Getting ready to have open miscro-surgery for DACA aneurysm that has 3 outpouches

I am at 4 months post surgery and feel great. I am having random episodes of dizziness that doesn’t stop when I sit. My blood pressure seems to drop and I’m unable to communicate or hear. When this occurred pre-surgery, it followed with passing out. This last time a couple weeks ago, I remained sitting but had all the other symptoms so went via ambulance from work. MRI was great, but they questioned the hole in my heart contributing to the old strokes I’ve had. I went to my cardiologist who refuted that and vehemently denies the hole has any bearing on impending or old strokes (he’s known about the hole for a couple years). BUT my clips are fine and no one seems to know what the cause of these episodes are. . Otherwise I do really feel good, but am ready for my PJ’s and sleep after work still :slight_smile:

Thanks so much for updating us! My better half is having an implant to monitor heart rhythm due to dizziness by the cardiologist, they think it might be AFIB. Brother in Law was born with a hole in his heart, he never had a stroke. He had lots of issues caused by the medication, but never an ischemic stroke.

With my initial brain MRI, they saw the old strokes and stated it was ischemic disease. I did wear a Holter monitor for all of 3 days 2 weeks ago, but that to me was a waste of time for such a short period. All it showed, the cardiologist said was indicate that once in a while it would do an extra beat. He didn’t know why and didn’t offer anything else. I’m going to call another local Dr. to at least get a second opinion. The same issue happened twice this weekend. It’s great to hear from you!

I think the Holter is the first step for a cardiologist to determine issues, though I bypassed that one and went to a cardio angiogram. That was a few decades ago and the wonderful PCP I had at that time was upset with the ER who had treated me for gas and then sent me home without checking my heart. The cardio group was giving me to a different doctor every time I went and they would change my meds, she put a stop to that as well. After I ruptured, I changed cardiologist groups when the one I had said my heart issues were only because I was having angiograms. I don’t do research on heart issues. In my little brain, the brain trumps the heart. Lol but I would suggest starting with the AHA for looking up heart issues. Good luck!

It’s not silly to worry. It’s more than normal for us. Stay encouraged and try to live your life. Praying for the best. It can be scary, but we can win.

2 Likes

Hi Moltroub,
I wanted to run something by you. Since my October surgery, I’ve been pain free. For the past two weeks, my skull is so painful - anything touching it is excruciating. I can only wear my glasses for a few minutes at a time. It’s not migraine type pain. If I make an expression that moves my forehead, even that hurts. It’s so weird to be this far away from the surgery to go backwards :frowning:

I did put a call into my surgeon’s office because I’m also running a low-grade temp. and am feeling just blah all the way around.

Mumma1970, I haven’t had a craniotomy, I hope those members who have had one can answer your concerns. I’m glad you called the surgeon! I wonder if it’s the nerves healing from the surgeon cutting through the scalp?

I found this https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK482297/ but not sure it will help. The article does mention for the doctor to rule out causes.

This was very helpful. Thank you! One of the surgeons finally called yesterday and while he did acknowledge it was uncommon for symptoms to pop up this far away post-op, he said I was still healing and as long as the incision site seems infection-free, to give it more time.

1 Like