Pocketing food

Has anyone ever known someone after aneurysm return to eating after pocketing food.now causing weight loss and interfering with nutrition

what is pocket food? hi

Pocketing food is a term where people will hold food in mouth rather than swallow. Sometimes caused when a person does not recognize when mouth is full. In that case I understand a person will then have trouble swallowing. My husband started of eating very well then started pocketing his food. Yah he got to be different, all is well after several swallow tests he has clean bill for his swallowing. The doc thinks hospital food and possibly control issue. Anyway as of today things are back to normal ate a Wendy,s burger today and a load of whip cream and watermelon, he needs the calories.

ty, all i recall is they were really scared i would choke and started with the thickened water then jello then pudding, soft pretzel, took days to pass the tests. Thats funny-Wendys. Thats what i craved but it made me get stomach ache and loose bowels, then they said it was lactose intolerence which i think was baloney, it was all the meds and the feeder tube intolerence! I know you want to see lots of meat and plumpness on his bones but thats not going to happen yet, it takes a year or two to transition to solid food and for system to revert back to fat storage and for muscles to build again, baby steps 4 sure. Anyways I was happy to hear from you and was thinking of you two! Prayers for excellerated improvements. Try not to worry, my recommended weight is 160 and that is really skinny like i was in the hospital, I’m 210 now and 5’10 , way overweight. I remembering telling PT i was 200 and they were like no way!! lol, take care, please tell him what i wrote, said Hi and to hang in there, time is on your side, you will get better but you have to wait. Waiting gets easier and you will learn to relax and gp with the flow. bye for now

Palhuc

How is your husband doing now? The story of Wendy’s was very interesting: if the hospital food there is anything like what I’ve been served, I’d be engaging in silent protest as well.

I think of you often. Do let us know how things are now.

Seenie

Hi Seenie
nice of you to ask how we are doing.hubby is doing great but if you can believe still having issues with bed sore and not completely healed after 11 months he is still in hospital 1year.he is doing very well but still not walking and this has alot to do with not aggravating bed wound.it seems they are telling us his bleed is reason he is not walking but he has never yet been put on his feet. this has been a very frustrating experience as though coming back from stage 4 bleed wasn’t,t enough.the pocketing we believe is the incredible horrible food and they are purreing food looks like baby food.however when I bring buckets of food carbonneras whip cream, fresh fruits, cheese puffs etc he never pockets , loves pop sicles and watermelon.

Hello Ronk dou u remember me my husband had a stage 4 wound and a stage 4 bleed. If you can believe he is still in hospital after13 months. He has been waiting to get into rehab andhealing the bed sore he developed while in hospital care.how are you doing.? Are you getting back to your normal self. Lol if I recall you made me laugh , as you had a great sense of humor while you recovered. Let me know how u are .

1 Like

Hello palhuc,
Honestly about the bedsores issues it my heavy load when still in the hospital. IT REALLY HURTS THE FACT WHEN WE ARE MOVED "sorry but its true. Can I Give you a tip for the bedsore to heal a lot faster a year with bedsores is too long though.
My Dr. told my husband that every mornin g or every time that He is cleaning my body “WITH A DISTILED WATER THEN THOROUGHLY CLEAN THE WOUND AND PUT BETADINE BEFORE YOU COVER IT THIS IS DONE DAILY MY BEDSORES WAS HEALED FOR 1 HALF MONTH ONLY"this might help to improve your husbands status.
and as for the Foods” he is now on the process of picking the taste of the foods we like to eat as well as the texture also are our problem it has to be soft.
this is why he does not eat well and keeping foods in his mouth too.
I hope it help you to understand him more.
I FEEL YOUR QUERIES HOPE AND PRAY FOR YOUR HUSBANDS FAST RECOVERY!

TAKE CARE
MAES

My mom is still early in her recovery and does the same thing! Sometimes she won’t swallow and she says she doesn’t want to choke or other times just doesn’t feel like eating, but when we give her something she loves, like pizza or cheese ravioli, she’s all about it and eats it right up. Very strange, maybe she is still getting her appetite back? When she doesn’t eat much we give her an ensure shake and she has no problem with those.

Hi yes I remember you two! Aww no I cannot believe it has ben so long. So sorry! Why cant rehab take him? My rehab was like a hospital. Thank you for remembering me and saying Hi. Prayers for you all at team Palhuc. I’m about the same thanks, lots of nerve pain, stiffness but thankful I can walk short distances. Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas to you and yours! tc

Hello Ronk yes it has been 1.5 years since hubbies bleed , he is in long term care now trying to get mobility back. They are finally working with him to get walking again. It has been a very long road but at least he is healthy and very cognitive. He looks and feels good . Very anxious to return home as we are to get him there. Would be great to get some semblance of life back in family. How r you doing?are you have continuous improvements.

Nice to hear from you. I’ve been wondering how your hubby is doing. Good news is always good, even if it takes a long time!

1 Like

Hi!! good to hear from you, I appreciate the shout out! I’m pretty much plateaued to be honest, I’m 8 yrs post, lots of nerve pain plus I got arthritis in hands shoulder and hips but I’m thankful I can walk short distances, 80 ft to mailbox wipes me out for a half hour. Prayers he keeps on improving! tc