Has ANYONE over 60 survived a ruptured brain aneurysm?

Dear Emily,

Thank you for sharing your story with me. I am so sorry to hear about your mother. Truly, this kind of thing should never happen, and absolutely cannot keep happening to good people. There has to be something done.

My father wasn't in the best of health, and I know that, but I still wanted him around just for my own sake of being able to get another day to call him my dad. It's so awful that this can just happen suddenly and without any warning. Your mother is so lucky to be alive, but either way, there sadly is no good way out a rupture the older that you are. It seems like it's either you end up dying or you are left in such a condition. I wished that wasn't the case but it's the reality for most, as I have only heard of a very few older people to recover almost fully.

I never thought I'd ever have to find this kind of courage, but I find it hard to accept that my dad died when he didn't have to. I still have so many "what ifs" myself, but I am very slowly coming to terms with this. If my dad could talk to me right now, he'd probably want me to keep going the best way I know how. I want to prevent this from happening to as many others as I can. His death will not be in vain.

My sympathies are with you. I lost my mom suddenly, and like you, we were more than close. Mostly, it will take time to find solace. Even then, there will be an ache in your heart. I also watched my dad battle the effects of diabetes for years. As difficult as it was to lose my mom so suddenly, it was easier than watching her suffer. I survived my aneurysm rupture, and I am most thankful that my children didn’t lose their mom at 56, and most sorry for scaring them so. Remember the love you had for each other and know that he is at rest in a better place.