out the boarding passes, at which point, I just couldn’t carry myself anymore. I just sat on the floor and teared up. My older son ran and got an airport wheelchair and I got registered as needing assistance. All these red flags, we just blatantly ignored, but then again, the alternative would have been, go to the Paris Hospital and say, hey, I have a headache…? Reschedule five plane tickets? Other than feeling weak and some intense calf cramps (is this a thing or was it me skiing badly?), we made it back to DC. I ordered dinner on the drive back home, so that the kids could get to bed, as they would have school first thing in the morning. After dinner, I told my husband that I was going to have myself checked myself out at the ER, that something didn’t feel right, but assured him that it was no big deal, I can go by myself. My older son said he would accompany me.

We arrived at SMH around 8:00 pm on Sunday, Jan 7th, and my response to what I was there for, was essentially, I need to get checked out – there was nothing perceptably wrong with me. I got triaged when they drew my blood, did a chest scan around 12:20 am and they ordered a CT scan. Between being weak and jet-lagged, I was in and out of dozing off. At some point, I went to the front desk to ask about the wait for my scan and they reassured me the wait was normal. I dozed off again. A couple hours later, I found out that I had been removed from the waiting list as they had called me three times and I did not answer. I finally got in and the ER doctor said that the CT scan illustrated a “small bleed” and they were waiting for the neurology team. I called my husband. At this point, it’s around 7:40am on Monday 8th and just after my husband arrived, they said they were going to air-lift me to another hospital with a specialized neurology department (half hour on the other side of town, but 3 mins. by helicopter).

The paramedic said he did not expect me to be awake, as he transferred me to the stretcher. The paramedic and ER doctor then had a little stand-off in the hallway about my BP being very high and that I needed to get medication before the flight – the paramedic proceeded out the door. I should note that I am fully aware that this was serious, but at the same time, I’m thinking, ooh, I should take a picture from the helicopter (lol), as the only thing I held on to was my phone, but alas, I was strapped down. On the helicopter, mid-air, the paramedic tells me that my BP is extremely high and he was administering medication through my IV.

So we get to the other hospital, MWHC, waited a bit for registration(I think they transferred everything from SMH, but it still took some processing) and eventually my husband met me in the neuro triage(?) area just before the doctor came in to describe that I had a subarachnoid hemorrhage and I would be going in for an angiogram through the femoral artery, going to try coiling (describing all these new words to us), but it could potentially be more invasive with open surgery – they wouldn’t know until they we would be in the OR. I think this is the first time it really sunk in… My husband said we were in surgery for about an hour and a half and then said I was in recovery. Thankfully, they were able to coil the 10 mm aneurysm on the left side (on the “Y” of two arteries), but they also found a second smaller intact aneurysm on the right side that we would need to “take care of” once we know that the ruptured one is settled and stable. I stayed at the Neuro ICU for 8 days and 3 in intermediate care – they explained that post-aneurysm rupture, between days 7-14, is when I was most at risk for a vasospasm that could cause a stroke. I think it was the 3rd or 4th night when I may have had one or the beginnings of one in the middle of the night and they administered something through my IV. Otherwise, I was fairly lucid and chatted with the nurses. I relied on Amazon Music on my phone for background music and grateful that I was not experiencing sensitivity to light, so turned to Netflix during the day to pass time. The doctors and nurses all said that I was pretty lucky and that I was doing very well neurologically. I will be going back in for an “observational” angiogram in 3 weeks (Mar 7th) to see how “annie 1” is doing and I guess to determine what the plan is for “annie 2.”

So how did I end up looking for this group? I think throughout the hospital stay, the focus was of course on ensuring that the aneurysm was stabilized and that I pass the neurological and PT “tests.” Once I was discharged, I made it through the day with this silly Netflix series, “This is Us,” and I found myself in bed at night wondering about all the possibilities and what could have happened… If the “small bleed” was not so small while I was in France… what if the extra hours in the ER waiting room had a different outcome… I was having very vivid dreams and I was waking up every couple of hours. I suspect I also needed to wean off the schedule that the hospital had my body on and the every 6-hr Tylenol schedule. I was also afraid to sleep on my side – I had been sleeping pin straight on my back that whole time at the hospital as they had a direct BP monitoring IV in my vein. I woke up a few times in the middle of the morning just sobbing. Last week, I got up from my afternoon nap and was feeling fine, slathered a banana with some Nutella, took a bite and then proceeded to cry uncontrollably – out of nowhere. Later that night for dinner, with kids at the table, I had to run to the kitchen to cry. Was I feeling anxiety(?!) – my heart would feel very heavy suddenly. That second annie is certainly looming in my sub-conscious. And back to @Moltroub , my Bernadoodle has been a huge source of comfort and my daily goal to accompany my husband to walk him to the park. I attached a photo :slight_smile:

Depending on the next angiogram, whether we treat annie 2 soon and how I feel, I may tentatively go back to work mid-April based on the doctor’s sign-off for medical leave forms and it just seems… so out of reach. I have already figured maybe I could start 24 hours/week at first so that I could continue my mid-afternoon nap time that my body now expects. How long after your procedure did you go back to work? I’m seeing six months for some? Do you still need naps? Do you get fatigued? I look forward to connecting… (if you made it this far in my little story). Thank you!

6 Likes

I made it through your entire story Kimoy! How could one not? After all, it’s an extremely amazing story of survival. I think the tears are coming along with the knowledge of just how serious your situation was and what could have happened. Crying is okay, even if we don’t understand what it is we are crying about.

I wonder if the life flight RN was able to administer something for your high BP once the helicopter got in range of the second hospital and was able to get the order through. I’m not sure how that works as my flight was a bit longer and the RN kept shooting me up with something every time I woke up. He said he’d given me enough to knock out a horse, I remember telling him to try giving me something to knock out an elephant. He must have because that’s the last thing I remember of the flight :joy:

I’m always doing a happy dance for those members who rupture and can return to work. Doctors decide when we can return as they’re the ones who sign the medical release, usually. Somehow I was released to return to work whilst still in NSICU. I wasn’t able to return to work but I eventually came to accept it. Depending on how you do, will let you know how long you can make your work days once you return. I would suggest you ask your doctor to let you ease back in as many members seem to do better.

The naps won’t be needed as much nor as long after a while. Your brain is still healing and this requires hydration, protein and rest as my Neurosurgeon always told me. So make sure you’re getting adequate amounts of all three.

Thank you for the picture of your Bernadoodle, he is precious. I find animals are very good at knowing what we need and are going through. Listen to him😂

3 Likes

Thanks so much for your words of advice and comfort @Moltroub — and for moderating this site — it has been so comforting to read other survivor stories and how other navigate similar feelings and diagnoses.

I do need to keep on top of the hydration and protein — the latter I was not as aware for recovery, but now I will. Glad I got some seasoned chick peas! I had read that women from late 40’s/50’s should be doing high protein with menopause anyways.

When I first returned from the hospital, my dog laid on my lap and just comforted me. It was so sweet.

As for naps, I am trying to listen to my body and I guess I’ll see where I am at that time that I am “released” to work. Interesting that they signed you out to return to work kind of asap from ICU. It seems so subjective based of your doctors’ opinion. A colleague of mine had a stroke last year and he advised me to not rush back nor try to be oh so resilient and “tough” - he had returned a month after his stroke, per doctor’s release, worked six months and crashed, then needed six months off to recover and take care of his health.

I’ll be following…

1 Like

It’s my pleasure to help you and an honor to be a moderator here. We really need to remember that healing takes a rather long time from a rupture. It’s ok for your family to see you cry, it may be that’s the only clue they have that things have changed a bit.

When you wrote chick peas, it reminded me of when I started to eat after threat of feeding tube. I ate the same things every day to the angst of my wonderful RN. For lunch, I always had humus, they made really good humus. :joy:. I believe that the WHO recommends 120 gms protein a day whilst the US recommends 90 gms. It’s much easier now to get the protein needed with all the protein drinks, etc. then it was when I was released. Don’t forget the electrolytes.

BH was really upset when the release to return to work letter arrived at home, really upset. I think it was during week 2. It was an error that was made, not by my surgeon, but the woman who does those for the Neuro team.

When we adopted Ohana (avatar) she would stretch out behind me and lay her head on my neck. It helped immensely but I think it also was a hint that my aneurysm was not occluded. She’s 40 lbs give or take now and she is still a lap lover!

3 Likes

@Kimoy
WOW you survived!
I hope your recovery goes well, but it takes time, longer than you think. You have already figured out that it is best to listen to your body, take a nap if you need it.
All the best to you, please keep us updated :heart_hands:

4 Likes

Ah - hummus! Love hummus!! Yet, it is not in my fridge right now — thanks for reminding me to add to my grocery list. I was having my husband bring me coconut water at the hospital for those electrolytes — and then forgot all about it once discharged! :sweat_smile: I was telling a friend, I can’t figure out now if it’s a side effect of the procedure or me just getting older that I’m forgetting little things.

2 Likes

I was 53 when I ruptured, I had an excellent memory prior to my rupture, afterwards not so much😂. I used post it notes, then a white board and finally my phone. I’ve been having some wonky brain days here of late and I forget to look at my phone first thing, thanks for the reminder! I think you could probably just use your phone as your leaps and bounds ahead of me.

Remember your neurotransmitters have to find their new pathway and that takes a good bit of time. There’s no set time as everyone is different. I liken it to a road block that’s suddenly appears when you’re driving to work and you have to find a different route. A bit frustrating so remember to do some deep breathing exercises.

4 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing your story. After getting my 33mm leaking aneurysm coiled,3 years later I too suffer from fatigue. I used to be very active, gym, weights, long fast walks. Now +40lbs the couch has become my favorite hangout. I know some of it is age but prior to my Giant aneurysm I felt very spry, healthy active 60 year old. Thank God you are still alive and can enjoy your family. It’s a new journey we are all on. Time to make lemonade out of life’s lemons​:sunglasses::+1::pray:t2:

2 Likes

Just wanted to let you know. We appreciate what you do here. I am always encouraged and thankful after I get on this site and review other’s journeys.
:pray:t2::heart::pray:t2::heart:

2 Likes

You are too kind! Has the powers that be given you the all clear to return to the skies?

1 Like

Not yet. We have sent everything they wanted. Pray they clear. I’m running out of time .i turn 65 in September. Unless they change the law,there is a bill in Congress to raise age to 67. We will see. Thanks for your hard work encouraging others in this post aneurysm journey.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing as well — we all have such incredible stories. I stumbled upon this podcast ‎Brown Ambition: CNBC's Sharon Epperson On Surviving a Life-Threatening Brain Aneurysm on Apple Podcasts and thought it was all relatable. Good listen!

2 Likes

I’m praying! And my fingers are crossed😂. You’re one year ahead of me, I’ll be 64 in September. Congress can be frustrating with how long it takes to get both the House and Senate to agree on a bill. There is no such thing as a simple bill I fear.

1 Like

Kimoy, you have an amazing story of survival. When reading your story I was shocked by the successful travel home and saddened by the delay once home at the hospital. Unfortunately, it seems aneurysms are still not recognized as quickly as they should be. You are doing get, and you are really doing well listening to your body. Keep advocating for yourself, particularly when addressing the 2nd Annie.

As for the crying and emotions, I believe that is very common. I lost a best friend to a car accident when I was young and stopped crying; when I was 25 I had a ruptured aneurysm and the tears never stopped after that! That does settle down as your body adjusts to the changes and trauma. Side effects from an aneurysm leak, rupture, burst, or pressure will be different for each person. The location of it can make a difference, too, as can the amount of leakage or pressure. I am 30 years post-aneurysm burst and still have side effects that I live with, but I have learned to adapt to most and remain in a constant, personal fight with others! My only recommendation, be patient as you learn about yourself again. Another point – as you mentioned, sometimes we have symptoms that are not related to the surgery or are complicated by the surgery. Menopause is a real thing – forgetfulness, exhaustion, erratic sleep patterns. I find that dealing with menopause now makes the remaining surgical frustrations of forgetfulness, exhaustion, and erratic sleep patters just that much more pronounced! But it is nice to talk with my friends who are at the same stage in life and learn they have some of the same frustrations without the complication of a burst aneurysm past.

Just don’t let the exhaustion and frustration stop you from living. You have been blessed with survival of the leak to enjoy your three children and your marriage. Trust me, there will be frustrating days – days when you wonder why you survived – those are the days when you can rely on the strength of your family, as there have been many years when they have relied on your strength as a mother, wife, caregiver, homebuilder, chauffeur, coach, lover, and best friend. They sound like they are ready to do the same for you.

4 Likes

Thanks for your thoughts, @KrysG. Wow. 25 is so young to have experienced this and it’s inspiring that you have navigated life and appear to be “living” life. I thought of Emilia Clarke, of “Game of Thrones,” on Surviving Two Life-Threatening Aneurysms who was 24 when she had her first and she continued filming Season 2 and the rest. You’re bafsupport’s own Daenerys :wink: I just read that article above, which is her full story written by her, and got some anxiety about her second smaller aneurysm, which is kind of exactly what I have. The doctor hasn’t determined when/if we “take care of it” yet. Emilia Clarke’s second aneurysm story is not inspiring to me with my current “wait and see” status :neutral_face:

Yes, there is definitely a “hole” as it comes to recognizing the symptoms/what to look out for. I should note that my father-in-law, who is a retired ER surgeon, was there that morning and did not even recognize the symptoms and/or explained them away to some degree – granted that I don’t think I was able to describe to him how I was feeling coherently, nor do I recall telling him about the loss of control of my legs. A neurologist friend of mine who visited me after discharge from the hospital, said I had textbook symptoms and “checked” all the boxes for a brain aneurysm hemorrhage. I see there is an Advocacy Day on March 20th Brain Aneurysm Foundation here in DC – sounds like BAFound is trying to do something about it. I’m not sure I can “support” in person at this point – I can barely stay awake past 2:00 pm – still need a nap.

I have been managing my emotions a bit better (for now) – I do find listening to music lifts up my mood. I am curious though – you said you still have side effects 30 years post-aneurysm – what type of side effects? Emotional or physical? Yeah, so I determined that I am in peri-menopause and had just started estrogen/progesterone HRT this past summer. So then I started panicking that maybe I should stop it – I ended being off of it while I was in ICU. I did some Dr Googling, and came across an NIH study that in effect supports taking estrogen and then I further consulted with my PCP, who agreed that I should continue taking it. The main reason I started taking it was that I would get hot flashes in the middle of the night which essentially made me miserable the next day from the broken up sleep. This went on for some time and the sleep deprivation was affecting my daily effectiveness at work and well, life. A friend mentioned this article What to Know About Menopause and Hormone Therapy - The New York Times to me, I found and listened to From PMS to Menopause: How to Hack Your Hormones and Use Science to Lose Weight, Sleep Better and Get Your Mojo Back | The Mel Robbins Podcast and another recommended an online site called Midi Health where you can consult with a medical professional and decide if it is right for you – they really didn’t “push” it on me. I mention all of this, as to your point, there is post-aneurysm and then there is menopause and other health symptoms that creep up and confuse what the heck is going on with you!

Another aspect of this experience that I haven’t gotten to yet is how do your work peers perceive you as a “post-aneurysm” colleague? I had one colleague text me with concern (of course) and then she started asking if I have trouble finding words or has it affected my memory. Somehow it felt “over the line” and I got uncomfortable revealing that bit. “If” you went back to work, did your peers treat you differently, or do you get “passed over” for projects/roles… or do you not care? :sweat_smile: That would be the alternative approach, I suppose. I am really not there yet, as I am still on medical leave through mid-April, just happy to be alive and grateful to have time with my family, to slowly organize my house that has been in disarray for years now and start back oil painting (with my daughter this weekend).

1 Like

It’s exhausting talking to the many different politicians. It used to be physically exhausting with all the walking and stairs, I had a lot of problems with stairs back then, a lot. We would take an elevator when we could but they’re often packed. And goodness there’s a lot of noise, until you get in an office. I quite going when I developed DM as I just didn’t have the energy and walking ten feet brought tears to my eyes until my Rheum got me on the correct dosage of medication. But I still send an email to my Congressman and two Senators encouraging them to get on board, none have except for the first year I went and it was my Congressman who signed. He never signed after that. DC has no representation on the hill so I’m unsure who you would write to, maybe Biden? You can send an email to the BAF and ask.

The Bee Foundation was there for Lobby Day with the BAF. There is also other organizations that lobby on different days such as The Joe Niekro Foundation. I think it would behoove all of us if all the different foundations could set differences aside and join together on the same day. Hopefully Kevin is still helping out with Lobby Day, he’s an awesome attorney and has great attorneys working under him. The more experience they had, the better it was in my opinion.

2 Likes

Hi I had a ruptured anni with surgery. No coil because it ruptured so badly. It took quite a while to find “normal” and reinvent myself.
Give it some time and don’t rush.
Good luck

3 Likes