Just been told I have a 'small brain Aneurysm'... but that's all I know?!

Hey Freddie,
“…I get worried at the Slightest twinge…”
I have to say that’s pretty damn normal, especially after the initial diagnosis. I was on tender hooks with every pain, sensation, ache etc. The doctors deal with this sort of thing on a daily basis and can seem a bit blasé about it all, but we the patients can’t be so blasé. I think the best advice here is ‘Be aware, but not alarmed’. I make that sound easy, but we all know it just ain’t that simple.

For me now, pain is fairly much ‘Normal’ (That is, if you can ever call it ‘normal’) . I now look for a progression of symptoms ie Headache = normal. Tingles in my hands and feet = concerning. Visual distortions = a bit more concerning. If things progress further and if the medications don’t help, I need medical attention. Over time I have learnt which aches/pains/symptoms I can manage or I consider normal, anything outside of that, I need to act. I have been to hospital with concerns, only to be sent home. But by the same accord I have ignored things as being normal, only to find that there was an issue. But over time I have learnt the signs better.

Google can be good at giving general information, but should NEVER be used as a bible when it comes to serious health concerns. I would have to say that I’ve lost count of how many people hit the panic button because of ‘Dr Google’. There are many variables ie size, location, surrounding structures etc. all of which can have a huge impact both on the patient and the medicos interpretation of the situation. A consult with a qualified neurologist/neurosurgeon is the only way to have your own personal situation assessed, Dr Google cannot give you that.

P.S. “Not sure what area you are from…” If you place your cursor on the members avatar, in this case, Mike’s picture next to his name and click, it will bring up some of Mike’s profile details including location.

Hope it helps
Merl from the Moderator Support Team

1 Like

Freddie, I second everything Merl has stated. Be wary of searching the Internet. Remember everyone reacts differently so there’s no exact science in regards to aneurysms. Although there are guidelines for the doctors. What works for one, may not work for another. The “bumpy” type of aneurysms are very rare and referred to as daughter sacs. I picture it as the difference between a blueberry and blackberry.