I need some help with some answers

I suffered a brain ameurysm and another I had to get coiled back in 09' and it affected my right side a little bit(you can't notice it) from a minor stroke and they had to put a screen in my gut for clots and a shunt in my head and I was wondering what I'm allowed to do, no one has ever told me what I can do and not do. I want too play sports again and play soccer with my daughter but when I exercise I get a little scared of it happening again......so if some one can help me out with this that would be great, thanx......and this is my story too share, it was way too long for me to write out...http://blogs.jeffersonhospital.org/atjeff/2012/04/05/a-subarachnoid-hemorrhage-patients-journey/

Have you asked your surgeon what you can or cannot do? I was told no smoking, no heavy drinking, no heavy lifting, no unnecessary stress, keep Bp under control...etc., You really need to ask your Doctors...~ Colleen

Hi Brian,

I'd most definately ask your Neurosurgeon about your limitations, if any. Are you having after-angiograms to check the status of your coils on a routine basis? If not, I think I'd have the doctor schedule one in to make sure your coils are stable and not compacting ( I had a clipping in 1998, a coil after an sah/6 week coma in 2006, then a clipping to correct the compacted coils in 2010.)...I was one of the unsual ones as I had zero followup to the coil and had no idea they could compact or cause more problems for me (until they did! I felt fine right up until I collapsed and found myself back in the hospital, all very sudden) So talk to your doctor! Peace, Janet

hi brian! thanks for sharing such a personal and amazing story! Yes please call the neurosurgery at Jeff--Phone:(215) ■■■■■■■■, we must be our own advocates. I talked with nurse Cindy a few times- she is very helpful- you can call at any time- they will at least forward your name , number and your issue and will call you back promptly but lately I've talked directly to nurses, Do be careful tho- not once did anyone tell me this to be careful- they seem to think we are fixed and that is that, end of story. I even had to call my ex boss and ask him to install a grab bar in the shower which he thankfully did! Very little help or even advice was given. All I know was learned on this site except the therapist said not to bend over so far and have head lower than my heart. She said the doctor told you this right? I said nooo -I sah'ed in 09@ Jeff too on june 26th and I have a shunt which they wont remove because it facilitates csf circulation and would be unnecessary and risky to remove- that I also learned on here! they will probably tell you to "listen" to your body- rest when needed etc etc, anyways best of luck to you and will keep you in thoughts and prayers!

You should call the doctor for specifics in your case. But here is some information I have gathered from my doctors, this forum and other sources.

Avoid all contact sports.

Keep you head protected in any situation where you may have an impact.

Avoid high G-Forces, Roller Coasters, Stunt Planes, Race Cars, Etc.

No water diving below a few feet.

No heavy lifting. 25 LBs seems to be the limit. Cardio exercise is OK but anything that can make you strain is out.

Keep Blood Pressure under control.

In a nutshell, avoid anything that can cause head trauma or strain the arteries.