MRI/MRA with sedation

Has anyone had an MRI/MRA with intravenous sedation? Are you out completely knocked out? Also, does an MRI require that you be able to respond to oral cues of some sort?

I am extremely claustrophobic. After being unable to get myself in an MRI machine even with an oral sedative (a noisy, living coffin, in my opinion), an interventional neuroradiologist told me that I could have the test with IV sedation.

I feel uncomfortable that I need such “drastic” measures just to take an MRI/MRA, but after being told that the test would be at least an hour, I think that anything that will enable me to get the test is probably okay.

Does anyone have experience to share?

I recently had an MRI/MRA but no sedation. I was completely awake although I did doze off a few times, they provided a playlist of music of my choice (Today’s R&B). I agree it is like a living coffin. They pushed me in and I immediately got emotional and asked to be pulled out. I thought about the fact they were confirming my unruptured Annie (4mm) and if I didn’t survive this is what it would be like entombed. The panic lasted about 30 seconds and I said “ok, let’s do this”. It was a realization for me that I am going to embrace this and work with my medical team and not let Annie get the best of me. :joy: My scan in the chamber was 1.5 hours and I prayed and the music allowed me to relax. I was glad it was over so I could eat because I was on NPO (nothing by mouth).:rofl: I have my consult next week with the Neurosurgeon. I am confident everything will work out. Just breath and relax. They placed wedgie pillows under my legs to allow me to relax in a more natural position and gave me a squeeze ball to be used for “emergencies only”. Make sure to use the bathroom beforehand. Allow them to play music you enjoy. You will be fine!

1 Like

Personally, if it were me…I’d get the sedation if the closeness gets to you. The only side-affects are severe drowsiness for 6-8 hours, afterwards.
It’s extremely difficult because of my lower back to stay “stock-still”, like they need you to be. I managed, but I can tell you, had they offered me sedation…I would’ve JUMPED on it!

Here in Ontario, Canada, ear plugs are provided. I have found that having my eyes covered helps too. That way I can open my eyes and not see how I am “entombed” so to speak. This helps me a lot and I am having an MRI/MRA every three months now to determine when I’ll be having more coils in my annie.