Loss of smell post surgery

As others mentioned…my nose runs when I eat…just the left side. But, then, my mother had this problem and never had aneurysms…she was checked as they suggested all close relatives have MRI…thinking the annie could be hereditary. As for smell.someone else mentioned weird smells. My smell and taste was very minimal at first…better now. But since the procedure, I also smell weird things at times…could be that my sense of smell is just very acute at those times? There is so much going on in our heads…it’s no wonder lines get crossed…or one thing effects another. I hope with time you can again regain smell.

Aneurysms affect random parts of the brain. During my ruptured aneurysm, I list feeling on the right side of my body and it slowly tried to come back as much as it could. I know there are a lot of sight,taste, speech, and memory issues so smelling is probably just another side effect.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/loss-of-smell/basics/causes/sym-20050804

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/03/100324113418.htm

Hope you are doing well!

Hi Mary...I have seen others who have lost their sense of smell...and we had a women last week who has lost her sense of taste...how awful...do you think in time this can change and can Doctors give you any medical advice? Gotcha in my Thoughts ~ Colleen

Thank you, Deb.

Linda

I had my brain aneurysm in 2005. My sense of smell was gone for about two years but gradually came back. I still have days when I can't smell but now just take it in stride. Good luck!

My aneurysm was clipped in 2004. I've lost a good percentage of my sense of smell. Sometimes I can't smell anything at all, other times when I do smell things, I know they must be strong for me to smell them at all. For many years I had what I called "phantom smells". I smelled things that weren't there. I don't get them that often now.

Hi my anyerusum bust n i had it coiled in 2011 i can only smell really strong smells x

My aneurysm was in June 2014 and I’ve experienced the OPPOSITE. I can smell EVERYTHING! I feel like a bloodhound when I go outside and during my first trip to Walmart a few weeks ago, I nearly passed out from the plastic and chemical smells and had to leave after 2 minutes.

No I have had hearing changes

I am five years post first ruptured, and almost 1 year for the second. Because we are dealing with the brain, I think it takes a long time to regain your senses, and strength. After a few years recovering, I learned I am not getting any worse or better. It is what it is. My sense of smell, direction is not as sharp, but considering the trauma we go through…I can take that any day. Be well, and stay patient with yourself.

I had my surgery 3 years ago, I had a bleed and have a clip behind my right eye. I still cannot work. Has anyone else have issues with going back to work?

Hi Mary

I too had 4 of them clipped 4 years ago and I had roughly 50% reduction in my sense of smell, it has improved over the years, so I am hopeful you will have a recovery of sorts.

Best of luck.

-Sarah

I had an aneurysm that burst and bled and I almost died. that was in 2010. After I one month in the hospital and plenty of rest at home. I thought I would TRY to work. I have big time memory problems and could not remember the new things they were teaching me about the job. It did not work out. I went back to the doctor and he said I have short term cognizant skill problems, or in other words a sort of amnesia. I can tell you what I did in 1968, but can't tell you what I had for breakfast yesterday......its so weird. I'm just lucky to be alive!

I had a opthalmic aneurysm on right side. They wrapped mine, as clipping would’ve compromised my vision. This was 2001. I have not worked since. My short term memory was affected, I can remember my past, but I forget things within minutes. Very frustrating. I have some cognitive issues. I also had a small stroke during coiling, which failed. Had the crainiotomy to repair my aneurysm. I still have headaches as well. I think everyone is different in regard to if you can work. I wish you well. God Bless

My father had a SAH and that happens to him all the time. He always needs tissues close by.

My sense of smell has increased as well along with my hearing. It is quite strange because they say you lose these as you age and mine has only gotten stronger. I feel you @Kimberly Adams.

No I can still smell.

I had hd onyx with a stent and tons of issues for bilateral carotid aneurysms. Double vision for months, then migraines for 3 years. TONS of meds, now I am having seizures multiple times a day and have a mri this afternoon. Not sure what’s next and pretty scared.

I lost my sense of smell too. I'm so thankful for this site. Now I don't feel so alone. My passion was cooking and the loss of my sense of smell has greatly affected that. Also I miss being able to smell my perfume or to smell the roses...yea..pun intended ; )

Wow, miki… Hang in there. I had grand mal seizures before…am on phenobarb for life…but it works. I hope they find what works for you… Let us know how it goes… Maybe you could śtart a new page…away from the smell issue.