Need advice to have surgery or not - dilichoestacia aneurysm

I have a dilated and tortuous basilar artery (dolichoestascia) with a 4x2 saccular component aneurysm with bulges on the aneurysm. Everyone has told me to enjoy each day as there is nothing they can do for me including Barrows. I was referred to a neurosurgeon that said he could clip with a 5 percent risk. I received a second opinion and was told don’t do it. You will be incapacitated if you do it. I’m so confused and heartbroken. Any advice on Any drs I could receive a third opinion from? I’m 45 and a single mom. Thank you.

2 Likes

Don’t do anything.

Enjoy your life and try not to worry about it.

I see you are in Arizona. I am in Illinois so I don’t know if that will help unless you are willing to travel? Have you discussed with your neurosurgeon about doing a vessel wall test to see if the walls are weak which can give them an estimation of rupture risk?
I understand your worry as you not only have yourself to think about but you are a mom and there are other people involved relying on you to stay alive. I will keep you in my prayers and try to think good positive thoughts that a resolution will be found. Hugs

1 Like

Thank you… I’ve never heard of a vessel test. I will look into it. They type I have is a 2 percent rupture risk per year. Thank you for responding.

See if you can arrange to have your information sent to Dr. Howard Riina at NYU Langone Hospital in New York City. He was the only surgeon that offered me an option that was not recommended by four other surgeons, including Barrows. My case was completely different, but complicated nevertheless-I also felt helpless. He does both endovascular and craniotomy procedures. He is also on the board of the Lisa Colagrossi foundation. I am almost 4 years out,and I’m due to see him in August for my check up. I feel you could get an honest opinion from him.

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate your time and information.

Nik, Travel is a huge thing, but I would recommend Dr. Stacey Wolfe at Wake Forest Baptist Health in Winston Salem NC. I have a tortuous artery, it means squiggly. I also have a multi lobed aneurysm. I’m guessing that’s what they mean by the bulges on the aneurysm. Dr. Wolfe is an excellent surgeon, doesn’t pull punches but is kind and considerate at the same time. She also happens to be an expert on AVMs so the squiggly arteries are right up her alley! You might want to call and ask if she will give a third opinion. I believe if she thinks it’s better for you to watch and wait, she will tell you. Either way, enjoy your life and your children, give hugs daily.

Oh my goodness you do too? It’s so hard to find anyone that has this. Are you watching and waiting? Where is yours if you don’t mind saying? I will check her out. Thank you so much. Is yours at a 2 percent rupture rate (double regular Annie’s)?

Sorry I haven’t replied earlier. Think of us as being the rare among the rare, there’s not much information or research, unfortunately. I ruptured, it was on the LICA bifurcation, Left Internal Carotid Artery where it splits. I have had two subsequent coilings because those daughter sacs, IMHO, suck the coils in.

The day after I ruptured, I was coiled. The interesting thing is Dr. Wolfe went to TX to give a talk on multi-lobed aneurysms at a big conference. When she came back, apparently there was a gentleman with the same type of aneurysm.

I didn’t know about brain aneurysms before I ruptured. One of the members is really into percentages of rupture. Frankly I don’t buy into the statistics, I believe they’re skewed. Oh and despite the statistical percentage, guess I was in that low percentage. Also I believe the ones who say they don’t know when or why one will rupture.