Head pain for 8 months and counting. Any help/suggestions appreciated

@Mary, we do ah e some members who have tried Botox. As with any medications, some it helps and some it doesn’t. Do you remember Pamprin and Midol? When I worked in factories, one type or another was always kept for the women for cramps. The guys were bad about nabbing it. They both have caffeine and acetaminophen or aspirin depending on the decade, plus something else, I can’t recall.

Here’s an article on why it works: Does caffeine treat or trigger headaches? - Mayo Clinic Health System

Hope your headaches go away! Mine did for the most part, but it took a few years.

All the best,
Moltroub

Hi Mary, my name is Mary, too. My doctors wouldn’t give me most migraine meds for about 15 years because I had an unruptured cerebral aneurysm. I have normally low-ish blood pressure and they did not want it to spike. The acetaminophen, butalbital, caffeine, and codeine pills were important for me, but that is how I learned that acetaminophen gives me the rebound headache. For years I depended on it anyway, because I had few options. After I got my Pipeline installed, I have tried plenty of things for migraine. Most meds don’t work for me or they make things worse. I finally got a doctor who would write the combo with aspirin instead of acetaminophen. I have old bottles of oxycodone, they last me well past expiration, because I reserve that for the sharpest migraine pains. I am one of those people who get nauseated by the “oxy” meds.

Coffee can have a lot of health benefits, but then some people can’t tolerate it or caffeine. Life is a big experiment. Some people want to share what they learn, others want to hoard knowledge. I am in the sharing camp. A daily espresso helps me.

The best thing to reduce migraine syndrome for me is not medicinal. It is to reduce exposure to all the things my allergist tells me I am allergic to, or what I can obviously tell makes me sick. There will always be headaches for me because I can’t really avoid everything I should. Also, I have other health issues. Plus, migraines are caused by other stressors in life. The cerebral implant is one.

I recommend you ask your doctor for the combo with codeine and discuss whether the aspirin version might be safer for you. Everybody is unique.

One of my biggest problems is constant tinnitus. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

BarbT,

How are you now? That is really good news that you found an answer to the headaches and vomiting. It sounds like you really went through a lot.

Regards,
Mary2014

1 Like

I’ve tried Botox prior to my aneurism diagnosis and surgery, due to migraines. There are approv 30 small injections in the face, neck and shoulders which sucks but the needles are super small and if you’ve had migraines and get them as many as I had (20 + per month), it was worth a try! I get the shorts every three months and my insurance covers them with my $40 copay.

They say it takes 3 times to really see if it helps. I’m on my forth set of injections and it seems to be helping but my forth injection was in June and I had my surgery last week so Idk. I track my headaches and in Ive gone down to 10 headaches a month. Seems better! The good thing with Botox is you can still try it with your other medications. I also take the monthly injection Emgality, topomax and Nurtec (as needed). I used to take triptans but the doc wanted me to discontinue due to aneurism.

Please don’t forget NSAIDs will also cause rebound headaches, so be careful taking them. In fact I wouldn’t take anymore than the manufacture pr recommends, if one of our members is, please see your PCP or Neurologist.

All the best
Moltroub

I get killer headache from my crany, that I had 12 years ago. The only way I get rid of them is to go to bed turn off all the lights take one drug a Valium to get rid of these. I get about 15 to 20 a month. Unfortunately the way that they went away was when I got cancer, I got leukemia and had a heavy dose of chemotherapy but the problem with the amount of chemotherapy has killed my body. I have been in the hospital since June 15 to treat my wounds that chemotherapy cause to my body.

1 Like

@Ray_D I am sorry you’ve been in the hospital for so long. Hopefully you’ve been able to have friends and family visit every now and then. Please stay in touch, we are here for you.

All the best,
Moltroub