Recovery time after rupture

Our daughter suffered a ruptured brain aneurysm this past May. She is 25 was in excellent health. Still has no use of her left arm and hand and is having extreme difficulty with spelling and remembering. Can anyone share when we can expect to see improvement?

I'm so sorry that your daughter had a rupture so young - I consider anyone who survives very lucky. I was one of the lucky ones - it was caught before it ruptured. It takes the brain a while to recover - is she still in physical therapy? I think everyone heals at different rates, but since your daughter is young and in excellent health is really in her favor.

There are mental exercises to strengthen memory, etc. online at: http://www.lumosity.com/landing_pages/692?gclid=CjwKEAjw-8ihBRD2t9qT3NaW7igSJAD3_sNVW1yddAsE2f7WOc7kgIOQG4yX9HRxbxu33kbIevRzDhoCqP7w_wcB

My memory is really bad and I am going to start doing brain exercises to see if it helps.

May is really not that long ago - I know that it probably seems to both of you. Brain recovery takes a long time - keep us informed. Glad you found us - this forum saved my sanity.

Sherri

Hi Mary Ann - I was just ready to post my response and boom I did something to make it all disappear. This healing of my aneurysm sure is a frustrating thing! I had a ruptured aneurysm this past February. I had left sided weakness and short term memory issues among other things. I spent 3 weeks in the neuro ICU and then 3 weeks in a rehab hospital. I can say that the speech, occupational and physical therapy I had was so helpful I recommend that your daughter do the same if possible. I was fortunate that my insurance covered it at home after I was discharged. This was set up through the Visiting Nurse Association. They came twice a week and spent around 1/2 to 1 hour each time so it doesn't disrupt your day too much but I can say the help was huge. It didn't always seem like it at the time but it really does help in the recovery. The speech therapist will help with the remembering and spelling and of course the physical therapist with her arm weakness. You may not need an occupational therapist but they will help with her day to day things like dressing, showering, cooking. Your daughters age is on her side so she might see an improvement faster than someone like me who is close to 60. But as others will tell you, each person is different in healing and as frustrating as it is, it is a day by day recovery. My doctor told me it can take up to a year for your brain to heal and now at 8 months for me I can see that. Time is a big factor in all of this. Patience is so hard and I've ranted here about that too. I wish you the best with your daughters recovery and let us know how you and your daughter are doing!

Thanks Wendy. Alana spent 8 weeks in the hospital, then had two months of in home PT, speech and OT and is now going to out patient neuro rehab five days a week three hours each day. My insurance benefits are going to run out however we are willing to pay what it takes to continue her recovery.

I really appreciate your reply and wish you the best!

Mary Ann

Hi Mary Ann - I should have assumed she was having therapy! Sorry, for my long winded answer. I wish I had a better answer for you. So, so frustrating. I'll be keeping you and your daughter in my thoughts!

Thanks Wendy. Wishing you the best too! Let's keep in touch.

Have a wonderful day,

Mary Ann