Question - Does anyone have skull pain?

I have coils in a ruptured aneurysm and an unruptured one. They had to install a shunt after the rupture. So i had to have part of my head shaved and my scalp cut so they could put it in my head. since then when it is cold outside my scalp feels like is is tightening up. my skull itself hasn't hurt but to feel that my skin is shrinking is a weird feeling. hope yours can be fixed.

I'll look into that. Thanks.

Lindsey Hansen said:

I am 3 years out from a PICA clipping and I used to get the pain all the time but I work for a general surgeon and he injected my scar with Marcaine and Dexamethasone. I had to have it injected a couple time over the first 2 years but I have had barely any pain now so I call it a success. Maybe it's something you could ask your PCP about.

I'm all about alternative medicine. Thanks.

Mechell said:

I have started soaking in liquid magnesium in a foot bath, it seems to help . A great reference book to read to help heal yourself is "The Magnesium Miracle" by Dr. Carolyn Dean

I purchase my magnesium on a site called Health-and-Wisdom.com there is so much information on their sight as well. I find Lavender Essential oil helps too.

I am not affiliated with either of those but I am all about natural healing and finding out about what Drs. do not seem to be able to answer.

I wish you all much luck in healing, it is a long road and even though I have found things to help, I still at times experience many symptoms still to this day 6 years later.

Nothing yet. I decided to pose the question here first, as I often find out really good info from others who have experienced it.

chillygirl said:

I'm 1-1/2 years post surgery and the indent seems to be getting "more indented". Occasionally I have pain in that area, but not regularly. What does your doc say about your aches?

Yes, 18 months since surgery & still have skull aches & tender spots, and feeling of tightness on that left side. And yes my indentation seems more, I hope my brainā€™s not shrinking, lol! My occupational therapist (who is trained in & applies physical- all therapies) is treating my neck & skull with massage & circulation, it helps. It can take years for all the nerve & vessel healing, and/or adapting to all the hardware and damage. I hope you find some relief.

Well my craniotomy will be 27 years in June. Yes I have a dent and it never really will go away. Considering how much bone had to be sawed to remove the bone, I don't think it's going to regrow! At times I hate seeing it. Other times I just accept it. It's there every time I look in the mirror... I used to sleep on the left side of my head 90% of the time before surgery. In the beginning I would find myself turning and falling asleep on my left side. Only to awake with a disturbing feeling and pain in my brain on that side. With the bone still able to move some it will just push into the left side of my brain and cause discomfort. It's really been a very long time since that's happened. I am pretty much trained to always protect that side of my head. Now, what I do have trouble with is trying to hold my mouth open for long periods of time while at the Dentist. I had a lot of muscle cut by my left temple. That also contributes to my dent. I get severe sharp pain in that area when I try to stretch my mouth open more than it wants to go. I haven't been able to open my mouth wide anymore. It only goes so much. It's just one of the many things we all have to live with for the rest of our lives.

Dom

OH MY! Iā€™m 11 mos post clipping and this was not what I wanted to hear today! I keep hoping the head pain will subside and both my Neurosurgeon and neurologist are dismissive that I could not possibly be having post surgical pain this long afterwards. My internist however gets it and heā€™s the one managing my pain meds. Neuro keeps Diagnosing mine as migraine activity, and you awesome survivors keep reminding me that we all have different recoveries and for many it does take years. Iā€™m so grateful for this forum as I keep learning more and more. Iā€™m grateful I donā€™t have it any worse - as many people here do. A good friend reminded me that we only have to live one day at a time and not to get overwhelmed by the what ifs? Right huh? God bless all who come here to share. Hugs!

1 Like

I had clipping done right side MCA in July 2014, still have it and still have skull pain. Surgeon seem curious about it when I asked him but never gave me a reason for it. It was only here on this website I found it to be something others experienced also. As always, so grateful for this site!

Still have dent that is!

Hello milissa yes I still have pain yes its been 10 years march 9 2005

You are very welcome. I hope you find your relief! :-)

Melissa said:

Mechell said:

I have started soaking in liquid magnesium in a foot bath, it seems to help . A great reference book to read to help heal yourself is "The Magnesium Miracle" by Dr. Carolyn Dean

I purchase my magnesium on a site called Health-and-Wisdom.com there is so much information on their sight as well. I find Lavender Essential oil helps too.

I am not affiliated with either of those but I am all about natural healing and finding out about what Drs. do not seem to be able to answer.

I wish you all much luck in healing, it is a long road and even though I have found things to help, I still at times experience many symptoms still to this day 6 years later.

If your dent is in your temple area (as mine is) or other area where they had to cut thr

Whoops hit send too soonā€¦if your dent is in an area due to muscle atrophy where they had to cut, it wonā€™t ever ā€œfill inā€ because the muscle is atrophied. I was told that I can have an implant to fill it in but thatā€™s honestly the last thing I want - more surgery on my head and a foreign implant - ugh. As for your painā€¦I would tell your neuro and see what he/she says.

If you like magnesium soaks, you might like the magnesium lotion too. Made by Ancient minerals and check out Dr Mark Sircus for lots of info on magnesium and natural healing as well. Love Dr Dean too! Transdermal is the way to absorb it!

Mechell said:

Melissa said:

Mechell said:

At 13 years I still get skull pain at the incision line. I do not get it nearly as much as I used to. Mine only lasts for a couple seconds and then it stops and I dont have it again for awhile. It will get better

Is the pain a sharp stabbing pain?
Wendy Greenawalt said:

At 13 years I still get skull pain at the incision line. I do not get it nearly as much as I used to. Mine only lasts for a couple seconds and then it stops and I dont have it again for awhile. It will get better

Deborah said:

If you like magnesium soaks, you might like the magnesium lotion too. Made by Ancient minerals and check out Dr Mark Sircus for lots of info on magnesium and natural healing as well. Love Dr Dean too! Transdermal is the way to absorb it!

Mechell said:

Melissa said:

Mechell said:

This is great info. I have been taking 500mg daily for leg cramps due to all the antacids I have to take. TY for the info going to check out this book ASAP

Hi Melissa. I am almost three years out from my ruptured annie - I have pain and aching of my head where the craniotomy was and ITCHING! That is what bothers me the most. I feel like I need a shirt that says - I DO NOT HAVE HEAD LICE! The pain comes and goes, and feels like a headache. I also require large amounts of sleep. I go to bed at 10 pm and sleep until 11 or 12 most days. Although I feel so lucky to be alive, I know This is probably as good as it is going to get.

All I know is that, eventually, all the post-craniotomy aches and pains, for me, did cease. Then, I stumbled into voice recognition softwareā€™s use and that really improved my memory deficit.

Debbie has this as well. The indentation, her doctor said, is because of cut muscle on the outside of the skull. I didn't know there was muscle where that is. The indentation seems worse at times and, when it is worse, the headache is worse.

Her surgeon said she shouldn't experience any pain past 6 weeks. She's coming up on 3 years now (time certainly flies) and she has headaches about weekly - some of them quite excruciating for her. Her follow up exams have all been positive on what's going on in her skull so we try not to worry but it is hard to see her in so much pain. That said, she's alive. And many days she doesn't have any pain. Those are the days we treasure the most.