New ForestMouse 13 days after surgery

Good afternoon y’all! I go by ForestMouse here (she/her), and I’m recovering after having brain surgery to repair unruptured aneurysms: embolization and stents put in my brain via a catheter through my arm. I live in the deep pine forests of Texas and I have 3 wonderful adult children. I’ve had migraines all my life but last fall I started getting “thunderclap” headaches and daily debilitating crippling headaches. My primary care doc referred me to a neurologist and after the CT scan came clear, my neurologist ordered MRI and MRA angiogram with gadolinium contrast. The results suggested I had a 5x5.5 mm intracarotid intracerebral aneurysm, “berry” type with 2 mm neck just behind my left eye. I made the decision to have surgery. In the meantime we quadrupled the topiramate I was taking 50 mg twice a day), which was well tolerated and helped.

I took Plavix 75 mg and baby aspirin 81 mg for a week prior to surgery as advised. During surgery the surgeon found a second aneurysm that was intracarotid but extracerebral. It was 10mm x 7.5mm with a 9 mm neck also on the left side with a 360 degree twist. I cannot imagine how that was missed on the original MRA, but I’m glad they found it. Surgery lasted twice as long as expected (2 hr). They inserted a catheter up my right radial artery, conducted embolization and installed stents. I have a hard time understanding the language in my chart about this.

I spent overnight in the SICU without incident, and the CT scan showed no bleeding. I’m on Plavix for 6 months but they said it’s working well enough on its own so no need for baby aspirin for now. My follow up visit is next week. I have partial paralysis on my right side (face, hand), presumably from cuts or dings to nerves. Hopefully they will heal over time.

I see that I repeat myself sometimes and forget things at other times. I work for a nonprofit organization writing grants, manage a portfolio of projects, and conduct science outreach to diverse populations of youth. I’ve had to work but I’m doing so from home only when I feel well enough to do so. I came into work one day to work with the public during an “all hands on deck” event. While I enjoyed it, it wore me out.

I can’t complain too much but I still have pain, headaches, and get tired easily. My work deadlines give my anxiety. So getting back to work will be good. I just didn’t know what to expect. I feel guilty when I’m not working.

In time I hope to regain my vibrant previous self that I was before the headaches. I still deal with psych issues, unrelated I suppose, but still a big part of my life. I’m stable, but because of these psych issues (and an abusive now ex-husband), I had to give up my chosen career, one I enjoyed working for 12 years after training for 14 years. At least I have transferable skills, and I enjoy what I do. I tend to push myself very hard at work though. BTW, My current husband is loving and supportive.

The bottom line from my story is that it’s very good that I didn’t ignore the headaches when they changed. It’s also good I agreed to surgery, especially since a second aneurysm was found. My mother had an aneurysm but I don’t think that ruptured? She had a series of mini strokes and eventually passed from multi organ failure.

2 Likes

Welcome @ForestMouse! I moved your introduction to “General” in hopes more members will read and respond.

Intracarotid means inside the carotid artery. Here’s a description of the brain, it’s various parts and what each helps to manage: Brain Anatomy and How the Brain Works | Johns Hopkins Medicine

Write all your questions down for the next time you speak to your surgeon. You can also ask here and someone will either know right off the bat or help you to search the internet. Always good to ask your surgeon! Don’t shake your head in acknowledgement if you don’t understand what they’re saying. As far as I know, there’s not a facility that provides a book so we can refer to it.

When I’m in my portal, I can click on a word and get the definition sometimes. If it doesn’t help, I just put the word in an internet search and look it up. When I still don’t understand, I will ask the members here or send an email to my Neurosurgeon’s NP. There’s a drop down that I can specifically inquire about an image. I’m a frequent flyer with them so sometimes I say “What the heck does this mean?” Especially if it’s different than wording in other images. When Ms. Ryann responds sometimes I’ll get it and sometimes I tell her “Well that’s clear as mud.” So she puts it in more layman’s terms. Never be afraid to ask! I learned long ago the only stupid question was the one that wasn’t asked.

After my stent, I did the short course of Plavix but will presumably remain on the 81mg of aspirin for the rest of my life. It’s inconvenient, but not a problem is the way I look at it.

I just had a pop up that Texas had an earthquake, hope it didn’t shake you up to much. The ones we get in NC are nothing in comparison to the ones I grew up with in CA.

Yes ma’am nerves heal but can take an incredibly long time. I’m unsure why you would have nerves that were cut or dinged given you had an endovascular procedure. I am by no means an expert. My theory is more related to change of blood flow, but what do I know. It also could be more anesthesia based. I would definitely ask your surgeon about that!

Since your new in recovery, ask the surgeon about the amount of protein and hydration needed. I used to have to drink an enormous amount of water and Gatorade for several reason. I don’t tolerate the contrast dye so it was to help my body flush it out as well as the anesthesia. The more procedures I had, the harder it was to recuperate until my stent was put in. I was also told whilst in NSICU by the RDN to eat at least 90 gms protein. Our brains need the hydration and protein to heal, ruptured or not.

I hope other members will share their experience and insight post surgery.

And I encouraged @ForestMouse to start in the introduction category! :rofl:

@ForestMouse welcome to BAFsupport! It’s great to have you join us and it’s great to know you’ve got through your op nicely.

I have something called an AVM, which is different from an aneurysm but carries similar risks of bleeding and indeed can be operated on via open surgery, embolisation or gamma knife radiation. My brain AVM was glued up in an embolisation procedure, a bit like you.

What I’d say is that while it seems like quite an uninvasive treatment, actually everything gets upset inside with all the contrast and the solvent for the glue so it does take some time to all calm down. I had migraine aura for several weeks post op (and again after the checkup angiogram) which we attributed to the contrast material.

Very best wishes,

Richard

1 Like

Hi ForestMouse!
I have a brain aneurysm that ruptured late November 2021. It wasn’t ready to be coiled yet (docs said it had to have a “neck” to it), so I waited a little bit for surgery. I recently had surgery three weeks ago, so I am still in the early recovery stages as well. I am so sorry about the partial paralysis. I have a brother who has full paralysis from chest down due to a spinal cord injury, and I have seen him struggle emotionally with having paralysis. I really hope yours is temporary. It sounds like your job is cool! It seems so much fun and so rewarding to work for a nonprofit! I definitely understand feeling guilty by not working because I have had those feelings the past few months. Just remember your body is going through a lot right now and signs that you’re tired mean you need to rest. Don’t push yourself. Your health is more important than a job. Best wishes to your recovery.

-Laura

4 Likes

Welcome ForestMouse! I have one 5mm brain aneurysm with a stent procedure 2yrs ago. We share the same work ethics, and I too am a workaholic. As an administrator, I tried multiple time to return to work but pain and fatigue overwhelmed me. Neurosurgeon released me back to work after 2 weeks but my body/mind shut down. Currently not working and it’s hard to do basic tasks. Anxiety was the most difficult part and seeking help with a good therapist really helped. I would forget things and get confused easily. With the help of my wife and therapist, I learned to be kind to myself and rest more often. Going to see a new neurosurgeon in the Bay Area to reevaluate my situation. If possible, take as much time off work or do part-time. Our body, especially blood vessels take a long time to heal so rest as much as possible. Take care!

Ben

2 Likes

Welcome.

Sorry to hear about your problems and the issues via your aneurysm and side effects after the operation.

I had an aneurysm burst nearly 6 years ago, for which I have a platinum coil after my operation, and still live with another aneurysm on the opposite side of my brain, for which they check with an MRI every so often.

Everyones’ case and issues are different, but as personal experience, all I can suggest is to take things slowly every day on how you feel. Try to rest, and let your body recover in its own time.
Find different ways of coping, this may include being with friends that know you who you can talk to. Watching your diet, (I started a Mediterranean Diet and taking vitamin C for health, after talking to a qualified nutritionist, alternative). See who you can contact to help your individual issues, but make sure they are qualified.
Talk to your neurologist about any queries relating to worries you have. Talk to others who share your issues.
Find a way to relax yourself. This could include calming breathing exercises, meditation in the garden, in nature, listening to quiet music etc, or even just sat relaxing in a dark room whilst using breathing techniques, doing simple quizzes, puzzles, word search, or even a bit reading etc. whatever works for you. (I have tried all of the above and more, including simple Tai chi).

I know after I came out of hospital, I was laid up for a few weeks, as I allowed my body to relax after what it had been through, (I wasn’t in a fit state to get up anyway).

This may be different for you due to your working position, working in a non profit organisation, which must be hard work, but with rewarding benefits. Unfortunately, only you know what you can do each day, but don’t over do it as I originally did, (when I was up I wanted to do what I had done prior to the bleed, operation, but realised that I couldn’t, resulting in depression, and going back in my health etc).
Take your time, gently work with your body, listen to it, and let your life gradually get back as normal as you can. Not worrying.

We have all been through this, and it my seem hard, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I had headaches, lapses of memory, balance issues, joint aches, neck issues, anxiety, as well as sensitivity to specific lights, noises, pitches and sometimes now specific vibrations, frequencies as well as other issues.

It may at the time not seem easy, but we have all been through it, and survived.
You will find your own individual way. Take care.

1 Like

Thank you, @Survivor2,
I’m in a mental state of depression right now and your message today really helped. I haven’t been on this site for a week. It seems people expect me to be back to normal, that the surgery magically cured my headaches….and for me, I must hide any confusion or brain fog. I can’t appear weak or show any loss of cognitive ability. My job depends on my brain. Odd thing I noticed, and this speaks to the scientist in me: I type a lot for the grant writing, and I’ve typed quite a few words backwards or dyslexic since the surgery. I’ve even said words backwards/dyslexic whatever it’s called. I don’t hear then or read them that way. Curious.

I am overly grateful to my employer who gives me much flexibility in working from home. I did go to the office several times and it was great, except for a long noisy staff meeting. Then I got to do outreach/teach and it was delightful. The clients loved it and so did I. But I feel guilty every time I rest. I have a one million dollar grant due this month and 14 others that I manage. Everything you said is good advice. I know I’m overdoing it. I had a near breakdown last night. Thanks again.

1 Like

You might want to reach out to a Speech therapist to help with the dyslexia. Also make sure your surgeon knows what’s going on.

Best of luck

1 Like

Welcome Forestmouse, OMG you only just had your Brain Surgery, so please give yourself to rest and heal. This is our Brain you know. I had Hand, wrist and thumb surgery around that Brian horror time, and that alone took long=long time to hear, you know wrap shoulder sling, hard casting, Physical Therapy, etc…but
My Aneurysms, one large 18mm 9mm wide, behind my R-eye wreaked my vision. When it bulged (did not burst) the pain in my eye and head, felt like someone hit me there with a baseball bat. I never had headaches, but this was unbearable. Luckly after much ado, I was sent by ambulance to MGH in Boston and Dr.A.Patel was on call and lucky me got one of the best. We decided on Flow Diverters to fix and a year later fixed the smaller Aneurysm by my L-Ear.
Had problems with Aspirin & Plavsic, so was able to stop after a time with Dr. approval.
Long story short, I know you want to get back in the swing of things, but although everyone is different, We Survived something many do not, so hope you will take the time to educate yourself on your condition and let yourself heal in its own time. Oh forgot, lived in Killeen, Texas for several years when first started our family, we enjoyed many fun times in this state. Best Wishes

2 Likes

Thank you @starbirder!

I’ve lived in many different parts of Texas over my lifetime. I like the hill country but like my name says, I’m in the forests now. I used to pass by Killeen all the time traversing I35.

My nonprofit really depends on me, but they’ve been accommodating. However, I’m writing the biggest most complicated (and out of my area of expertise) grant yet for them. $1.5 million total ask due this week.

I reached another mental block today. I worked on it yesterday for 7.5 hours, but I just couldn’t manage it today. My mind is unpredictable like that these days. It used to be click click click rapid firing of neurons. It’s depressing at best. I decided to rest and wait until I could “feel” it again, if that makes sense.

I know I’m rambling. Thanks for listening!

Don’t forget to stay hydrated whilst working, it may help. Also see how much protein you should be consuming daily, my minimum was always 90gm even after a simple angiogram,

1 Like

Thank you, I will. I drink a lot of water. I’ll work on the protein but I’ll have to balance that with fresh fruits and vegetables. The other thing is that I already have psych issues (bipolar, cPTSD, anxiety, depression), so finding times when my mind is in the groove doesn’t follow a pattern. That gives me terrible feelings of guilt. I have a therapist for that. Yet somehow my career has been quite successful. This will probably be a blip in hindsight.

Trying to get the protein when I’m a fruit and vegetable lover as well can be difficult. I always used protein drinks and bars to cover the 90 and everything over is icing on the cake! Edamame and nuts are are a decent source as well. Hopefully you have learned some type of deep breathing exercises, don’t forget to practice them all the time.

I agree with Moltroub about the speech therapist. I had terrible fatigue, breathing issues, etc. after surgery. The one thing that bothered me the most was the brain fog, memory problems and confusion. My MD kept putting me off with “I am getting older”. She finally agreed to send me to a neuropsychologist and I was diagnosed with Neuro-Cognitive Disorder which allowed me to see a speech therapist. I went for 7 months and improved tremendously. I highly recommend it!

1 Like