Mri scans after aneurysm clipping

The clip is fine for MRI scans I have had one and I have got two of those clips xxx

Hi Carol

Yes the responses here have been extremely helpful for us to make an informed decision. I shall let you know if or when he has the MRI.

My partner like you also has leg pain due to his back problem; best of luck to you Carol.

Dilys

Many thanks Jessica for posting your experience of the MRI scan and good to hear you are fine after it. My partner's clipping was on the MCA. Hope you are recovering well after your 'clipping'

regards

Dilys

Hi Dilys,

How are you doing? Did your partner manage to go through the MRI for his back pain eventually and find out the root cause of his pain? Did he experience any additional pain on his back & his leg after doing the MRI?

Hope he is getting better by now. All the best…cheers

B.Rgds, Daniel

Hi Daniel

No, my partner has not had an MRI yet. He was scheduled to have the MRI at an orthopedic hospital but for safety reasons decided the best way forward was to have the MRI done at the hospital for neurology where my partner successfully had his aneurysm clipped. My partner is waiting on an appointment for MRI. In the meantime the neurosurgeon who performed my partner's clipping has put in writing and I quote 'all aneurysm clips used at our hospital since 1997 are MRI compatible/safe. They are made of titanium'.

We also received in writing from an SpR in neurosurgery at the same hosptal and I quote ' we have a record on your operative note of the manufacturer of your aneurysm clip. It is a sugita aneurysm clip and the model number is 07-940-14. This clip is entirely safe and MRI compatible'.

I believe it is important to know the above info. for MRI compatibility. I hope this info. helps your wife. If there is anything else you want to know please do not hesitate to get back to me.

my very best wishes to you both

Dilys

Dilys,

I'm glad this thread resurfaced. If you haven't heard about the new information regarding back pain it would be important for you and your partner to investigate with a Doctor before any back surgery.

New research has identified a link with back pain and bacterial infection in the spinal bones. The bacteria normally flourishes around our teeth and gums. It is thought to be introduced in the blood stream by brushing in a inflamed area. Most patients have had their back pain reduced or eliminated by a 90 day course of antibiotics. I'd certainly discuss this with a Doctor and if necessary get a second opinion. Failed back surgeries are certainly a pain. In a search engine, search the term "link between bacteria and back pain".

Ed, Good to hear from you and many, many thanks for your valuable advise.

We read about this breakthrough re: link between bacteria and back pain some 2 weeks ago. We totally agree with you that we should investigate this option with the Doctor and if necessary get a second opinion before going down the MRI and back surgery route which we were never 100% happy with. My partner did undergo an Xstop-spacer procdeure in March 2012 but it made no difference whatsoever. I presume that this bacteria which normally flourishes around our teeth and gums; a sample from this area could be taken or would it be a blood test or fluid taken from the back area itself to identify if this bacteria is present?

many thanks again to you Ed for guiding us in the right direction.

Dilys

Hi Daniel

Since my reply to you yesterday, I received a very interesting and valuable post from a member of this forum which involves new information regarding back pain and it would be important for you and your wife to investigate with a Doctor before going down the MRI route.

New research has identified a link with back pain and bacterial infection in the spinal bones. The bacteria normally flourishes around our teeth and gums. It is thought to be introduced in the blood stream by brushing in a inflamed area. Most patients have had their back pain reduced or eliminated by a 90 day course of antibiotics. I'd certainly discuss this with a Doctor and if necessary get a second opinion. In a search engine, search the term "link between bacteria and back pain" and it will explain all.

regards

Dilys

Hi Dilys, Ed,

Thanks for both your information and suggestion. I did some reading and research on the bacteria which may be linked to chronic back pain and amazed by this huge breakthrough recently by British and Danish researchers. Due to her worsening pain, we visited the neurologist’s clinic today and discussed about this with her doctor as well. Apparently my wife’s cervical and back pain are mostly localized on her left side, so it’s likely to be linked to her previous brain injury or clipping on her right temporal. Her aneurysm is also a result of brain lesions from infective endocarditis. She was administered with 6 weeks of antibiotics through IV but apparently that did not help.

Her current best option to further diagnose the pain would be to perform an MRI before proposing any treatment. Blood test will be also taken to check for any possible infection. Treatment options could include Botox injection to reduce the pain since oral medications can’t seem to work for her so far. She has been taking Benzos, Opiates, NSAIDs, lyrica, tegretol (for her seizure) & some anti-depressants all this while but nothing helps.

After confirming from her previous neurosurgeon about the clip model and heeding the advice from you guys and the clip manufacturer’s confirmation, we decide to proceed with the MRI screening which was done immediately after today’s consultation!

She went through the MRI successfully and was done in 2 long hours as it has to cover her entire left side, from her brain through her cervical area all the way to her lumbar. Good grief, the MRI room was cold!

We will be seeing the doctor again to review her MRI results tomorrow. Fingers crossed…

Rgds, Daniel

Hi Daniel

So very, very pleased to hear that your wife went through the MRI successfully! that is really good news and thank you for taking the time in letting me know especially since you are going through such a trying time, it is appreciated. Hope you have warmed up after the cold MRI room! Two hours!

My partner, like your wife, has tried all the oral medications but they have not worked for him either. Many of these oral medications also made my partner feel really bad, sleeping all the time and loss of appetite.

Wishing you all the best on the review of her MRI results. If you are able, keep us posted ..........

best wishes to you both

Dilys

This thread was certainly interesting and thought stimulating for me. I can't have MRI's anyhow due to cobalt/chromium hips, but I somehow hadn't thought about keeping tabs on the potential for my clip deteriorating. And regarding back pain/leg pain. I know it is hard to find a worthwhile chiropractor, but I would certainly want to give that sort of non-invasive treatment a go before opting for surgery. I also lucked into a physical therapist who taught me a self adjustment move that took care of my thigh pain.

Troy...

Finding a chiropractor is no diff than finding a doc...second opinions...or for one we sense a comfort in their diagnosis, explanations...as well as results... So easy to find a chiro...looking for a doc is termed "shopping"...well...there are certainly no sales to draw shopping...

I would definitely suggest searching for "activator" (light touch) chiropractic...it is so noninvasive...my personal choice/opinion...worth far more than $million$ in pain pills...

I also believe in, so comfortable with, acupuncture...just my personal choice/grand results...

never any reactions, contraindications...etc...

Regarding MRI/As...there is continued info on the contrast dye...brand Gadavist...that can be researched...

Prayers for best decision / findings / results..

Pat