Job stress and blobbo

well, I have talked quite a bit about the fact that I’ve decided to go in this summer and have my aneurysms clipped. It’s a bit of a rare aneurysm and I don’t need it lurking around my life anymore. What I’m dealing with right now is that I have an extremely stressful job and it’s causing a lot of unpleasant side effects. I’m not sleeping, my eating habits are terrible and I have massive headaches, along with Gastro intestinal issues. I worry that this type of stress can be hard on my aneurysm. Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

1 Like

Hey Abby,
Stress has the effect of raising our blood pressure, that is well known. An annie (depending on a few variables) can weaken the walls of blood vessels, so to my way of thinking, stress would definitely be a contributing factor.

Now, you talk of ‘extremely stressful job’, but it’s not just work stress that contributes. Sleep (or lack of), bad eating habits, gastro issues etc, etc… They all add to it too. The trick is to find the best way for you to manage with minimal symptoms. I say ‘minimal’ because I’m symptomatic every day. I try to work around what I can on the day. For example, I have bad light sensitivity. Bright sunlight is sure to affect me. So either I wait for a cloudy day for outside tasks or wait until dusk before venturing out. If I MUST go out I medicate myself before and have to be prepared to manage symptoms after. I ‘try’ to avoid known triggers, but it’s not always possible. I have to be prepared to deal with it.

Merl from the Modsupport Team

I can really relate to what you’re saying. I worked in an ER for 20 years and ended up not working there anymore after my aneurysm. It’s been an interesting Journey figuring out what I can actually still do and what I no longer want to do to myself. Although I was deemed unable to return to work, I still had to go through the emotional part of letting go of my career.

I’ve also had ongoing problems with sleep post aneurysm. I had problems before the aneurysm from just plain old stress and crazy rotating shift changes. For me the aneurysm has been a journey of finding out how I want my life to be different now. Some of the differences have been by choice and some haven’t.

1 Like

My job was also super stressful. I ruptured at work! I could feel my blood pressure rising. An ambulance was called and after two weeks in ICU, 7 weeks in a rehab facility and 4 months in another facility I was well enough to stop treatment and continue on with my life. I never did return to work. I recommend getting yours repaired asap.

2 Likes