Just diagnosed with an unruptured aneurysm

Thank you Thomasina for your support. Your story is reassuring.

Thomasina Tijerina said:

Hello Joanne,

You found the right spot for support! My life has not changed negatively. If anything, it changed positively. I was able to resume my normal physical activities. I lift weights, do various forms of cardio, garden, ect. I had to give myself time to heal before I was able to resume normal activities, but that was just a few weeks. The first coiling gave me an awful headache immediately following the procedure, but the ICU nurses were on top of it. Once it settled down (while still in ICU), I rarely had/have headaches. I was only in the hospital a few days post coiling. I would have been able to leave sooner, but the headache caused some concern. I still get dizzy, disoriented, but that’s most likely due to my migraine/seizure disorder.

I did become even more aware of my body. I try to eat only healthy foods - eliminated all forms of toxic food. I eat nothing from a can. I don’t USUALLY eat fried food, white flour, many starches, corn, eggs, wheat, diary, or yeast. Eggs, wheat, diary and all forms of yeast I don’t eat because of allergies. I have enough health problems without adding to them because my taste buds want to be selfishly satisfied.

It’s natural to be nervous. It’s a scary diagnosis. However, statistics are on your side. Think positive and try not to worry. You might consider continuing to check into your dizziness. It turns out that my dizziness, disorientation, spaced-out, spazing ‘episodes’ are caused by a completely different problem - the migraine/seizure problem. I thought they were related to my aneurysm, too.

I wish you a happy day filled with enormous calm and belly laughs!
Thomasina

Joanne Cirincione said:
Hi Thomasina

My name is Joanne. I was diagnosed with an 8mm unruptured brain aneurysm about a month ago. The 3 doctors I saw all recommended the coiling procedure you had done. I’m scheduled to have it done the beginning of July, needless to say I’m terrified. I had no symptoms just mild vertigo. My internist recommended an MRI to rule out a brain tumor. I was told 95 % of the time vertigo is due to harmless inner ear issue and 5% a brain tumor. Luckily I didn’t have a tumor but they found the aneurysm. They all say it has nothing to do with my symptoms. I guess I wanted to know how your life has changed after having the coiling. Is your quality of life the same? Do you feel different or have any physical problems after having the procedure? Thanks so much for your help.

Thomasina Tijerina said:
Hello,
I had the coiling procedure and can’t tell you the medical reasons why they start in your groin, but it seems to be the common point for all arterial procedures in the heart or brain. They will be going through your neck, but they start in the groin. I’ve had more than one coiling and angiogram so they have used both the left and the right femoral arteries. Coiling was the least invasive procedure, in my opinion. I opted for it because it had a shorter recovery time. I have no idea how long I had had my aneurysm before it was discovered, but I do know that I had at least one ‘headache of a lifetime’ and NEVER WANT THAT PAIN AGAIN. For me, that was the reason to treat mine. FEAR of reliving the excruciating pain was my motivator!

I wish you the best in your decision. Trust in yourself and your intuition - you will do what’s best for you! Most of all, try not to worry and add more stress to your life. Have a happy Monday.

Thomasina

Hey Guys: Sounds like a lot of people are going through the same thing I am. I just found out (from an unrelated MRI) about the aneurysm a couple of weeks ago. I have an appointment with a neurologist in a couple of weeks. It’s small (2mm), I don’t have any symptoms that I notice, and everyone says that it will just be monitored. Here are my questions (for now).

• I’ve heard that MRI’s sometimes misdiagnose and that a CAT scan is a better tool. Is it possible that I don’t have an aneurysm? (I know, I am still in the denial stage but I had to ask)

-Should I restrict any physical activity? Like, strenuous hiking, biking, etc? Sometimes when I exert myself or get mad I can feel blood pounding in my head. Is this a bad thing? Should I try to remain calm as much as possible?

-What about flying or going to high altitudes. What about scuba diving?

-Do aneurysms ever heal themselves? Or if not, what should I do to keep it small?

-What about insurance? Is this considered a pre-existing condition? Will I be difficult to insure if I change jobs?

-If the aneurysm ruptures is that really going to kill me? Can it not just heal itself inside my head? How will I know if it ruptures? Given all this, should I try to always be 30 minutes from a hospital?

-Oh, this is kind of technical but the hospital gave me a copy of my MRI on a CD. What software is available to view the files? I tried loading it up on my windows XP but it said something about the “bits” being too large. I think the software on the CD was designed for a windows NT system. Anyone have ideas? I would love to have a picture of my head and be able to see the little sucker.

Perhaps a lot of random questions but I guess that’s why we all are here? Thanks in advance.

-R

Hi, there,
I had the same aneurym when I was travelling along this February. They took a good look at it, and decided to go ahead. I had two teams to do it, and both said the same thing. They rushed ahead and got it done, but in about three visits I had three strokes and they went back in and did some more. The point is that if they feel there’s not any reason for waiting, then they don’t, and if they do then you must do it.

It’s possible they’ve found one. The’ll need to have another look.

You don’t really need to hold anything off until they others come in.

You likely won’t know anything until the doctors have decided. First they’ll have a focus group and decide. Most likely with a 6mm they’ll wait - but if they decide to go with it, it’ll be because they’ve decided.

I don’t know what works to look at your works, sorry.

Laurie

Headbomb said:

Hey Guys: Sounds like a lot of people are going through the same thing I am. I just found out (from an unrelated MRI) about the aneurysm a couple of weeks ago. I have an appointment with a neurologist in a couple of weeks. It’s small (2mm), I don’t have any symptoms that I notice, and everyone says that it will just be monitored. Here are my questions (for now).

• I’ve heard that MRI’s sometimes misdiagnose and that a CAT scan is a better tool. Is it possible that I don’t have an aneurysm? (I know, I am still in the denial stage but I had to ask)

-Should I restrict any physical activity? Like, strenuous hiking, biking, etc? Sometimes when I exert myself or get mad I can feel blood pounding in my head. Is this a bad thing? Should I try to remain calm as much as possible?

-Do aneurysms ever heal themselves? Or if not, what should I do to keep it small?

-What about insurance? Is this considered a pre-existing condition? Will I be difficult to insure if I change jobs?

-If the aneurysm ruptures is that really going to kill me? Can it not just heal itself inside my head? How will I know if it ruptures? Given all this, should I try to always be 30 minutes from a hospital?

-Oh, this is kind of technical but the hospital gave me a copy of my MRI on a CD. What software is available to view the files? I tried loading it up on my windows XP but it said something about the “bits” being too large. I think the software on the CD was designed for a windows NT system. Anyone have ideas? I would love to have a picture of my head and be able to see the little sucker.

Perhaps a lot of random questions but I guess that’s why we all are here? Thanks in advance.

-R

Good day to you Headbomb! You know your chosen screen names says a lot about how you must be feeling right now. You had quite a few questions and I won’t try to respond to all. There’re many people here who can chime in with their experience to address your questions better than I.

From what I have read many on this forum had their aneurysms discovered by MRI. A CAT scan is useful in some instances, but don’t be surprised if you have to do both and then have an angiogram. The angiogram is where they actually look at the vessels in your head much closer.

Working out - I was told (only after my surgery) that I shouldn’t do anything that would cause me to put extra pressure in my head. That didn’t really make sense to me so I asked for examples of that meant. Here are the examples I can remember:
Don’t strain when using the bathroom - the kind of straining that you would have to do if you were constipated will put extra pressure on the vessels in your head.
Don’t strain when lifting weight/working out - if you have to grit your teeth, grunt really loudly, and hold your breath to get the weight up - that’s probably too much weight and you should lighten your weight until you can lift multiple times without that type of pressure on the head.

I would venture to say that this is considered a pre-existing condition. I, for one, am glad that the limitation of pre-existing conditions will soon not keep us from being insured.

I don’t know about aneurysms healing themselves. I haven’t heard of one shrinking. It’s like a bad tire that develops a bulging bubble. Once that bubble develops the rubber is never going to shrink back to original size. However, miracles do happen and if you experience one I will appreciate it with you!

From what I’ve read, there’s a 50/50 chance of survival if it ruptures. If you read this site, you’ll find many survivors of ruptured aneurysms. On the other hand, you can find relatives of those who didn’t survive a rupture in most social/work circles. The people who are/were most afraid for me after my diagnosis were those who had relatives that passed due to a rupture.

If it ruptures you will know! I only had a slight bleed before diagnosis and the pain was the worst in my entire life. It’s like your head is exploding. If you don’t pass out, the pain is so bad you’ll want to pass out or die! You’ll know if it ruptures!

When I got my MRI files on CD it opened in Windows Media Player.

Please keep reading here and keep asking questions. Someone here, I’m sure, will respond with their experience. As you read, you will find many similarities. You will also know you have your own subtle differences as we are all built from the same framework, but each of our bodily structures have been tweaked by our genetics and life experiences.

Most importantly, stay positive. If there is anything you can do, or were doing, to positively or negatively influence the development of your aneurysm now you can start to address it because now you know you have one.

Happy day to you. Good questions!

Thomasina

Headbomb said:

- I’ve heard that MRI’s sometimes misdiagnose and that a CAT scan is a better tool. Is it possible that I don’t have an aneurysm? (I know, I am still in the denial stage but I had to ask)

-R

Thanks for this very thorough and thoughtful response. Truthfully, I am still processing as I don’t have complete information until I talk to the Neurologist. For now, I am cleaning up my diet and exercising but more in an endurance mode (long bicycle rides on fairly flat terrain) rather than a high intensity mode.

And for those who care, Headbomb = Rob

Best,
R

Thomasina Tijerina said:

Good day to you Headbomb! You know your chosen screen names says a lot about how you must be feeling right now. You had quite a few questions and I won’t try to respond to all. There’re many people here who can chime in with their experience to address your questions better than I.

From what I have read many on this forum had their aneurysms discovered by MRI. A CAT scan is useful in some instances, but don’t be surprised if you have to do both and then have an angiogram. The angiogram is where they actually look at the vessels in your head much closer.

Working out - I was told (only after my surgery) that I shouldn’t do anything that would cause me to put extra pressure in my head. That didn’t really make sense to me so I asked for examples of that meant. Here are the examples I can remember:

Don’t strain when using the bathroom - the kind of straining that you would have to do if you were constipated will put extra pressure on the vessels in your head.

Don’t strain when lifting weight/working out - if you have to grit your teeth, grunt really loudly, and hold your breath to get the weight up - that’s probably too much weight and you should lighten your weight until you can lift multiple times without that type of pressure on the head.

I would venture to say that this is considered a pre-existing condition. I, for one, am glad that the limitation of pre-existing conditions will soon not keep us from being insured.

I don’t know about aneurysms healing themselves. I haven’t heard of one shrinking. It’s like a bad tire that develops a bulging bubble. Once that bubble develops the rubber is never going to shrink back to original size. However, miracles do happen and if you experience one I will appreciate it with you!

From what I’ve read, there’s a 50/50 chance of survival if it ruptures. If you read this site, you’ll find many survivors of ruptured aneurysms. On the other hand, you can find relatives of those who didn’t survive a rupture in most social/work circles. The people who are/were most afraid for me after my diagnosis were those who had relatives that passed due to a rupture.

If it ruptures you will know! I only had a slight bleed before diagnosis and the pain was the worst in my entire life. It’s like your head is exploding. If you don’t pass out, the pain is so bad you’ll want to pass out or die! You’ll know if it ruptures!

When I got my MRI files on CD it opened in Windows Media Player.

Please keep reading here and keep asking questions. Someone here, I’m sure, will respond with their experience. As you read, you will find many similarities. You will also know you have your own subtle differences as we are all built from the same framework, but each of our bodily structures have been tweaked by our genetics and life experiences.

Most importantly, stay positive. If there is anything you can do, or were doing, to positively or negatively influence the development of your aneurysm now you can start to address it because now you know you have one.

Happy day to you. Good questions!

Thomasina

Headbomb said:

- I’ve heard that MRI’s sometimes misdiagnose and that a CAT scan is a better tool. Is it possible that I don’t have an aneurysm? (I know, I am still in the denial stage but I had to ask)

-R

Hi Laurie: Sounds like you have been through a lot. Thanks for sharing. I will be keeping you guys posted and also reading about how your situations transpire.

-R

Laurie Campbell said:

Hi, there,
I had the same aneurym when I was travelling along this February. They took a good look at it, and decided to go ahead. I had two teams to do it, and both said the same thing. They rushed ahead and got it done, but in about three visits I had three strokes and they went back in and did some more. The point is that if they feel there’s not any reason for waiting, then they don’t, and if they do then you must do it.

It’s possible they’ve found one. The’ll need to have another look.

You don’t really need to hold anything off until they others come in.

You likely won’t know anything until the doctors have decided. First they’ll have a focus group and decide. Most likely with a 6mm they’ll wait - but if they decide to go with it, it’ll be because they’ve decided.

I don’t know what works to look at your works, sorry.

Laurie

Headbomb said:

-R

They start out in the femoral artery and then work their way up the vascular system until they reach the brain so they do go through your neck.

Hi Sharon,
I had a ruptured aneurysm in 2005 and recently was diagnosed with one this month. I am having this coiled because of my history. Many people walk around with aneurysms and don’t even know that they have one until it is too late. You know about yours and have an opportunity to fix it. I have never had a coil done but will find out on Monday what it is all about. If you have any questions let me know. Take Care.

I’ll be thinking of you all day Monday.
Laurie

Sherri Preston said:

Hi Sharon,
I had a ruptured aneurysm in 2005 and recently was diagnosed with one this month. I am having this coiled because of my history. Many people walk around with aneurysms and don’t even know that they have one until it is too late. You know about yours and have an opportunity to fix it. I have never had a coil done but will find out on Monday what it is all about. If you have any questions let me know. Take Care.

Sherri - Please, let us know how it went as soon as you feel able. I’m brand new to this site but I’m thinking of you.

Sherri Preston said:

Hi Sharon,

Hi Rick,

Very sad to say that the coil did not work. I now have to decide if I want the clip or the nothing at all. I am home now and not happy about it. :slight_smile: Everything happens for a reason, time will tell what it is. Thanks for asking. Take care. GOD Bless!

Rick Schroeder said:

Sherri - Please, let us know how it went as soon as you feel able. I’m brand new to this site but I’m thinking of you.

Sherri Preston said:
Hi Sharon,

Hi Sharon and everyone,

I was also just diagnosed with an unruptured aneurysm behind my left eye. After reading these posts, it seems most are opting for the coiling - a staff person at my Dr’s office suggested the clipping might be a better choice for me because, she said, the results were more permanent - she qualified this saying because of my age (53) I will probably live a long time and the coils might leak. Did anyone else receive or consider clipping? The thought of having a craniotomy is scary - and it seems very risky, too.

I am interested in reading that some are choosing to live with the aneurysm and just keep monitoring it.

Any replies will be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Sharon,

I had a very similar situation, only my aneurysm was behind the right eye and it was a fusiform so coiling was not an option. I found out about my aneurysm in October 2004. At the time is was 4x6mm. I took a wait and see approach. I had an angiogram in Jan. 2005 and MRA’s every year to see if there was any growth or shape change and up until this year there had not been any change. The MRA I got in Feb. 2010 showed the aneurysm had grown significantly. The subsequent angio in March 2010 confirmed the growth and I had surgery on June 10th. My attitude when diagnosed was, as long as the aneurysm does not change, I do nothing. If it does change, I have some serious decisions to make. Only you can decide what is best. Personally, I see no harm in the “wait and see” approach as long as you know what signs to look for in case of leakage and are diligent about monitoring the aneurysm.

Good Luck.

WOW…so many people here sound just like me, unbelievable… I have been sitting here staring at my PC, thinking IT will give me the answer…LOL…not funny, but this is making crazy. To do, or not to do. My surgery is scheduled for two weeks fr today, Monday, the 13th and I am very, very scared. I am deciding whether or not to back out of it…I just don’t know what to do. It is 3mm…the docs said IF it ruptured the outcome would NOT be good. Some articles from Mayo say wait and see and some say it is all a very personal decision…I just wish at times they didn’t find it at all. It was incidental…I was being tested for something else…yes a craniotomy is very frightening. I keep thinking what if I make the WRONG decision and have residual side effects for life. I have NO symptoms now…or what if I make the WRONG decision and die, or left a vegetable…it sits between my two connecting, communicating arteries…so I just don’t have a blk and white, clear cut answer…I understand how you feel…if I could have it coiled I would, because of its size. But I don’t have that choice…

Have courage - a craniotomy sounds huge, but, in fact, there’s a barely noticeable scar that your hair soon covers, and no side effects. The side effects come when one bursts.

Sharon, I am in the same boat. I was diagnosed in August 2010. Mine is a 5mm in the same place as yours. I was wondering why they said yours was 5x6. Most articles I read only use one number. I am also afraid of making the wrong decision. I thought since they found yours in Feb. that you may have had your6 month recheck already. I was curious if it had grown any and if they are still just watching it. I know what hell you must have gone through because I have been like that since Aug. I hope we are making the right decision. What helped you decide beside the risk factor. Thanks Mary

Hi my name is Jill, and I just joined this site today because I have been feeling like a ticking time bomb since I was diagnosed in March this year. I had the worst headache of my life couldn't even put my head on a pillow and couldn't move, I went to the hospital where they performed a spinal tap to check for meningitis, while that was negative they found blood in the tap and sent me for an MRA which showed the annie. They then sent me to a neurosurgeon who sent me for a ct scan to get a better look at it. I have a 2mm saccular aneurysm in the cavernous segment of the right internal carotid artery (wherever that is? I was told its in the sinus area) I was told by the Dr that he wanted to just monitor it. He said if it were to rupture it most likely wouldn't kill me although it would however affect all of the nerves in my face. I have a couple of questions. My Dr seemed kind of cold and explained things very quickly leaving me to get mostly all of my information from the print out of my clinical summary from the nurse at his office. First did most or anyone on here go to see a different neurosurgeon for a second opinion? Does anyone have an annie in the same place? My Dr told me he didn't think that the headache I went to the hospital with was from the annie even though i have suffered migraines for years and this was much worse than any one before. He also said that he didn't think it had leaked, which makes me wonder why there was blood in the spinal tap? Its a very scary thing to be told and not a lot of info has been given to me. I Have an anxiety disorder and am nervous of heart palpitations affecting this. I am also waking up with headaches in the front of my head for the past three days right where it would hurt if you had a SINUS infection..Im just very scared about this whole thing and any information would help. I hope I'm posting my comment in the right place as I have never done this before...lol

Easy question first: It's much easier to stop the bleeding from a hole in your groin than in your neck. When I had my angiogram, the neuroradiologist used a special collagen seal device on my tiny incision, but if he hadn't been able to use it, I would have had to lie flat for hours with sandbags putting pressure on the groin. You can't put pressure on your external carotid that way. Even at the groin, they give you explicit warnings to immediately call an ambulance if it leaks or grows a big bulge once you leave the hospital.

Mine's 8 x 6 mm, and in the same location as yours. My neurosurgeon and nearly everything I have read comes to the same conclusion you did. Surgery risk is higher than watching risk. Mine can't be coiled because the ophthalmic artery comes out of it, so clipping risks are much higher than watching. My doctor also told me the risk of blindness is about 5% from a clipping procedure. If it is bigger a year from now, I will have to get rid of it.

Hi Sharon. I too have an un-ruptured Annie in the same location. I just found out this May and I am having it monitored back in November for the first time since I found out. I am so curious as to what you decided to do?

Hugs. AMY

Hi Sheri and Sharon,

I am also monitoring a 4.5 mm annie. Found out about 14 months ago, went for 6 month scan, no change. It's been 14 months now and I'm in the process of making an appointment for another checkup. I also get scanned at UCLA. I see you wrote this 3 years ago. Do you have an update on your annie? Has it grown?

Thanks for any help.