New meds and too many doctor opinions

Let me start off by saying my EEG results came back ok. Thank God for that! :grin:

I been seeing my PCP for a couple of months (had a break because Medicaid screwed me by switching me to another company (without my consent). I couldnā€™t get medicine or anything bc even tho I had a card from this company; I did not have a plan. It took many phone calls to find out I was never on the company they originally switched me to. Sorry Iā€™m ranting :triumph: My PCP been trying to get me on blood pressure medicine even tho in my notes from my neurosurgeon it specifically said for my blood pressure to stay between 120-160.

I went see my neurologist a few weeks ago and they did another TCD on me. My report stated that I have stenosis of bilateral MCA. Which when I looked it up it means I have abnormal narrowing of my vessel in my MCA. It stated clinical correlation is advised. (Seems legit as to why they want my blood pressure high to help expand my narrowing vessels)ā€¦but Iā€™m no doctor :joy:

I went see my PCP again and she kept pushing for me to get on blood pressure medicine bc she thinks that is why Iā€™m still having these horrible headaches. So I decided to give it try (bc who wants to deal with these headaches everyday right). I took one and not soon after I get horrible temple headaches. My blood pressure had dropped from (the normal for me) 150 range to the 130 range. I looked up the side effects and headaches are a side effect of metoprolol tartrate; but they should subside the longer I take them. A few hours later I decide to check my blood pressure and it is 112/80. I check it again a few minutes later and it is 109/76. I start to freak out bc it was dropping fast. I checked it again and it was 102/80. Now Iā€™m freaking out; my thinking is if my vessels are narrow and my blood pressure is low then Iā€™m not pushing enough blood to expand my MCA. Iā€™m trying to do my own research on my condition bc of course doctors wonā€™t explain the science behind it. :triumph: I had some fludrocortisone that I had to stop taking bc it made my BP jump up too high; so I took one of those to be safe. Iā€™m literally scared to go to sleep right now, in case it gets to low. I have 2 kids that I donā€™t want to wake up to go to the hospital. I will if I start to feel bad but every recent ER room has been the same; your coils look good just follow up with your neurologist :roll_eyes::triumph:.

Sorry to rant. I am just wondering if anyone had to deal with this or any has any advice? It will be greatly appreciated. I donā€™t have anyone to talk to who has been through what we been through. My boyfriend listens and cares about my well being; but he is just as confused as I am of what is going on.

1 Like

Laci, check with your neurosurgeon on taking metoprolol tartrate. I was on metoprolol for tachycardia for years and I was taken off of it whilst in ICU.

When taking your own BP, you canā€™t use the same arm or wrist right away. An RN explained it will give the wrong reading, you have to use the other arm. Though I cannot remember why. Itā€™s also important that you follow the directions in how you place your arm or wrist as incorrect position can muck up the reading,

Please be careful about self medicating, talk to your doctor or call your insurance carrierā€™s nurse hotline first, please maā€™am.

My PCP gave me the metoprolol tartrate even though my notes said my BP was in between ā€œnormal rangeā€ for having coils. My notes said they want my range in between 120-160. I took one and my blood pressure dropped to 98. So I quit taking it.

now, iā€™m no doctor but i was a medic in the military. keeping you prehypertensive to hypertensive mightā€™ve been for a limited time, and saying that they want it in that range doesnā€™t necessarily mean something below 120 is life threatening, because it isnā€™t. in fact, below 120/80 is ideal. optimal.

stenosis has more to do with oxygenation and the veins internal health rather than with blood flow. in fact, high blood pressure within the brain is actually what CAUSES the stenosis. ask your neurosurgeon, they will confirm.

in my opinion, if you had something to worry about due to the stenosis, you wouldā€™ve been informed. they already know youā€™ve ruptured etc and likely had complications from it. now, i have very little faith in doctors, but it would be a liability to allow somebody to leave with a dangerous condition happening in their brain-vein. stenosis is something that ā€˜canā€™ or ā€˜can lead toā€™ this or that. deep breaths actually open the veins in the brain more than blood pressure. blood pressure being ā€œhighā€ is a bad thing for brain veins. this is why high blood pressure supposedly contributes to rupture, or so they say.

after my surgery my doc wanted my blood pressure to remain between a certain variable as well while in the ICU, but that was only so it wouldnā€™t get TOO HIGH not too low.

my two cents, but get confirmation from the neurosurgeon, definitely, and relax my friend.

2 Likes

Do you know why BP goes up with increased pain? Iā€™m just curious ā€¦

anxiety, adrenaline. the body wants to be ā€˜readyā€™. itā€™s the same reason why some people experience an increase in blood pressure before they puke.

1 Like

Iā€™m certainly donā€™t know much especially about medication but I had been on 250 MG of Metropol since 2006 after surgery on my blocked right carotid artery. After I had my rupture they took me off and my PCP said ā€œIā€™m sure they didā€. I didnā€™t know why he said it or what he meant and was too :exploding_head: to ask or care. Then they wanted me on a supplemental for my blood pressure so I now take 4 blood pressure medications but it seems to be working. I had a scare a few weeks ago. I had to have cataract surgery. I went to my PCP the day before and my BP was 110/55. Then when they hooked me up for surgery it was 188/95. I was freaking. I expected it to be higher but not that higher. They started the IV and I guess they decided to get that BP down fast. That workedā€¦ it was 48/30 after the injection. Even my freaking didnā€™t bring it back up. I thought I am going to die prepping for cataract surgery. I went to twilight zone but they were talking about me the next time they saw me in there for the 2nd eye the next week. Apparently I not only sank the BP but got really sick and was hard to bring back awake but I have always been like that with anesthesia. I usually get a rash with it, too. I didnā€™t ask but I have a rash on my hand and on my leg so I think they missed it. My PCP put me on Methylprednisolone and that cleared it up but 2 days after I finished the pack itā€™s back. I am doing all I can to avoid our dermatologistā€¦ we only have oneā€¦ but I think Iā€™m going to have to give in. If youā€™re looking for cosmetic surgery or Botox, heā€™s your man but for rashes I would rather find a witch doctor.

Hey Momof2,
Many years ago I want through a bit of a trial of meds via a physician. From heart meds to psych meds to epilepsy meds and everything in between. I too queried why? It was explained to me that both epilepsy med and heart meds can influence brain messaging and signalling. In VERY laymanā€™s terms, the medications straighten out some of the messaging.

So, although some medications may be listed under a specific treatment, there can be ā€˜off-labelā€™ benefits that medicos can also prescribe for. Iā€™m still on these medications today and when I did a comparison to your ā€˜metoprolol tartrateā€™ seems its a 1/2 strength of the same thing. Itā€™s natural for our BP to fluctuate somewhat, so taking individual measurements on their own can be deceiving. This is why some drā€™s can required both a sitting and standing BP, to show a comparative range. Add to this the medication effects and it can all be rather disconcerting.

As others here have suggested, please do speak to your dr in regard to your symptoms/side effects. Sometimes it can be a real balancing act between side effects and benefits. If you are finding the side effects too much, then ask ā€˜What are my options?ā€™ there could be an alternative. I can guarantee you, side effects on these medications is common.

Merl from the Modsupport Team

1 Like

In the States, our American Heart Association has pretty much outlined how BP is taken. For the most part itā€™s sitting with the arm at chest level, all air out of the cuff which is placed an inch above the elbow. I rarely have this done properly at a doctorā€™s office. My PCPā€™s office does it better than others because of the desk that is next to the chair. The cardiologistā€™s office is the only place I routinely stood up and that was when I was able to do the treadmill, every other time was sitting or laying down. The machines have to be calibrated correctly if the office uses machines otherwise the patient has to rely on the CMA (usually) to pump it up high enough and have good hearing to hear the first indicator. Which is why you donā€™t talk to them when theyā€™re using the stethoscope and cuffšŸ˜‚. I never worry if the person taking it in whatever fashion has an odd for me reading as there are so many different variables that can be causing it. Itā€™s important to know what your BP is over a range of dates. Iā€™ve had CMAā€™s take it and get something outrageously high and the Doctor will retake it about 20-30 minutes later and itā€™s within my normal range. Fortunately Iā€™ve only had high BP twice in my life - when I had 3rd degree burns and when the Neurosurgeon ordered the Triple H therapy after rupture to counter the vasospasms. The only thing that I know will increase my BP is pain and a lot of it. Iā€™m like another member who shared they donā€™t register pain as others do. Iā€™ve had to have stitches for boo booā€™s that I didnā€™t realize I had inflicted upon myself. Having bruises is a common occurrence and I couldnā€™t tell anyone who I got it. I often wonder if the phenomena of not feeling pain like other was caused by any of the concussions Iā€™ve had and thus damages those pathways or if it was my Mom not allowing us to cry. It then falls back to the age old controversy of nature vs nurturešŸ¤Ŗ

@Mary I tried researching why beta blockers arenā€™t used and all I could find was they are generally not used but no specific reason. There is a bit of controversy with different papers that say use metoprolol which is one of the lowest to cross the Blood Brain Barrier from one article I read, but there are those that say the research isnā€™t of significant value as there wasnā€™t enough history on patients or the study was confounded or there wasnā€™t a control group used, etc. So Iā€™m still stumped. Itā€™s certainly a great question for our Neurosurgeons!