Intrathecal pain pump

I had a clipping of an aneurysm 5 years ago and this past February I had all the hardware removed due to a couple years of severe headaches. The thought was that the removal of the hardware would help the headaches. I have tried many rounds of nerve blocks as well as a ton of different medications.
I am currently being referred for an intrathecal pain pump.
Does anyone have any experience with the pain pump?

First I’ve heard of it Sfw918. I hope our members can help.

Hey Sfw918,
I have had a pain pump but mine was vascular(IV) and not intrathecal. It was at a set dose at a set time. If I had breakthrough pain I could push a button and get a smaller ‘top up’ dose but this was limited ie I couldn’t push it twice/hr to get more drug. Part of the issue is that over time the dose needed to be bigger and bigger to have the same effect. So it was very regulated.
Being that an intrathecal is a feed into the CSF the dose is lot smaller as it’s not processed via the liver, also the medication receptors in the brain are more accessible via the CSF, with less likelihood of building a tolerance or needing a ‘bigger and bigger’ dose.
Head pain can simply be unbelievable. To be honest I had no idea pain like that existed until I was living it. I’ve tried to explain it to others, they just don’t ‘get it’. I often explain it like this “You hurt your arm and it’s your arm that affected, but when it’s your brain it affects EVERYTHING”. Some understand this, but others just don’t.
I do hope the Pain Pump brings you the relief you are seeking.

Merl from the Moderator Support Team

1 Like

Thank you I am hoping it will be helpful. Nothing else has worked. Anyone else have experience with a pain pump?