Headaches after coils

Anyone else suffer headaches and balance loss after coils?

Hi Jeanmarie
I haven’t had any trouble with balance but my migraines have definitely increased since my surgery in July. I have had migraines since I was young but they were a rare occurrence. They were even more rare once I was on aspirin therapy after I had a stroke 20 years ago. I maybe got one or two a year. Since my surgery I get them once or twice a week. However I am lucky because I get a visual aura and vision disturbance before the bad headache hits so I can often head off the worst of it if I take something as soon as I notice the aura. The balance is concerning though and something you certainly should talk to your doctor about. Where was your aneurysm? Mine was a basilar tip aneurysm.

I had 5 coils in my right choroid arterie I know I spelled it wrong but once again I have a major migraine before my Annie I never had a migraine and I had no symptoms mine was found incidentally

Memory seems to be an issue also it’s scary. All my scans are good though thank god

Krispiek said:
Hi Jeanmarie
I haven't had any trouble with balance but my migraines have definitely increased since my surgery in July. I have had migraines since I was young but they were a rare occurrence. They were even more rare once I was on aspirin therapy after I had a stroke 20 years ago. I maybe got one or two a year. Since my surgery I get them once or twice a week. However I am lucky because I get a visual aura and vision disturbance before the bad headache hits so I can often head off the worst of it if I take something as soon as I notice the aura. The balance is concerning though and something you certainly should talk to your doctor about. Where was your aneurysm? Mine was a basilar tip aneurysm.

What does yout aura look like?

Not sure what Aura is?

Krispiek said:
Hi Jeanmarie
I haven't had any trouble with balance but my migraines have definitely increased since my surgery in July. I have had migraines since I was young but they were a rare occurrence. They were even more rare once I was on aspirin therapy after I had a stroke 20 years ago. I maybe got one or two a year. Since my surgery I get them once or twice a week. However I am lucky because I get a visual aura and vision disturbance before the bad headache hits so I can often head off the worst of it if I take something as soon as I notice the aura. The balance is concerning though and something you certainly should talk to your doctor about. Where was your aneurysm? Mine was a basilar tip aneurysm.

What does your aura look like?

Jeanmarie said:
Not sure what Aura is?

Im sorry, I hit reply on the wrong post

Yes, I have both. Both increased in intensity and were continuous. Had concussion before where all got worse also. I wish you well in finding some relief! I hope it is a short journey… :wink:

Hi jeanmarie, I had surgery on 2/24/26 with coils and stents, and have had headaches (on and off) since then. My neurosurgeons office NP said this can happen. Every time I get a headache I get a little scared because I had the worse headache of my life in Jan 2016 which is what prompted me to get checked out. I try to not take anything for them, but if they are bad enough I may take some medicine. No balance loss though.

Jeanmarie

I had a clipping instead but I have suffered from headaches ever since. Thank goodness they are being treated successfully. I'm glad you mentioned you have balance issues because I thought that was only me. If I bend down or move the position of my head too quickly, I start spinning and almost feel ill. My balance stinks and that is something that nobody has been able to explain to me or treat. It has actually limited my activities (no exercising (other than moderate walking), etc.) and that is very frustrating.

Carol

If I move to fast I go completely off balance,my neurologist said because I had the coils placed that it’s almost like a traumatic brain injury which is upsetting to hear but like he said the surgery saved your life

Yes the reason mine has been so bad for ao long is bc I had the initial concussion. My rehab doctor explained that it was like having multiple concussions - not good and still happening! My surgery was 9.30.13

Jeanmarie

I totally agree. Any surgery for an aneurysm is, by all definitions, definitely considered a TBI, no guessing on that front.

Carol

Jeanmarie said:

If I move to fast I go completely off balance,my neurologist said because I had the coils placed that it's almost like a traumatic brain injury which is upsetting to hear but like he said the surgery saved your life

An aura is a visual disturbance that precedes a migraine. It can present itself in different ways. Usually it seems like there are spots or lines impairing your vision. Like if you were reading a book you could only see part of the words. Mine is different now after my surgery. It’s looks like lightening bolts in front of my eyes. Hope that kind of explained it. Not everyone who gets true migraines get an aura but many do. It’s one of the hallmarks of true migraines